Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Breathing

Likes (received)

Default Breathing

I keep hearing that the best way to breath is in from your nose and out through the mouth. Other times I hear that it's in and out through your nose. Is there any difference between the two ways to breath? I, personally, do the latter.
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Default Re: Breathing

Originally posted by Chrono
    I keep hearing that the best way to breath is in from your nose and out through the mouth. Other times I hear that it's in and out through your nose. Is there any difference between the two ways to breath? I, personally, do the latter.
    I suppose that it might vary from one school of meditation to another, for some reason thought important by the school. So, the "best way" depends on what your Roshi, Sensei, Guide, etc. says is the way to do it.

In the system I practice, we keep our mouths closed (but not clenched), and lightly press our tongues to the roof of the mouth just behind the teeth.

Physiologically speaking it is better to breath in and out through the nose unless oxygen demand goes way up, as in running or heavy exertion.

Breathing in through the nose filters and moisturizes the air, and breathing out through the nose helps keep the membranes moist without undo nasal secretions.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Breathing

Originally posted by Brian Owens
    and lightly press our tongues to the roof of the mouth just behind the teeth.
    Doesn't that help to produce more saliva in the mouth?
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Breathing

In the system I practice, we keep our mouths closed (but not clenched), and lightly press our tongues to the roof of the mouth just behind the teeth.
    I don't know. But in trying different tongue positions I've noticed that it does help keep my jaw muscles more relaxed and my airway more open.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Re: Breathing

I used to practice zazen regularly at a non-residential soto zen center affiliated with the SFZC. During that time I was told two things about this.

1) That doing so actually reduces excess saliva production, thereby also reducing the need to constantly swallow and/or feeling of the need to clear the throat. After a time, I did find this to be the case, but not initially. My actual experience is that what causes the excess saliva production is not the location of the tongue, but its activity level. Having a place to put it so that it is not moving around is what does the trick. The more stimulation, the more saliva.

2) That placing the tongue against the roof of the mouth in this way closes a loop through which qi flows through the body.

Of course, YMMV.

Best,

Chris
    Chris Guzik

"You can never do a kindness too soon,
    because you never know how soon it will be too late."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Breathing

Originally posted by cguzik
    2) That placing the tongue against the roof of the mouth in this way closes a loop through which qi flows through the body.
    Well, we got to have that.
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Regarding breathing I have practiced several exercises both before and after budo. Breathing before a session oxygenates your blood, muscles and brain which puts you in a good situation for training. Incidentally i find that the length of time for a complete out breath should be controled, as is the in breath, people generally find it easier to control their breathing out through the mouth than through the nose. Breathing like this can also be used to prepare yourself for training.

So far the only breathing exercises I have really felt hte difference from was all to do with the vibrations created in the head, chest and belly because of the sound you make; so obvioulsy outbreath from the mouth, in through the nose.

Sorry for reviving an old thread and slightly changing the subject, but I am interested in the methods people use breathing exercises to aid their budo.
    Lawrence Fisher