Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Day 4 of the January 2005 Basho

Mekugi Guest

Default Day 4 of the January 2005 Basho

Well, it's on. So far, so good.

Ryokai is showing he is very strong and is leading the next generation of up and coming wrestlers, who are really showing poise and good technique.

However, I think that we are in a time similar to that of Chiyonofuji's, where no one can really advance to Yokozuna as long as Asashoryu is healthy. One of my favorite sumotori, Kaiyo, is not doing well so far, I have a sinking feeling that he is looking towards retirement due to extreme injuries without the Yokozuna title that I feel he can earn. However, Kaiyo is a slow starter, so we will see!

So far the bouts have been well played out, with exitement in both the Juryo and the Maku-uchi sides. I am really looking foreward to watching this tournament play out!!

Likes (received)

Default No stopping him

Wish I could have seen some of the bouts...
    From here. (Though it will probably change by tomorrow as this is just the general sumo page.)

"Asashoryu closes basho with perfect 15-0 mark"

The Associated Press
    Grand champion Asashoryu overpowered Chiyotaikai on Sunday to close out the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament in Tokyo with a perfect 15-0 record.

Asashoryu, who wrapped up his 10th Emperor's Cup on Friday, knocked Chiyotaikai off balance shortly after the faceoff and then waltzed the veteran wrestler out from behind to remain undefeated. Chiyotaikai finished with an 8-7 record, good enough to hold on to his ozeki status.

With his 10th career title, Mongolian Asashoryu joined sumo greats Kitanoumi, Chiyonofuji and Taiho as the only wrestlers to win the New Year meet for three straight years since the establishment of the six-tournament system in 1958.

It was also the second straight year that Asashoryu has gone undefeated in the New Year tourney.

Asashoryu won five of six tournaments last year and looks poised for another impressive run this season. He is the lone yokozuna currently competing in sumo.

In other major bouts, Mongolian Hakuho, who won the tournament's Outstanding Technique Award, made short work of fan favorite Takamisakari to improve to 11-4.

With his parents looking on from the upper deck at Ryogoku Kokugikan, the 19-year-old komusubi came bursting out of the blocks and got a hand on the neck of Takamisakari (6-9) before thrusting the No. 5 maegashira over the straw ridge.

Sekiwake Tochiazuma further solidified his ozeki promotion chances when he slapped down fellow-sekiwake Miyabiyama to improve to 11-4. Miyabiyama, who attempted to force Tochiazuma out with a series of arm thrusts, fell to 9-6.

Elsewhere, sekiwake Wakanosato, who came into the 15-day tournament looking for promotion to ozeki, finished with a disappointing 6-9 record after being forced out by Mongolian Kyokutenho. No. 6 maegashira Kyokutenho turned in one of his best performances of late and finished at 10-5.

Bulgarian Kotooshu, a No. 4 maegashira, finished with an impressive 9-6 record after throwing down 11th-ranked maegashira Jumonji, who also closed out at 9-6.

Russian Roho, a fifth-ranked maegashira, swatted down Tamanoshima at the edge to pick up his seventh win against eight losses. No. 3 maegashira Tamanoshima finished at 5-10.

Komusubi Kotomitsuki muscled out No. 7 maegashira Hayateumi but was forced to settle for a 7-8 record.

The Japan Times: Jan. 24, 2005
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Mekugi Guest

Default Re: No stopping him

The bouts were outstanding, I was on the edge of my seat with a lot of the matches.

Asashoryu is truly talented and gifted. People can say what they want about him, but IMHO he is proving to be one of the best Yokozuna ever. The fact that he travels from one stable to another training, something that is usually unheard of at Yokozuna status, just proves to me that he is raising the bar of Sumo for the next generation.

Originally posted by nicojo
    Wish I could have seen some of the bouts...
    From here. (Though it will probably change by tomorrow as this is just the general sumo page.)

"Asashoryu closes basho with perfect 15-0 mark"

The Associated Press
    Grand champion Asashoryu overpowered Chiyotaikai on Sunday to close out the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament in Tokyo with a perfect 15-0 record.

Asashoryu, who wrapped up his 10th Emperor's Cup on Friday, knocked Chiyotaikai off balance shortly after the faceoff and then waltzed the veteran wrestler out from behind to remain undefeated. Chiyotaikai finished with an 8-7 record, good enough to hold on to his ozeki status.

Default Sumo DVDs...

Hi. Does anyone know if any of the Sumo tournaments are available on DVD? I love Sumo but haven't lived in Japan since the early 1990s and only rarely see highlights of the tournaments on late night ESPN or ESPN2. Even if they are in Japanese, that's o.k..

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. James.

Likes (received)

Yeah, I to am curious, about how to see these bouts. I wouold like to see them broadcasted on ESPN more often. Does Japan's Sports people film the matches, or are tehy broadcat live, with out recording them.
    “To every man there comes a in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Mekugi Guest

NHK (Peblic Broadcasting) puts them on TV.
    Originally posted by MartArtsNovice
    Yeah, I to am curious, about how to see these bouts. I wouold like to see them broadcasted on ESPN more often. Does Japan's Sports people film the matches, or are tehy broadcat live, with out recording them.