Likes Likes:  0

Thread: USA GOJU Kata Name Meaning

Likes (received)

Default USA GOJU Kata Name Meaning

Trying to do a little research on the meaning behind one of the 60's / 70's era USA GOJU katas taught by Peter Urban Sensei. This kata name is listed on the back of one of his certificates issued during the ealry to mid 70's, and while I was taught it by one of Urban Sensei's senior students at the time, the meaning of the name was never made clear. The kata is called" Ginchoi". This is the spelling as it appears on the back of the certificate. I was hoping some other old time practioners might offer some insight. I understand this is no longer onthe active kata curriculum for USA GOJU, and hasnt been since the early 1980's.

Thanks for your time

Tom Smyth
    Gojudude

Lee Marsh Guest

Doesn't sound Japanese. Urban was notorious for making stuff up.

Likes (received)

GinChoi = not Nihon Go, but Chinese.

Gin ..... Fight
    Choi .... Fist

Also known as Mountain Giant in our circles during those days.
    Steven L. Malanoski

Likes (received)

Thanks For the reply. Do you remember the story behind its development ?? I was told many many years ago but as a typical young white belt, I didnt realize the importance of remembering such " trivia". All we wanted to do was fight, kata was a secondary thing in those days.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom Smyth
    Gojudude

Bokatu Guest

This may seem like a noob question but is all USA Goju from Peter Urban?.

Likes (received)

Yes in theory this is true, but not everything practiced by all USA Goju practitioners is as Mr. Urban taught. I'm sure he gets accreditied for a lot of stuff that is not his doing.
    My first Goju Sensei was from Mr. Urban's line. After the big split we went with the Goju Kai and reported to San Fransisco. From the stories of how the organization was run and how my elders were treated on their trips to California I am not sure Sensei made the right decision. In the long run it worked out though. What we did back then IMO was good solid Goju.

Some of our dojos still work EmpiHa. Sometime maybe the stuff you make up is best if that stuff is you?

After all "They are all made up" Aren't they?
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Post Kage ryu

As mentioned by Hanshi Malanoski, ginchio was a kata from back in the day. not as popular but was one that few have learned or even remember. I myself have learned and can only remember 3/4 of the kata.
    (TwinFistDragon Dojo) is Hanshi Diaz's & Shadowdragon dojo is mine

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Ginchoi

This has always been my favorite kata. My teacher was Nagayasu Ogasawara who ran Kokushi Dojo in Westwood NJ teaching Japanese Goju as he called it. As soon as I can figure out how to transfer videos of my forms onto disc I will try to post them on YouTube for inclusion hereabouts.
    Ous!
    BB

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    This has always been my favorite kata. My teacher was Nagayasu Ogasawara who ran Kokushi Dojo in Westwood NJ teaching Japanese Goju as he called it. As soon as I can figure out how to transfer videos of my forms onto disc I will try to post them on YouTube for inclusion hereabouts.
    Ous!
    BB

Responding to a long originated thread...I just can't help myself!

I first learned this kata back in the early 70's while training in a Nisei Goju dojo. I did have a chance to discuss Ginchoi with Sensei Ogasawara, who told me that he learned in NYC, and that the version he taught was different than the one trained in USA Goju.

Billyboy, did you train with an Ed B.?

Chris

Likes (received)

Wow, another Kokushi Dojo alum. Yes, Ginchoi was definitely part of the Kokushi syllabus, but it is different from the versions I've seen on the web, as it appears the version we did there was actually a combination of Ginchoi and Gesaku, another Urban-created kata. The syllabus also contained Empiha. I still gather with some of the alums a couple of times a week.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by chunmonchek View Post
    Responding to a long originated thread...I just can't help myself!

I first learned this kata back in the early 70's while training in a Nisei Goju dojo. I did have a chance to discuss Ginchoi with Sensei Ogasawara, who told me that he learned in NYC, and that the version he taught was different than the one trained in USA Goju.

Billyboy, did you train with an Ed B.?

Chris
    Chris, Ed Bach was a good friend back in the day! Have'nt seen him in like 25 years.
    Hope he and you are well!
    I have some video of him from 87 doing kata!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    Chris, Ed Bach was a good friend back in the day! Have'nt seen him in like 25 years.
    Hope he and you are well!
    I have some video of him from 87 doing kata!
    Billy Boy,

Just saw your post!

Ed's doing well. Still training Goju regularly with our group.

Ed's a very close friend.

If you want, I can put you in touch with him.

Chris