Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Shinken

Likes (received)

Originally posted by heresjonny
    Going back to the whole sword-making thing,

Why don't they make titanium bladed shinken? There probably is an obvious answer but I'd have thought they'd be:

-lighter?

-stronger?

-cheaper?
    Lighter? Yes.

Stronger? Probably, but maybe less ductile (I don't kow that much about titanium).

Cheaper? I don't think so. Iron and carbon (the components of steel) are plentiful, but titanium is more precious. It's also hader, from what I know, to work with.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

what is the strongest metal?

Likes (received)

Default Hmmmm note on what to purchase

Well now, after looking at their site I would probably be apt to say that these apear to be similar in nature to the Hanwei products. they give you a littel insight on how they do things if you delkve into their site a bit. First thing, research HOW the blades are made- what method. The usage of the sword will dictate what you need and how it is made. Personally, I have never heard of this Yamato method. There are four major schools that teach these four major methods and this is not one of them. Secondly- beware-these are "possibly" made in Thailand. The name Sivarat is a Thai name. No one blast me for this but for starters I have a family member that is Thai, I also own a couple of GENUINE handmade Thai battle blades. So I am not speaking from not knowing anything. Some of the Thai steel is not the best in the world and the methods for putting blade and tsuka together are not the best either, IMHO. I may be completely wrong but NOWHERE can I find info on WHERE these swords are made and what steels are used.
    In my personal, humbly presented opinion, and assessment- this is a new company only 3-4 years old, they have a number of distributors- mostly in Canada and Europe. You will also notice that all of their e-distributors listed on their distributor page are owned by the same company. I delved a little further than face value with the pages. A little suspicious methinks. Price and value wise I think I would stick with a name that has a track record in performance and value for someone that has little experience or knowledge with sword such as Paul Chen or Last Legends. Of course you can ALWAYS find the best and more expensive daito blades in Japan- particularly if you buy one direct from one of the schools- if they will sell you one.

just my opinion, once again, feeling the need to blurt out in class,

Ed Green
    Ed Green
    http://www.Budoweapons.com

Most times I find that if I just read and listen that foot never seems to enter my mouth.

Likes (received)

Has the Paul Chen Folded Orchid Katana got much going for it?

I've heard it being recommended as a good iai katana and a reliable cutting sword, plus the aesthetics leave me drooling...

Also, all the swords I practice/know/knowof practice with the katana or the tachi. Does anyone know of a way I could learn to use the wakizashi, a katana & tanto or...

...two katana at once? (Myamoto Musashi Style)
    Jonathan Freeman

Correct Thought Is The Essence Of Being.

Likes (received)

Default YEp

Jonathan,
    the entire folded line from PC is very good (hence the reason I want the tiger set). However make sure you are getting the latest gen of them. PC always makes continual improvments to the blades he puts out- increased tang lengths, more accurate tempering on blades, etc , etc. to be sure you are getting these improvements you need to find a reputable dealer. email me to find out how to get them.
    If all you want is iai practice blades then I would suggest looking at one of his finest iaido blades. I do not recommend iaido practice with a live blade(meaning sharp). One slip, and you could lose a finger- thumb or what have you. TRUST ME- I almost cut my thumb off last year doing this very stupid thing. Fortunately I moved it out of the way JUST in time but got a nasty cut all the same and I didn't even know it had happened until I saw blood running down my hand.
    As for cutting, if all you want is cutting use the practical plus. Ok you'll spend $1000 bucks on a katana. You cut WRONG ONE time with it and you bend the blade. It will cost you $1000 or more to send it out to someone to have it restraightened, retempered- then repolished for another $30-40 PER INCH. The blade will never be the same again the tempering will be different, etc. It isn't worth taking a blade of that expense and potentially ruining it for the sake of cutting a mat. Spend $250 on a practical plus Gen 2 or 3 for cutting. I use a sword that I don't mind if I lose it or not it is not my end all be all(and it's for sale too BTW- it is a PC Shinto only 2 years old, used for cutting, the blood has been cleaned off the blade BTW- hehehe).

As for Musashi style fighting- we did some of that in last years theme(at least in our dojo we did). Review some of the clips on Shinkentaijutsu.com (Shihans Phil Legare and Mike Pearce(s) authorized by Soke Hatsumi, training site from Japan). You might find something there.

Ed Green
    Last edited by green27712; 2nd February 2005 at 17:46.
    Ed Green

Most times I find that if I just read and listen that foot never seems to enter my mouth.

Likes (received)

Default HERE'S YOUR SIGN......

In response to the original question:

Go here a review on shinkenwhoseywhatsey:

shinkenmadeinthailand

Ed Green
    Ed Green

Likes (received)

...Also, all the swords I practice/know/knowof practice with the katana or the tachi. Does anyone know of a way I could learn to use the wakizashi, a katana & tanto or...
    The Kendo no Kata has at least one form that is wakizashi versus katana (probably more than one, but I don't practice Kendo, so I'm not positive).

Several of the koryu systems include wakizashi/shoto forms.

...two katana at once? (Myamoto Musashi Style)
    Unless I am mistaken, Musashi's nitto did not use two katana, but one katana and one wakizashi.

If I'm wrong, then I'm sure a member of the Hyoho Nitten Ichi Ryu (Musashi's style) will correct me. (Hyaku-san, are you there?)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

You'ra probably right, but I have seen a number of blockprints and old artwork showing samurai using two katana at once.
    Jonathan Freeman

Likes (received)

You'ra probably right, but I have seen a number of blockprints and old artwork showing samurai using two katana at once.
    While I find them often beautiful to look at, they are, nonetheless, stylized depictions of reality. With few exceptions the artists were not bushi, and didn't always know much about their subject matter.

It wasn't that important for the artists to get every detail right, because often those viewing the art didn't know much about the subject either, and wouldn't know what they were seeing; it was capturing the feeling of the subject that was important.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Corrections

Originally posted by Brian Owens
    The Kendo no Kata has at least one form that is wakizashi versus katana (probably more than one, but I don't practice Kendo, so I'm not positive).
    I'm home now, and checked. According to my references, the Kendo no Kata consist of 6 long-sword forms and 3 short-sword forms.

Originally posted by Brian Owens
    Unless I am mistaken, Musashi's nitto did not use two katana, but one katana and one wakizashi.

If I'm wrong, then I'm sure a member of the Hyoho Nitten Ichi Ryu (Musashi's style) will correct me. (Hyaku-san, are you there?)
    I mis-romanized the name of the ryu. It should be, according to Hyoho.com, Hyoho Niten Ichiryu. My apologies.

Also, an amplification to:
    ...I have seen a number of blockprints and old artwork showing samurai using two katana at once.
    One reason it may appear that two katana are being used in some artwork is because of perspective.

For instance, in this photo from Hyoho.com, the master appears to be using two equal-length swords at first glance.

Closer inspection reveals that the right-hand sword is actually a katana, and the left-hand sword is a wakizashi. But distortion of perception caused by perspective makes them appear to be nearly the same length.

Factor in the foreshortening effect of Japanese style painting, and it is easy to see how appearances could be deceiving.

This is not to say, of course, that there was never a single case of someone using two katana, just that it is not a common practice.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default oops!! I should read more carefully

Yep katana w/wakizashi is correct. I didn't read what he wrote but knew what he meant so I replied

Ed Green
    Ed Green

Likes (received)

Is it just me, or is this the world's most awesome habaki?

<http://www.japanszwaard.nl/z-t2.html>
    Jonathan Freeman

Likes (received)

Is it just me, or is this the world's most awesome habaki?

If you removed the butterflys I would like it better, but some people like this kind of fancy-work.

Habaki-making is really fascinating. The range of colors -- from pure yellow to solid black -- and textures -- from smooth metal to "mossy" -- that can be had be adding small amounts of silver, lead, copper, etc. to the gold is amazing.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Have saved up carefully, can afford up to around £2000/$4000 or if its a really, really (and I mean really nice) model I could stretch to $6000...

Custom jobs are nice, not as in customized form me (waiting times are too damn long) but as in a sword that is more or less unique.

The Swordstore japanese shinken are nice

(<http://www.swordstore.com/cgi-bin/ht...3860467413514?>)

if a little pricey...

...and yes, i know a decent japanese nihonto could easily cost in excess $20,000 of etc. etc.
    Jonathan Freeman

Likes (received)

The Bugei wave katana is nice...

...& semi- custom...

Some feedback on one of those or those listed above in my last post would be most helpful...

...please?
    Jonathan Freeman

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast