Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Looking for Good Sowrd maker of excellent rep.

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by K. Cantwell
    Mr. Roberto,

I think the problem here is one of perception.

You believe you are entitled to answers simply because you surfed here and posted a question.

Yet, you agreed to a set of rules upon registering. You believe your "right" to answers supercedes your obligation to follow the rules. Most members here don't believe this. Why should your needs be addressed if you can't show respect for the website owner's wishes?

Many beginners come here and get answers to their questions. They first show a modicum of respect by obeying Mr. Lindsey's simple rule of full names on each post. Why should you be treated any differently?

It's Mr. Lindsey's house. As guests, it's only polite to obey his rules. After all, you did agree to them upon registering. It at least shows that it’s not all about you.

Why is this such a big deal for you? Did you make a conscious decision to disobey this rule when you signed up or did you come to this decision after your first post? Why would you consciously go back on your agreement to abide by the rules of the site?

For most of us here, obeying the rules goes along with the training. When someone goes out of their way to break such a simple rule as this, it raises some eyebrows.

(It's quite obvious by now, afer several posts, that you are doing this on purpose. I ask again: Why?)
    Kevin Cantwell
    First of all Mr. Cantwell. You need to read from the start. This has nothing to do with "obeying the rules". I did not break any rules of this forum and I am not doing anything on purpose. I simply have proven a point that there are people in these forums that do exactly what you are doing. Dragging out things and not sticking to the statement/questions at hand! I am not the one getting off topic here. I am also not posting numerous replies to any such post. Again, you must read before you speak! I am simply stating that"PEOPLE TALK MORE ABOUT OFF TOPIC THEN THE QUESTION/STATEMENT AT HAND" PERIOD! I put this in bold for you because you obviously missed that the first time! You are a prime example of that. "You believe you are entitled to answers simply because you surfed here and posted a question." Again you need to read before speaking because I do not, and never stated that I am entitled to answers. I did not simply surf here and asked a question. I read these posts very often , alot longer than anyone here even knows and decided to become a member in November because I thaught that there was serious discussion about Sword Arts. Back to my original post that Charles Mahon and now you are also on the list of people that like to discuss everytihng except what people ask about sword arts. You guys must train at the same FORUMS dojo! since you know so much about what people do wrong in this forum! Please read before you speak!!!!!!!
    "For most of us here, obeying the rules goes along with the training. When someone goes out of their way to break such a simple rule as this, it raises some eyebrows."
    Iaido is about perfecting ones self. Not being a critic for other iaidoka!(This is the training!)

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith
    Mr. Roberto,
    Mr. Goldberg is apparently a good smith since he has Mr. Harden's endorsement. He is also apparently a good iaidoka with much experience behind him. You are doing your dojo, and your sensei a disservice with your attitude here. Remember that any time you put your words into a public forum, you are representing both your school and your instructor. The things that you say and do will naturally reflect on them. Please consider these things before copping any further attitude.
    You are doing your dojo, and your sensei a disservice with your attitude here.

Do not make me out to be the bad guy here. I have no attitude, I was just simply making a statement. Because others do not agree with my statement does not make me the one with the attitude. Please do not get off topic like the others did. My original topic was 1. that charles is a critic towards people and gets off the subject. 2. Then I answered a topic that pertained to a reputable swords smith. From there the members of this forum blew things way out of the water. Like "www.goldmountainforge.com webdesign by www.louroberto.com" is he a good friend or just a client" that had nothing to do with the reputable swordsmith question. Now that Mr. Harden says so, you think he is alright! Why not just not respond and take a look at the site that I mentioned. Plain and simple. There was no need for any of this to take place. But because people can not stick to the subject at hand and this has been my whole theory all along ,this is what it is. I would much rather spend my time traing than arguing with you people about petty things such as this. Please do tell me I am giving my dojo or sensei a disservice. That is far from what I have done!

Likes (received)

Mr. Roberto,

I apologize if I got something wrong. This is how I see it:

I am also not posting numerous replies to any such post. Again, you must read before you speak! I am simply stating that"PEOPLE TALK MORE ABOUT OFF TOPIC THEN THE QUESTION/STATEMENT AT HAND" PERIOD!
    I see that you are still not signing your posts with your real name. I was addressing that point. This hair-splitting about whether or not your user name counts, seems to me, to be in poor spirit. You could easily put your name at the bottom of the post. You don't out of a clear decision for some reason. I simply inquired why. You must have noticed during your lurking time that the practice was to sign posts at the bottom. You still choose not to do so.

Back to my original post that Charles Mahon and now you are also on the list of people that like to discuss everything except what people ask about sword arts. You guys must train at the same FORUMS dojo! since you know so much about what people do wrong in this forum!
    I don't know how I made this list after one post to you. I've responded to quite a few posts about the nature of koryu and training in general during my tenure here. You can see that I don't post all that often. Your premise that I respond to "everything except what people ask" is a bit nonsensical. I'll chalk it up to hyperbole on your part.

Iaido is about perfecting ones self. Not being a critic for other iaidoka!(This is the training!)
    I haven't trained in iaido in about 9 years, so I am not an "other" iaidoka. I train in Shinto Muso-ryu jo now. What I meant about the rules was simply that we all must submit to what our teachers tell us to do. Doing what we are told is nothing new to those that train in traditional Japanese combative arts. I never thought about not signing my posts with my real name, as that was simply a requirement of participation. I didn't mean to give an all encompassing definition of the "training", as such as endeavor would be absurd.

I apologize if I rubbed you the wrong way. Maybe I misunderstood what was going on. I'll bow out.

Kevin Cantwell
    Last edited by K. Cantwell; 6th December 2005 at 00:20.

Likes (received)

Smile

I like the way you handle yourself. I will also bow out. Thank you no need to apologize!

Finny Guest

Default Perhaps Lou should read the thread's title again...

"PEOPLE TALK MORE ABOUT OFF TOPIC THEN THE QUESTION/STATEMENT AT HAND" PERIOD!
    My original topic was 1. that charles is a critic towards people and gets off the subject.
    The only reason this thread has gone off topic is because you have (still) refused to follow the forum rules. You agreed to sign each and every post with your full real name. This is easily accomplished by adding your name to your signature. Why you still refuse to follow the rules you agreed to when you became a member here is baffling all of us.

We understand you have a problem with people going off topic (though it would seem to be alright for you) but if you would just sign your posts as per the rules, I'm sure we would all be happy to get back on topic.

Dan Harden Guest

Gentlemen

I think you are getting a little over the top with the complaints. Look, the idea John had at the beginning was that everyone would have to be up front with their names - so that we would know who we are conversing with. The intent of his rule was for credibility. Mr. Roberto has not only put his full name as his sign in name (just like I did) he also lists his web site in his profile.
    I think he is “having you on” with you all being so uptight abut him “signing off” with what he also “started off” with…namely? His own name.
    I sometimes forget ..or other times just sign off with….. cheers me. Since everyone sees my name at the top as well.
    Lets all relax.
    Cheers
    Dan

Likes (received)

Maybe they'll listen to you Dan. I've made the same point twice so far. Not sure why they're still riding the guy so hard.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Dan Harden Guest

Well, there is a reason why good writers are judged by how well they communicate with the written word.
    The rest of us….not so much. We need, and have relied upon, facial expression, hand gesturing and body language. The poor level of our writing skills are self-evident. Just look at you and I with Iai –IS- koryu?
    See what I mean.
    I promise you, were we to meet, we would have a blast and get along fine. I would be saying the same things but we would be less intense and realize we are all just bums on the budo bus. Seems that most everyone here who has met in real life actually likes the people they have met here and…..argued with, sometime vehemently.
    Cheers
    me
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 6th December 2005 at 15:13.

Likes (received)

I believe the arguement was in regards to my assertion that Iai CAN BE Koryu, not that it is. I've certainly never argued that Seitei is koryu for instance. But I agree we should let that one lie.

Oh I'm sure we'll bump into each other sooner or later.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Smile My Apologies

Dan is right. I apologize! Sincerely,
    Lou
    Lou Roberto
    -----------------------------
    Those skilled in war bring the enemy to the field of battle and are not brought there by him.

Dan Harden Guest

Isn't that great? Here's to you Lou. Great site design by the way!

And Charles. Essentailly we agree on that. My point was that topic was wording-or should I say the poor wording that had us talking past each other. I would personally be delighted to bump... into you. No really

I think we "all" need to appreciate the fact that there are fewer and fewer of us doing this sort of stuff. Even WHEN we disagree there is more to bind us together than to separate us. Just how many of us are this obsessed with antiquated arms?

Happy holidays
    me

Likes (received)

Default Interesting Developments

Interesting,

To Mr. Lou,

Interesting quote for your sig
    “To every man there comes a in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9