Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "shinan"?

Likes (received)

Default Miiyama ryu's usage

Hello all,

Great topic. I am learning quite a bit myself here.

I can clarify on Miyama ryu's usage and where it came from. First of all Mr. Pereira, the Founder, was not a Japanese speaker. And to be very, very clear neither am I.

But in researching his art my understanding is that Mr. Pereira did consult a Japanese acquaintance of his, Minoru Morita. I think this this happened around 1973. Mr. Morita I believe was a Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo practitioner. I also think that he assisted Mr. Pereira with the calligraphy on all of the Miyama ryu certificates.

It is my understanding that Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo uses the title of Shinan for their Founder. So this is where I am assuming he got the title of Shinan from.

Mr Periera never claimed a dan rank in Miyama ryu. He always said that he did not have a grade, he was just the Founder. In fact he was so upset with the rank inflation that he decided to use the ranks of Okuiri, Moku Roku, Menkyo, and Kaiden to designate the skill level of his students instead of using Dan grades.

In his venacular he called it "taking his people out of the number's racket."

Of course, Miyama Ryu practitioner sometimes equate these ranks to a dan rank equivalent, but that is not really correct. There are other titles within the Miyama ryu that are internal to the Ryu.

Anyway, I hope that this sheds some light on the situation as concerns Miyama ryu's Shinan usage.

Mr. Sharpe was a legitimate Miyama Ryu black belt. I believe he was an Okuiri. But you would have to speak to him directly to find out why he took the title of Shinan.
    D'Arcy Rahming
    Author of Secrets of Combat Jujutsu
    www.miyamaryu.org

Likes (received)

Default Re: Miiyama ryu's usage

Originally posted by drahming
    ...It is my understanding that Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo uses the title of Shinan for their Founder....
    Just to be clear; the members of Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo may refer to their founder as Shinan, but that does not mean that shinan means "founder."

Just as Aikidoka refer to the founder of Aikido as "O-sensei" -- and we all know that that does not mean founder.

The Miyama Ryu web site has what I consider to be an error on it:
    ...His fierce resolve and dedication won him many honors. Among them were, a teaching certificate from O-Sensei Ueshiba (son of the founder of Aikido)...
    I have never heard of anyone else refering to Kisshomaru Ueshiba as "O-sensei." That title is reserved for the Founder, and Kisshomaru and Moriteru are refered to as the 2nd & 3rd "Doshu" respectively.

And so, I wouldn't trust this to be accurate either:
    ...In 1973 Pereira researched the classical ranking system of Japanese systems. He decided to use the ranking structure and nomenclature of the Japanese martial arts, both classical and modern. He took the title of Shinan, which means originator....
    I don't think so. Although I hadn't heard the term shinan until these recent threads, it seems clear from the research presented that the term, meaning "one who points the way," has been used classically in Koryu Budo to refer to the post of teacher, not to a founder or originator of a system.

No disrespect is meant toward Miyama Ryu, Mr. Pereira, or Mr. Rahming here. It is only as has been said; the art is not indigenous to Japan, and so the Japanese terminology may not be quite right.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Thanks

Thank you for pointing out the errors on the site. I will see that they are corrected.

In the words of Miyama Ryu Founder, Mr. Pereira, "I refined as much as I could." What I was attempting to explain was his reasoning behind using the titles. Not necessarily that he was correct.

Mr Pereira first had the experience of Jujutsu before he tried to name his method of teaching it, so he went on the information he had at the time. Miyama ryu was designed to be under a constant state of refinement with the goal in mind to make people less likely the victim of a violent crime.

Mr. Pereira adopted Japanese terminology and so we have continued in that tradition.

I believe it is up to his students like myself to refine our art based on continuos research. The mistake on the website and other material is mine.
    D'Arcy Rahming
    Author of Secrets of Combat Jujutsu
    www.miyamaryu.org

Likes (received)

Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by drahming
    Thank you for pointing out the errors on the site. I will see that they are corrected....
    You're welcome.

Regarding calling Ueshiba Kisshomaru Sensei "O-sensei" -- I see from your site that several of your high-ranking instructors are referred to as "O'sensei so-and-so." I have also heard of at least one Judo teacher refered to in that manner. But in Aikido, only Ueshiba Morihei Sensei is refered to as O-sensei; so it may not have been so much a "mistake" on your site as a difference in usage. Again, no disrespect was intended.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default "Shinan" Sharpe

I know this has already been discussed in another thread, but just to clarify on the original post: "Shinan" John Sharpe is not a "master" of anything but his own ego. Please do not waste time trying to figure out why he took the title of Shinan. I will sum it up for you (his early "career" was talked about in another thread). Mr. Sharpe moved from NY to Tucson, AZ in the mid-80's and made a name for himself as a martial arts instructor, and even won some awards from the city for an anti-gang program he ran (I was part of that program). That is where the "good" runs out on Mr. Sharpe. He moved his schools from one building to another in the middle of the night to avoid paying back rent. He lied to EVERYONE he met about his past. I was there the day he sat down with a Tucson Police detective (that he called) and gave him his "expert" opinion on the tactics that a local rapist was using to abduct women. He loved to brag about his (nonexistent) Special Forces background and even wore a green beret around town for a while.
    About ten years ago, he moved to Sonora, Mexico. I found him about 3 years ago and talked to him (as I was a former student that he manipulated at a young age, he was eager to talk to me). I asked him how he ended up in Mexico and his answer was "I was moved to Mexico as part of a CIA anti-narcotics task force...". I'm no genius, but I've been affiliated with intelligence agencies for the past 10 years (I'm still a civilian contractor at CENTCOM in Tampa), and there is no way his claims can be true.
    Mr. Sharpe took the title "Shinan" because that's the title his instructor took. The meaning of the title is moot. Mr. Periera was obviously a respected martial artist, but I can assure you, Mr. Sharpe is not. I've spent a lot of time de-bunking this fraud, just to be sure that no one else gets fooled by him. I think my efforts have paid off, as his website has had no activity on it for over a year. Hopefully someone in Mexico realized what a phony Mr. Sharpe is, and shut his operation down.

Anyone who wants more detailed information can feel free to e-mail me.

Sincerely,
    Eric Wagner
    wagsintampa@yahoo.com

Likes (received)

Default Eric you sound very familiar

Quote Originally Posted by wagsintampa View Post
    I know this has already been discussed in another thread, but just to clarify on the original post: "Shinan" John Sharpe is not a "master" of anything but his own ego. Please do not waste time trying to figure out why he took the title of Shinan. I will sum it up for you (his early "career" was talked about in another thread). Mr. Sharpe moved from NY to Tucson, AZ in the mid-80's and made a name for himself as a martial arts instructor, and even won some awards from the city for an anti-gang program he ran (I was part of that program). That is where the "good" runs out on Mr. Sharpe. He moved his schools from one building to another in the middle of the night to avoid paying back rent. He lied to EVERYONE he met about his past. I was there the day he sat down with a Tucson Police detective (that he called) and gave him his "expert" opinion on the tactics that a local rapist was using to abduct women. He loved to brag about his (nonexistent) Special Forces background and even wore a green beret around town for a while.
    About ten years ago, he moved to Sonora, Mexico. I found him about 3 years ago and talked to him (as I was a former student that he manipulated at a young age, he was eager to talk to me). I asked him how he ended up in Mexico and his answer was "I was moved to Mexico as part of a CIA anti-narcotics task force...". I'm no genius, but I've been affiliated with intelligence agencies for the past 10 years (I'm still a civilian contractor at CENTCOM in Tampa), and there is no way his claims can be true.
    Mr. Sharpe took the title "Shinan" because that's the title his instructor took. The meaning of the title is moot. Mr. Periera was obviously a respected martial artist, but I can assure you, Mr. Sharpe is not. I've spent a lot of time de-bunking this fraud, just to be sure that no one else gets fooled by him. I think my efforts have paid off, as his website has had no activity on it for over a year. Hopefully someone in Mexico realized what a phony Mr. Sharpe is, and shut his operation down.

Anyone who wants more detailed information can feel free to e-mail me.

Sincerely,
    Eric Wagner
    wagsintampa@yahoo.com
    I studied under Jon Sharpe in Tucson Az from 1988-1991 ,under the impression he was the only certified ninja/ninpo instructor in Arizona ,I even had him give a martial arts demonstration at an elementary my other taught at and participated in that along with a few at ParkmallParkman ,I helped with the gangbusters and when he tried to get the sheriff's SWAT team involved with the dojo.What I can remeber is he was a honorary black belt fr the San Francisco ninja society and a personal student Shoto Tanemura I'm the Genbukan system along with his claimed shinan I'm Sekai Ryu ninjutsu, 7th Dan in Akido 5th Dan in dan judo,7th Dan in Shotokan karate 7 Dan in Hapkido i stayed with and moved to 3 different locations and I cntinues to train in what I thought was ninjutsu of what origin or history was never explained to me.Then in mid 1991 I met Jeff Prather,who was at the time a 7 Dan Directly under Soke Hatsumie,within a year of Jeff Prather showing up into town Shinn Sharpe vanished. At which time I began my journey with a licensed Bujikan instructor and began to learn some of our ryhua's history and lineage.
    Did I forget to mention pictures of Jon Sharpes green. beret sqaudraun and heard his tales of a Dea officer in Ney York all I can say is he is not as he claims and is extremely harsh on his students in know he broke my right wrist doing what he called a kotto gashi which I now call u da gyku and he fractured one of my ribs with a wooden tanto.He told me this was normal trainig? At
    the time I knew no better but I now know .
    respectfully Rudy Verdin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3