Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Good Sowrd maker of excellent rep.

Likes (received)

Thanks, Paul.

Certainly Kumdo is very much if not almost identical to Kendo. For us in Kum-Bup we transition from the wooden sword to cutting with the steel sword with our first dan. I had raised some thoughts over on the SFI in the hopes of garnering information and approaching my teacher about using Iai-To. The idea was both safety and budgeting. Not everyone want to spend large amounts on a weapon when they are only in it for the hobby or sport aspect and can get by nicely with a juk-to and their armour (a sizeable expense in its own right). Still I think his reasoning is that its part of the acceptance of Kum-Bup as a life-changing activity--- Sort of a "get serious or get lost" kind of thinking. In this way maybe coming up with the $$$ to buy a quality weapon is kind of a rite of passage. Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Smart Alex Guest

To quote Toshishiro Obata (founder of the Shinkendo Federation)
    "Practicing sword without cutting ios like shooting without bullets."

Likes (received)

Hi Bruce,
    I know of a couple of schools that are like that. If you want to practice badly enough, they figure you'll save up the money for it. Different strokes and different outlooks.

Speaking of different outlooks, Obata sensei has that attitude because he is a Toyama ryu guy and studied under Nakamura sensei. Other very experienced practitioners have drastically different thoughts on the subject. It all depends upon which school you're with and what your sensei tells you. Do you study under Obata sensei David, or were you just throwing that out for conversation sake?
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Smart Alex Guest

I was just throwing it out there for conversation's sake.
    No i do not study under Obata or at any of his satelite schools, though I am friends with several instructors who are students of his.

Bye the Bye, please don't call me sensei. I am a long raod from there.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by pgsmith
    ...Do you study under Obata sensei David, or were you just throwing that out for conversation sake?
    Originally posted by Smart Alex
    ...Bye the Bye, please don't call me sensei. I am a long raod from there.
    LOL! I haven't seen anyone here call you sensei, so you can rest easy.

He asked if you, David, study under Obata Sensei (the word "sensei" comes after the name in proper Japanese).
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Talking Not being a grammar nazi at all here, just enjoying it. I'm weird like that, sorry.

Thing is, there's no way that particular construction would have been any more correct! Goofy english...
    Do you study under Obata sensei David, or were you just throwing that out for conversation sake?
    Alternates: David, do you study under Obata sensei...Strange tone, a little interrogative.

Do you, David, study under Obata sensei...Sounds like a wedding.

Do you study, David, under Obata sensei...Only in print does this make sense. Otherwise someone may be studying David.

Do you study under Obata sensei, David, or were...Too many commas.

It is an inevitable confusion made by Mr. Smith's correct placement of "sensei" as Brian noted. The boundary between non-essential and essential elements/subject modifiers can be fuzzy.

Just having fun, carry on. No offense meant at all.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Default Re: Not being a grammar nazi at all here, just enjoying it. I'm weird like that, sorry.

Originally posted by nicojo
    ...Do you study under Obata sensei, David, or were...Too many commas.
    This would have been the correct choice, actually. One extra comma and it would have made sense to almost anyone.

...Just having fun, carry on. No offense meant at all.
    Yeah, me too. The "LOL" in my post meant just that; I found the confusion over the sentence structure to be amusing. I'm a language nut. (I can be a Grammar Nazi, too, sometimes. I just wish I could spell better.)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Do you, David, study under Obata sensei...Sounds like a wedding.

Do you study, David, under Obata sensei...Only in print does this make sense. Otherwise someone may be studying David.

Good thing I'm alone in the office; people would be wondering why I'm laughing so hard.

Great allusions!
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Smart Alex Guest

Talking

LOL!! My Bad!! the way it separated on the two lines, I read it totally incorrectly!! That's funny!!
    Oh well, i guess those are the dangers of on line conversation, no tone of voice or inflection to help clarify the meaning of things.
    oh well. LOL!!

Likes (received)

I guess Ive missed the point of the grammar nazis. I sometimes think my English teacher is quite close to one, though.
    “To every man there comes a in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

Hey, I wentr to the Phoenix Matsuri. I had fun, I need some ideas, for a mini-matsuri at my school. Any ideas for the matsuri, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    “To every man there comes a in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

Originally posted by MartArtsNovice
    ...Any ideas for the matsuri, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Here's one idea:

Make a list of everything you saw at the big one, then pick which ones could be done on a smaller scale with the people and resources you have.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hey, Heres food for thought, what about having a Matsuri on the Forum. I think its a good idea. Any Comments.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

Default Okay. I have answered a few of my Questions

Greetings to everyone here.

First I apologize for staying so silent on this thread. Ive been busy with researching this subject. I have used wikipedia.org for some info, though now I have more questions:

1) What should a good Iaido be made of.
    2) Do the CMA, & KMA styles compare to the JMA Styles.
    The reason Im asking is a few people I trained with in Karate, said that the katas they learned in Tae Kwon Do, etc madew it easier to remember the karate kata.

I wish to study Tai Chi, will this confuse me when I begin my studies of JSA.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

1) What should a good Iaido be made of.
    Presuming you refer to an iaito, the ones I've seen are typically aluminium alloy. There is a company or two out there (Tozando?) that steels "steel iaito," however.

2) Do the CMA, & KMA styles compare to the JMA Styles.
    A vague question, and certainly too broad to answer definitively. If by "compare" you refer to combat efficiency, then, yes. However, if you refer to cross-pollenization or some such, then generally not. Again, however, this is far too broad a distinction to make.

The reason Im asking is a few people I trained with in Karate, said that the katas they learned in Tae Kwon Do, etc madew it easier to remember the karate kata.
    This is because TKD is strongly related to karate, hence its oft-given title of "Korean Karate."

I wish to study Tai Chi, will this confuse me when I begin my studies of JSA.
    If memory serves, Wayne Murumoto practices both Tai Chi and Takenouchi-ryu. You could possibly discuss that with him.
    Roberto Valenzuela
    Owari Kan-ryu sojutsu (尾張貫流槍術)
    Shinkage-ryu heiho (新陰流兵法)

"Be intelligent, but do not be artificially intelligent." --Kung Fu Proverb

"Culture Check: Korean Arts still determined to make indigenous martial history from 4,000 year old cave drawings. France counters by claiming Savaate developed from hunting woolly mammoths before Ice Age." --The Nth Degree

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast