Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Rules

Likes (received)

Default The Rules

Not sure if this has ever been discussed but here goes.

The rules.

In your Dojo what are some of the rules? What rules are strictly enforced? Which are not.

In the university, we had to make up some guidence .....kind of rules. One of the ones that I am very set on is be on time to the practice.As well as do not play around as some one may ge hurt. You would not believe how many university students want try something that they saw on tv. I also try to encourage good communication between the students as well as them with me. That one is a toughy though. Many people forget. Oh well.
    Mark Posselius

Yep, and the practice goes on!!!

b19vny Guest

Ah, the rules.

When I was starting out everything was very strict - get on the mat BEFORE the session starts, if you arrive late kneel and wait to be allowed on to the mat, no jewellery, no swearing, don't leave without permission . . . usual good manners really.

I've seen ALL of these broken (sometimes all in in the space of a one-hour session).

It's the thin end of the wedge . . . people now have the attitude that they've paid for a service and THEY are the most important thing at the club . . . so can pretty much do what they want. This is in part down to the instructors who are scared that they will lose money if people leave and so let minor things pass . . . which then turn into diabolical liberties.

I don't make a very good club senior as I bark and growl at this type of thing and it upsets students and instructors alike!

Likes (received)

Just so no one else tells you first ....you need to sign your full name at the bottom

Yea I am glad that I am not paid for teaching at the moment at the university ....I make the rules and if the students don't like it...they are gone from that club.
    Mark Posselius

Likes (received)

Behave like an adult.

Rob

Likes (received)

I have a full page rule sheet that is passed out to new students, I suspect it is pretty generic. But for the kid's classes I enforce four rules:

1. Listen
    2. Be Aware
    3. Do Your Best
    4. Do Not Touch Others

It may seem contrary to teaching a martial art, but the fastest way to get thrown out of class is to hit or kick someone without the instructor's direction and permission. (I let them hit and kick me at certain times, and of course we do one-on-one drills.)
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Rob Alvelais
    Behave like an adult.

Rob

Mr. Alvelais

I like that one! A good lesson for aa lot of people.
    Mark Posselius

Likes (received)

I have a rules question. In WKF rules a mouth guard is a required piece of equipment. What if the contestant doesn't have any teeth. Can he go with out the mouthpiece if he doesn't use his false teeth or does he need to wear his teeth and mouthguard?

Thanks
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

I'm not an expert, but I would bet that the mouthpiece is going to be required, with or without teeth!
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan