Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Good Sowrd maker of excellent rep.

Likes (received)

I was talking to a friend of mine, today who trained in Massachusetts. He told me, when he trains with live blades, he uses a 80lb "Great Sword". He was training to use one in each hand, I think trains in dual sword styles, I believe. I could have misunderstood him.
    “To every man there comes a in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

8lbs maybe.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Probably, He told me, he speed training was trying to slice falling leaves, as they fell from the tree. is that possible.
    “To every man there comes a in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

Well it's certainly possible to "try" just about anything including slicing leaves falling from a tree. Is it a common method of training. Not to my knowledge, but then he's training with western swords. No offense intended but sounds like he's making it up as he goes. That's a shame if true. There are some good training oppurtunities in Boston.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Is there many styles of swordsmanship, especially in dealing with Iai.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

Wink yes...

There are many styles and flavors of iaijutsu/iaido, with the two most common, and widely practiced being Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu and Muso Shinden Ryu. Also many other sword styles, such as Yagyu Shinkage Ryu have their methods of iai in their curriculum. Sorry I can't remember all the different schools of iai, but if you were to do a search on this site under iai, you may find many other names and styles. Basically, their are more styles of iai than I can remember at present.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Originally posted by MartArtsNovice
    Is there many styles of swordsmanship, especially in dealing with Iai.
    As Mr. MacMullen said, there are many schools of Iai still extant, although some use terms other than Iaido or Iaijutsu; for example battodo, battojutsu, iaibatto, etc.

Some schools are also known by more than one name; for example the Iai taught in Yagyu Shinkage Ryu is known as Yagyu Seigo Ryu, but one branch started calling it Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Iai back in 1955 since it was linked with that school of kenjutsu.

Then there are the various schools of kenjutsu. And composite schools that teach both types of swordsmanship, plus other weapons and weaponless arts.

A rather dizzying array, actually. But the number taught outside Japan, especially by legitimate teachers, is smaller. Still quite a few though. The Ryu guide at Koryu.com is a good place to look for information about them.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Lightbulb "80 lbs., Gracie??"

The only swords I know that move into this area MIGHT be the dao used by some styles of Chinese Ba Qua Chuan or the historic piece carried by sectarian Chinese Groups prior to and during the Boxer Rebellion (1900). There actually was a nationalist/protestionist group in Northern China (Shandong Prov; Henan Prov call the BIG SWORDS who carried oversized weapons but this was more a matter of iconography than combative efficacy. Other than these examples I can only think of the massive KWAN DAO ("Chinese Halberds") which are reputed to have weighed as much as a 100 lbs or so. But these weapons were polearms, and I can't imagine what it would have taken to wield something like that effectively. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Wow, I had heard of sword styles such as Iaido, and such, but I have never heard of the polearms mentioned in the post.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

You could check out swordforum.com and look at their chinese swordsmanship arts area. Search for more stuff, I think I remember seeing some discussion about them. Many of us here are also members there, though I personally have a slightly different post-name.

BTW, have you read some of the swordfaqs around? I think you will have a lot of good reading to do for some questions like the iaido styles.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Good suggestion. There are a lot of good things on SFI.

BTW: As long as we are mentioning big swords Matt may want to check out some of the other options just for the fun of it. For instance Korean traditions have the HYUP-DO which is also a polearm, but you may be more interested in its Japanese cousin, NAGINATA. There are also the Korean SSANG SOO DO which has a Japanese cousin called the O-Dachi (?). Lastly there is the Japanese NAGIMAKI which seems to be in a class by itself. I am not quite sure how to describe it except to say it seems like a long Japanese sword blade with an extra-long grip. Maybe someone who knows more about Japanese traditions here can help out as I am getting into unfamiliar waters here. Anyone?

BTW: If I remember discussions from the past I believe there is a style of sword from the more southernly island of Honshu that focuses on using the largest Japanese swords. Help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Originally posted by glad2bhere
    ...For instance Korean traditions have the HYUP-DO which is also a polearm, but you may be more interested in its Japanese cousin, NAGINATA. There are also the Korean SSANG SOO DO which has a Japanese cousin called the O-Dachi (?). Lastly there is the Japanese NAGIMAKI which seems to be in a class by itself. I am not quite sure how to describe it except to say it seems like a long Japanese sword blade with an extra-long grip. Maybe someone who knows more about Japanese traditions here can help out as I am getting into unfamiliar waters here. Anyone?
    For "unfamiliar waters" you described them pretty well. It should be noted, though, that "Odachi" has several different meanings. In some ryu it is another name for katana (wakizashi would be "kodachi" then), while in others it may refer to the really big guys like the nodachi ("field sword"), and in others it refers to a nagamaki-like weapon. It gets rather confusing.

Also, there is a Japanese weapon similar to the Chinses Kwan Dao called a Bisento, associated with Togakure Ryu.

Originally posted by glad2bhere
    ...BTW: If I remember discussions from the past I believe there is a style of sword from the more southernly island of Honshu that focuses on using the largest Japanese swords. Help?
    Kage Ryu uses really big swords; not sure if it developed on Honshu though. Hyaku-san, are you out there?
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 14th January 2005 at 12:45.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I have seen Naginatas before, in a few websites on Martial arts especially thoe dealing with the Japanese ones. I found this pic of one while I was trying to get started in my graphics design business.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

Heres the picture I hope.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

Originally posted by MartArtsNovice
    I have seen Naginatas before, in a few websites on Martial arts especially thoe dealing with the Japanese ones. I found this pic of one while I was trying to get started in my graphics design business.
    I'll have to take your word for it. That picture is so small that my old eyes can tell what those men are holding.

Maybe I need to see the eye doctor for reading glasses.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast