Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Open Letter Redux

Likes (received)

Lightbulb Open Letter Redux

Dear Folks:

I can't speak to whatever dynamics goes on among contributors here on this Forum. What I am posting about concerns the recent "open letter" to a Forum contributor concerning his apparent penchant for dealing with people whose use of language seems to fall below his expectation for them. To this I have nothing to contribute. It raises an interesting question, however, and one that strikes close to where I live as a practitioner of Korean Martial Arts (KMA).

People here will be familiar I think with the wide variance in terms, their transliteration back and forth among Japanese, Korean and Chinese as well as those nasty dialectic and spelling variances. For those to whom this is no special problem perhaps another string might be more thought-provoking. But for those of us who are concerned with the true difference between "lightening" and "a lightening bug" perhaps we might make a list of those tools which have proven to be the most helpful in guiding our communication skills. Certainly a good collegiate WEBSTERS or FUNK & WAGNELLS is a fine start for English. Does anyone have recommendations for Japanese? Korean? Chinese? Thoughts? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

"lightning", surely.

I wonder why the open letter to Tony is even still here. Pretty sure he's read it by now.
    David F. Craik

What I am posting about concerns the recent "open letter" to a Forum contributor concerning his apparent penchant for dealing with people whose use of language seems to fall below his expectation for them.
    That is a horrifying sentence.
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Publisher, The Martialist™
    For Those Who Fight Unfairly

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

Critticsim of my grammer, keebored skillz and sintax is a vissituedz up with which I shall not put!!

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Soulend

I wonder why the open letter to Tony is even still here. Pretty sure he's read it by now.
    Ive surly been wondering...

Likes (received)

Originally posted by chizikunbo
    Ive surly been wondering...
    Well, you can wonder but you dont have to be surly about it.

I love it, I love it, I love it gui gui gui.
    Douglas Wylie

Do not learn philosophy from fortune cookie.

Likes (received)

I see you have discovered my typing skills or lack there of

Likes (received)

THreaDS like this seem to have bzarre powers to prevent even the most reliable authors from completing a sentence without error. I shall not hope to fare any better.

I agree though, the open letter to Tony is getting a little stale... time it was allowed to slip away. Time to remove the sticky and watch it plummet to the bottom of the page.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

I know folks here who each other need to speak to whatever it is that they are feeling about the original post I cited. All the same, are there any folks who want to address my original question regarding resources? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

I think people who write in strange syntax should avoid bringing attention to the entire concept of the poor spelling, grammar, and sentence structure that characterize contemporary public writing.
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Likes (received)

I've always thought that professional writers/copywriters/editors and the like must find public forums like this a mild form of torture. It must be like seeing your car driven by a drunk at times.
    Paul Kerr

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

I'm sure thats true. Are there resources folks would like to share?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

I've always thought that professional writers/copywriters/editors and the like must find public forums like this a mild form of torture. It must be like seeing your car driven by a drunk at times.
    Not so much if you keep it in perspective. I don't proof my posts and I write much less formally (read: I break my own rules) when I "converse" in this manner, because it's recreational. Topics like this tend to set my teeth to grindin', though, because it's hard to avoid looking at the things I'm trying not to look at. Ha! I just ended a sentence with a preposition!

I tend to copyedit radio advertisements in my head when driving in the car. I can't help it; when I hear a sentence in marketing material that isn't right, I can hear the little voice in my head correcting it.
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人