Likes Likes:  0

Thread: carrer in Japan

Likes (received)

Default carrer in Japan

I just graduated from university as Bachelor of engineering in civil. Now, I am applying for permanent residency and hopefully get a job after that. I still have another goal which is to live in Japan at least 3-5 years. I know it is impossible to work there as engineer eventhough with work experience. Therefore I am planning to change career by studying in other degree which are:

- MBA
    - International business
    - Risk Management
    - Project Management

I don't know which one is needed in Japan. Perhaps ebudoka(s) can help me and give me some advice.
    Umar Sesko A. Tri Hananto
    "high quality single man"
    "low profile but high product"

Likes (received)

Don't forget about Teaching English as a Second Language. That's honestly your best bet with the correct qualifications.

PM is going to be viewed by the Japanese as inferior to their own, in the general case. They are after all world renowned for their ability to handle both short and long term projects efficiently in the business world. (Something which their government still hasn't figured out.)

You might be best off with an MBA which you've focused in international business. Study Asian business in general, not just Japanese.
    James A. Crippen

Likes (received)

It's not impossible to get any job in Japan if your Japanese is good enough and you have the proper visa... but certainly business is easier.

I would agree the easiest thing to get you in the door is teaching english...

Once you are in Japan and can get your Japanese up to snuff, you can more easily hunt for other careers that suit you better.
    - Michael Bland

Likes (received)

Default Re: carrer in Japan

Originally posted by seskoad
    I just graduated from university as Bachelor of engineering in civil. Now, I am applying for permanent residency and hopefully get a job after that. I still have another goal which is to live in Japan at least 3-5 years. I know it is impossible to work there as engineer eventhough with work experience. Therefore I am planning to change career by studying in other degree which are:

- MBA
    - International business
    - Risk Management
    - Project Management

I don't know which one is needed in Japan. Perhaps ebudoka(s) can help me and give me some advice.
    One of my Dutch students is now in Japan for a few years. He works for a Dutch bank and his area is risk management. He does not speak or read Japanese and so has to have everything translated or interpreted. We are not debating whether to set up an MBA course at Hiroshima University. At the moment we offer masters and doctors degrees in Management. I teach in this course but do so in Japanese and I think you would need fluency in this language if you wanted to work in Japan directly, and not as my Dutch student is doing.

Best regards,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Thanks for the reply and advice

Teaching english as second language might be impossible for me. It's already a second for my self. But, yes, it is good to be considered since I live here in Australia for 6 years but I don't know if japanese people can accept me as english teacher although with qualification (if..).

About Project manager, I'll take your advice. I remember about japanese method of work "lean thinking??".

And peter... I think as Indonesian, it is also better to work in Indonesian companies too. But problem is, most representative branch that located in Japan are government's. And usually Indonesian government employ career people, which means people that join them and work for them until their retired age. So I don't think I am fit in that criteria. But maybe there are some private company too, but I don't know.

Oke...here are I am going to do after your advice, get a job (civil) for 3 years work experience and study japanese while working. After that, do MBA with International business majoring for Asia.

And also, when learn japanese, do you suggest to learn in Univerisity with a degree or just in reputable language centre is also enough?

and other option, start looking japanese woman and married her ...but nahh...it is not my first priority

thanks in advance
    Umar Sesko A. Tri Hananto
    "high quality single man"
    "low profile but high product"

Likes (received)

Best way to learn Japanese is to live in Japan. No need to marry a Japanese woman to learn it, though that can help you with the visa to live & work there. Good luck!
    - Michael Bland