Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Toyama-ryu

Likes (received)

Howdy Bob

...And now the Zen Nihon Batto Do renmei wants me to start an American sister group, the Zen Beikoku Batto Do renmei here. Or would that just be All American Japanese sword Cutting Association?
    I'd be careful about starting too many organizations ... they tend to take too much of your time, and they tend to grow their own politics, agendae, and heirarchies. Look at what happened in Japan. Nakamura sensei founded (1) the Zen Nihon Toyama Ryu Iaido Renmei, (2) the Zen Nihon Battodo Renmei, and (3) the Kokusai Battodo Renmei. He has influence in each, kinda-sorta (kaicho of #1 and #3 right now) -- but too many different pulls.

I forgot who told me, but it is true. If you have 3 Japanese, you get a Renmei. When you get a fourth Japanese, you get two Renmei.

I noticed at the last Machida tai kai that all the various competitors, ( speaking for the 4th dan and up division) , no matter what their style, did chuden kata. I was unable to decipher if that was the oficial chuden sei tei for the ZNBDR or some new Toyama Ryu thing. Maybe you know.
    That sounds like the seitei-toho from Nakamura Ryu. I describe it as a "bridge" set that connects the Toyama Ryu waza to the Nakamura Ryu waza (and I've also referred to it as the "chuden" waza). If this is the set, there are 6 of them. Give this url a perusal: http://www.trifox.com/aux/kenshinkan/seitei.html

The gent that won, ( and you know he had to) was a 7th dan MJER sensei with (either) 35 yrs. in the arts or studied since he was 35.

Hmmmmmmm ... that couldn't be Sato Shimeo sensei, could it? He's the white-haired gentleman in the Nakamura Ryu video (and above)? If so, he's a high-ranker in MJER, as well as hanshi, 9th dan in Nakamura Ryu (he's *my* choice for the nidai-soke if it comes to a vote). I'm not sure, but I think Sato sensei is the one who developed the Seitei-toho. And if this is the gentleman, he's been with Nakamura sensei for about 35 years.

...as soon as I find out what is required for an American Batto assocition ( which would not be an American TOYAMA thing) like what members get for their dues, etc.,....
    Usually you get a nice photo ID, a copy of the Regulations, and the opportunity to test each year. That's it. Some organizations are really squared away and have quarterly (or even monthly) magazines. "Ken Shin" used to be the magazine for the Zen Nihon Battodo Renmei, but I haven't seen a copy in years.

Regards,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

bobelder Guest

As Granny used to say, "you slobbered a bibful!" That pic of you with Sato Sensei, is that your official dojo recognition? I can't think of the name right now, had to much to drnk. Wow, that's as good as it gets. How many dojo owners have one? not many I'd guess. Anyway, adios Bb elder

Dogger Guest

I have started Batto do/Toyama ryu and I have started with and all our students start with a dull, but pointy blade as bad noto will show you real quick. I now practice noto fifty times a night. We wear our swords ha up (edge up) and wear a hakama in practice. We have a TAI KAI coming up on August 28 in Orlando, FL and all your questions could be sought there. Good Luck

PS also try ECMAS.com

Likes (received)

Default Hi Dogger!

I'll be at the Tai Kai, barring work commitments I'm REALLY trying to avoid.

FYI: Before anyone gets ugly about it <g>, you need to post with your actual name on the forums here, otherwise some folks get antsy about it (it's a rule too <g>).

If you are practicing noto 50x's a night, you're doing better than most, and it's a good thing. Make sure your instructor's checking your noto though, to ensure that you're not "burning in" bad habits... Elder Sensei in Orlando has caught me on a few habits I had/have, but my noto's gradually improving and if I can get to class more often than quarterly (sorry Saint Bob )I'll be ok.

Take care!

Carlos
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.

Likes (received)

In addition to posting your name Dogger, you might not want to hold your breath about getting many replies to your comments. This thread was nearly 4 years old when you dug it up.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Dogger
    PS also try ECMAS.com
    Dogger,

Welcome to E-Budo.

Please sign your posts with your full name. This is one of our rules on E-Budo.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

I merged 4 threads together.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd post here to consolidate related information.

Anyway, many of you may already know, but there is a full translation of Nakamura Taizaburo's book, "Nihonto Tameshigiri no Shinzui - Iai-Kendo Tameshigiri Nyumon". This was Nakamura Sensei's largest and most detailed book, published by Kodansha in 1980. The book is long out of print, and last time I checked was going for a few hundred dollars. But it has just been fully translated into English by Gavin Poffley, and published under the name "The Spirit of the Sword".

I haven't had time to read it yet, but the translator lists himself as being a professional translator, and the reviews on the book have been good. Since Nakamura Sensei was a senior exponent of both Kendo and Iaido, with practical experience using a sword, i would think this book would be valuable for just about anyone studying swordsmanship.

The translation looks good at first glance, which includes footnotes for clarification, and the photographs from the original book have been reproduced as well. The only semi-criticism I can see, if any, is that the photos are all black and white, and many of them have been shrunk down so small that they are almost not worth including since no detail can be seen. But for me, this is a small thing that is not nearly as important as having a full translation of this book (A LOT of work that I didn't have to do myself!). I picked up a new copy of it on Amazon.com cheap.

Anyone else out there read this book yet that would care to comment?
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 13th April 2013 at 05:01.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Oh, and in addition to a lot of information on tameshigiri, the book also has photo sequences with explanation of the Toyama-ryu kata and Nakamura-ryu kata, which is part of reason why I posted to this thread.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

I think the book is a very good read. It has a ton of anecdotal information based on Nakamura sensei's many years teaching and training. I think his anecdotes are the most important part of the book. I think his stories serve as a frame of reference to swordsmanship of the time and the training officers received for combat.

His critique of other ryu is interesting and I'm not entirely sure I agree with his general premise that the old schools need serious revamping (see Kobudo and Shu-Ha-Ri) . The system he studied, taught and fought with was designed to fight a very different war than many of the koryu. Many koryu I think were designed for a medieval and pre-modern type of combat. I also think many ryu (such as Omori-ryu, a ryu that he seems to have some harsh critisim for) were not deisgned for the battlefield at all but rather a goshinjutsu sort of batto. Still it is a valuable book and I think some of his critisims aside I agree with a great deal of it from what little I know of Japanese swordsmanship.

The gunto soho is a very interesting sword training method as are Toyama-ryu and Nakamura-ryu. I think an interesting counter point to this book is a review of the much earlier 1909 "Kenjutsu Kyohan" and its use of the one handed western styled kyugunto (http://kenshi247.net/blog/2010/04/12...-1-guntojutsu/). It really shows the change from the kyugunto to the shingunto and their respective applications.

Anyway great book and I would give it two thumbs up
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3