Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Enshin karate & Ashihara Karate

Likes (received)

Default Enshin karate & Ashihara Karate

hi all.

just wondering if anyone can tell me how enshin ("sabaki") karate is different from its parent of Ashihara karate? what's different or distingushing features does it have so that it became its own style? or is it just ashihara karate under another name? and more an "association" split type thing.

thanks you
    Xichen
    Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.ozmaforums.com

tamashi Guest

Default Re: Enshin karate & Ashihara Karate

Originally posted by Nyumonsha
    hi all.

just wondering if anyone can tell me how enshin ("sabaki") karate is different from its parent of Ashihara karate? what's different or distingushing features does it have so that it became its own style? or is it just ashihara karate under another name? and more an "association" split type thing.

thanks you
    If you do some quick searches, it may be helpful for you.
    here are a few previous threads you will find:

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...light=ashihara

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...ghlight=enshin

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...baki+challenge

Likes (received)

Lo Xichen,

Let me preface by saying, Hello there. I have been reading this forum for awhile and was greatful that at least there were some people who know their stuff and were old enough to have driver's licenses.

As per your question, I consider Ashihara the style of karate that I have studied longest, continually, and my old instructor was one the head Hombu instructor before he came to the United States (Yoshida Sensei). He did stay in Denver for awhile and believe he is still friends with Ninomiya. I have never met Ninomiya, but have met several Enshin Karate members and have practiced with a former Enshin Karateka. One of my Sampai was the middle weight Sabaki challenge winner in '91 (Mitsayasu Shigeta).

I agree with the well informed threads listed above. My feelings are that some of the techniques in Enshin have been adopted to more tournament style, though tough stuff it is, and have more of an emphasis on sweeps and certain movements that are similar to judo. This is in comparison to Ashihara that still seems to emphasize cutting kicks instead of sweeps. Also, when we practice, we try very hard to turn the opponent so you either move yourself to a position where you can strike him to his back, or move him so that his back is facing me. This can be accomplished with both hands...any way that you can do it is fine, but there is a Sabaki paradigm that is given for accomplishing this.

I think you will see a much closer resemblance between Ashihara and Enshin than either when compared to Kyokushin.

Warmest regards,

-Brad Burklund
    Brad Burklund

Bustillo, A. Guest

Originally posted by Brad Burklund
    Lo Xichen,

... my old instructor was one the head Hombu instructor before he came to the United States (Makoto Yoshida Sensei).One of my Sampai was the middle weight Sabaki challenge winner in '91 (Mitsayasu Shigeta).

-Brad Burklund

I know about Yoshida separating from the Ashihara organization and doing his own brand of karate now. Whatever happened to Shigeta?

Likes (received)

Default thanks.

thanks for the thread links shall read them tonight and probley will cover my question.

my exposure was kyokushin and ashihara. ninomya was a "fav" kyokushin people / inspiration. royama and ashihara were/are 2 heros of mine too hehe..

anyways i recently saw the video of enshin karate and i really didnt see any particular deference to "ashihara karate" and so wonder what made enshin karate its own entity / "claim to fame" etc... emphasis on positioning, zoning, use of hand grabbing for push/pull, forward throw & backward throw etc etc

so just curious...

shall check out the threads...

thanks all

Xichen
    Xichen
    Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.ozmaforums.com

tamashi Guest

Default Re: thanks.

Originally posted by Nyumonsha
    thanks for the thread links shall read them tonight and probley will cover my question.

my exposure was kyokushin and ashihara. ninomya was a "fav" kyokushin people / inspiration. royama and ashihara were/are 2 heros of mine too hehe..

anyways i recently saw the video of enshin karate and i really didnt see any particular deference to "ashihara karate" and so wonder what made enshin karate its own entity / "claim to fame" etc... emphasis on positioning, zoning, use of hand grabbing for push/pull, forward throw & backward throw etc etc

so just curious...

shall check out the threads...

thanks all

Xichen
    I hope the threads are helpful for you.

You also might want to read his book:
    “My Journey in Karate”. It is a Autobiography
    and not a technique book. He does present
    some of his reasons for leaving Ashihara and
    starting Enshin Karate in this book.
    This gives his perspective on his early training
    in Kyokushin, the transition to Ashihara karate,
    and his development of Enshin karate.

For technique, he has written a book
    readily available on Sabaki method, and
    also has a series of videos (I, II, & III)
    which are really very well done.

I have met him (briefly) twice, and he
    is a very nice person as well.

Likes (received)

Antonio,
    Hi there! To answer your question I still train with Shigeta. We are at the dojo that Yoshida Sensei started in California. Through Shigeta I have also met and had dinner a few times with one of the heads of Kyokushin (Kenji Midori). They seem to travel in the same circles. Shigeta's technical ability has also grown. Very good karate-ka in my opinion.

As for Yoshihda Sensei, he went on to develiop his Sabaki methodology further and incorporated his take on martial arts. He now promotes a style called Shitaikudo. The last time I had seen him was last year when he came by to visit in California with a number of former Ahsihara branch leaders who had sort of gone over to his martial arts.

After, Koncho's death there was a lot of hemming and hawing and not a lot consolidation within the style. And like what always happens...a lot of politics. In any case the dojo that I am at is "connected" to the Japanese Hombu, but is not affiliated with any of the European, South African, or any other institution that I am aware of calling itself Ashihara Karate. I suspect that we are tolerated more or less out of polite accetance as being sort of a Yoshida legacy dojo in California.

I hope this helps. And very nice to make your acquaintance...I have perused this forum for awhile, but thought well of it when I read through some of the threads.

Regards,

--Brad Burklund
    Brad Burklund

Likes (received)

Does anyone know where I can get Ashihara Sensei's books ? I heard their out of print now . I used to have the 1st one , but , I gave it to a Kyokushin instructor I used to train w/ in my teens . Now , I'm kicking myself , for it . I seen them on Ebay a while ago , for almost $100 , & I think thats a bit much .

David

Likes (received)

David,
    RE: Ashihara books
    Sorry, there all out of print. The reasoning was that it contained Ninomiya's photos in it. (I was told a different story about the break up between Ashihara and Ninomiya by some I trust, but it would be more or less conjecture at this time). I used to have two sets and both vidos, but people have "borrowed" them and moved away. The only thing as a consolation that I might offer is that I do have a photo copied compendium that was made for me, using my books, and that is all that remains. I have also loaned this out a couple of times, but when I get it back (depending upon the legality of making a copy of a copy), I'd be happy to send this to you. There are also additonal bits of information added by some of my Sampai that shows movement of kata and the like.

Regards,

Brad Burklund
    Brad Burklund

Likes (received)

Thank you for your reply . Yes , I'd like a copy very much . You could contact me off line if you would like at dsomers45@hotmail.com . Thanks in advance .

David

Bustillo, A. Guest

Antonio,
    ..... I still train with Shigeta. We are at the dojo that Yoshida Sensei started in California. .... Shigeta's technical ability has also grown. Very good karate-ka in my opinion.

In any case the dojo that I am at is "connected" to the Japanese Hombu, but is not affiliated with any of the European, South African, or any other institution that I am aware of calling itself Ashihara Karate.
    I hope this helps. And very nice to make your acquaintance...I have perused this forum for awhile, but thought well of it when I read through some of the threads.

Regards,

--Brad Burklund
    Brad, yes this helps. I had wondered about Shigeta's whereabouts. I always thought he was among the best fighters in the sabaki Challenge. Sharp, crisp technique, graat timing.

If your dojo has a website pass it on.

Likes (received)

Antonio,
    If it's of any interest to you, here is our website.

http://www.ashihara-karate-usa.com

Below you will find two movie links, one of which is Shigeta Sampai, the other is of myself . You will need Quick Time. At the time neither one of us knew that the instructor wanted to set up a website and include a digital movie. So they just said move around and do something that looks relatively clean.

http://www.ashihara-karate-usa.com/m...getaShihan.mov

http://www.ashihara-karate-usa.com/m...d-Shidouin.mov

By the way, I do not agree with the current instructor on all issues of curriculm or his take on Ashihara, but I am human and can't agree with everyone.

Most of the old Sampi left after Yoshida left, but Yoshida Sensei had asked Shigheta and myself to help out as much as possible. In any case, the website is mostly in Japanese, the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. We are still 98% Japanese and the only adult non-Japanese students are martial artists from other styles and a former boxer, both of whom were used to a lot of pummeling.

like I said, if you are interested. It's there.

By the way what styles of martial arts do you study and how did you come to note Shigetasan? He is a good friend of mine and an honorable man.

-Brad
    Brad Burklund

Bustillo, A. Guest

Antonio,
    If it's of any interest to you, here is our website.

By the way what styles of martial arts do you study

-Brad

Thanks for the links.

I was an Enshin karate Branch chief Instructor.

tamashi Guest

Default Enshin

FYI

There is a regional Sabaki Challenge in Virginia the
    end of January. Fighter Apps are due in one month:
    http://www.virginiakarate.com/2005_U...pplication.pdf

I have a couple of friends fighting in it.
    osu

Likes (received)

Antonio,

"I was an Enshin karate Branch chief Instructor."

A lot of questions in that statement. Though, very glad to meet you. Do you still teach and where are you located?

-Brad Burklund
    Brad Burklund

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast