Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing a koryu

Tatsumaru Guest

Exclamation A good art

¿ Wich one is a really good japanese martial art that combines both grappling techniques and striking techniques ?

yamamatsuryu Guest

Default Striking/grappling

There are quite a few, actually. YOu need to narrow it down a bit more.

Jared Albrecht

Likes (received)

Default Judo, Jujutsu, Aikido

Unless I'm mistaken, nearly all Japanese grappling arts also include atemi (striking) in their repertoire of techniques. Though I'm certainly not qualified to distinguish between those arts which are 'good' and those which are 'not good'.

Also, Tatsumaru, please sign your posts with your full name, as per e-budo rules. Welcome to the forum!
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Default Help choosing a koryu

Hello All.
    I am about to move out to Tokyo-To, Musashimurayama-shi, Northwest of Tokyo central...A few stops away from Nakata station...My closest railway stop is Tachikawa city...On the Chuo line I think...
    My question is for anyone here that has the experience I guess...I have seen quite a few of the Koryu schools based near where I will be...They range from the Ono-ha Itto Ryu through to Toda-ha Buko Ryu....I am spoilt for choice...But the question is exactly what should I seek to do when I arrive...How do I approach the schools I would like to see? Indeed, what schools could you recommend? Are there any instructors to look for near Tokyo from the Koryu side of things?
    I am aware that the majority of the schools I know of allow visitors to view training...So maybe it is not the event I think it is...But does anyone have any advice for me?
    Anything else that you can add please do so....Anything is appreciated.
    Keigu.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Wink info on dojos etc.

I know of a few schools in the general area, but mostly by Yokohama, which is quite a ways from where you will be. I do know of a Shinto-ryu sword teacher (his name leaves me) who teaches on the local Army installation, Camp Zama, which isn't to far from Yokota AFB. My old Kendo dojo, under Tajima sensei, is in Zushi, about 20 miles outside the main Naval base at Yokosuka and right down the road from Kamakura. He also practices Muso Shinden Ryu Iai. It's right next to the local High school in Zushi. If you want exact directions you can PM my fellow Kendoka who trained with me there, Kenseikan.

As for training at these places the standard procedure is to have some form of introduction through a mutual friend, then a period of watching (couple of days), a little conversation with the head of the dojo and then if everything is kosher, your in. Not hard, just be polite, and remember your manners and etiquette. I wish I had the exact info on my old sword school where I practiced MJER in Kawasaki (again a little distant, but by train you can get antwhere). I'll contact my old dojo mate there and get the info, if you'd like. PM me, and I'll try to get more info. Enjoy your stay in Japan, and I wish I was with you. Gambatte mas!
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Default Shinbukan

I'm not sure how close you are to Omiya, but Kuroda Tetsuzan Sensei teaches there. If you are interested, let me know and I will put you in contact with him.
    Regards,

Dave Neeley

Senpokan dojo

Mekugi Guest

Default Re: Any ideas?

My idea is that you should not train anywhere without consulting Mr. Tanemura first, and get his permission foremost.

After that, when and if you have permission from Tanemura, go and ask a group if you can sit in on a class. This is kengaku. If you are still interested, ask them what is required for you to join.

Take it step at a time and do not rush. If you are in a hurry, better to take Judo or Aikido or something like that at a local gym.

Always,

-Russ

Originally posted by fifthchamber
    Hello All.
    I am about to move out to Tokyo-To, Musashimurayama-shi, Northwest of Tokyo central...A few stops away from Nakata station...My closest railway stop is Tachikawa city...On the Chuo line I think...
    My question is for anyone here that has the experience I guess...I have seen quite a few of the Koryu schools based near where I will be...They range from the Ono-ha Itto Ryu through to Toda-ha Buko Ryu....I am spoilt for choice...But the question is exactly what should I seek to do when I arrive...How do I approach the schools I would like to see? Indeed, what schools could you recommend? Are there any instructors to look for near Tokyo from the Koryu side of things?
    I am aware that the majority of the schools I know of allow visitors to view training...So maybe it is not the event I think it is...But does anyone have any advice for me?
    Anything else that you can add please do so....Anything is appreciated.
    Keigu.

Likes (received)

Default Yup..

Hi Russ..
    Don't worry...I had no intention of doing anything without Sensei's permission...I was hoping to be able to ask him for suggestions also...But we'll see...
    Everyone else...Thanks for the help..I will PM and see what comes of it! Your time is much appreciated!
    Thanks all!
    Regards
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Good luck with the move Ben.

Next November 3rd will see the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai's Honno Embu at Meiji Jingu park, near Sangu bashi. I suggest viewing the ryuha at this demonstration and see what's there before making any decisions.

BTW, I didn't know that Genbukan policy allowed degeiko. Have you checked with Mr. Tanemura?

Cheers,

Mekugi Guest

Any news about the next IBU event? Is't that coming up this fall?

That might be the way to go there!!

Originally posted by Steve Delaney
    Good luck with the move Ben.

Next November 3rd will see the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai's Honno Embu at Meiji Jingu park, near Sangu bashi. I suggest viewing the ryuha at this demonstration and see what's there before making any decisions.

BTW, I didn't know that Genbukan policy allowed degeiko. Have you checked with Mr. Tanemura?

Cheers,

Likes (received)

Russ,

The next IBU international budo seminar isn't until next March.

I'd say that Meiji would be the way to go. It's closer in regards to time & distance and you get to see about 52 ryuha demonstrate.

Likes (received)

Post Hmmm..

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the notice on the next Honno Enbu...That was one I thought to look for but had no dates on...I shall be about for the march IBU one also so thanks for that one too!
    As regards degeiko....I am not in contact with Tanemura Sensei myself...So everything comes pretty much second hand...But I don't foresee any problems...If there are then there are. And that's that....But like I said, I don't think there will be.....But don't know....
    Maybe I should try emailing John or Coleman Sensei...
    Anyway...The Enbu news is good.
    Regards
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Hello,

...What schools could you recommend? ... But does anyone have any advice for me?
    Take your time to get settled in first. That in itself could take six months to get into the flow of things.

Read Dave Lowry's essay in Keiko Shokon:

http://koryu.com/store/ks3.html

Their other two books are must reads as well if you haven't read them already not to mention everything on their website.

...I am spoilt for choice...
    Your choice of school will probably be severely limited by your work schedule and location more than anything else. Even then, ultimately the instructor will do the choosing whether or not they allow you to join.

Each school also has its own personality. You should think deeply about how it will affect you as a person and how it will conflict with your current training.

Also be prepared to commit to staying in Japan and training several (at the very least five, if not ten) years. Some schools may recommend you try kendo or iaido instead for anything less. No need to waste your time and theirs if you'll never even get past the basics and be unable to become a member who actively contributes back to the ryu.

You should also make clear to the school that you would like to join that you are currently training under Tanemura sensei and have his permission to train with them. As with any personal or political relationship this is a double edged sword, but it would be best to make this clear from the beginning rather than have it "discovered" later.

Start learning Japanese if you haven't started already. Koryu is rarely taught in English. It would be hard if not impossible to become a full member of the group when you don't know what anyone is saying and are reduced to communicating with primitive hand signals. Not being able to effectively communicate would severely hamper your progress not only in the dojo but also in daily life as well.

Steve and I will be at Meiji Shrine on November 3rd. It would probably be best to talk more then. When not demonstrating, Steve will be the one handing out programs and I'll be the one with my head stuck behind a large camera. Don't be afraid to say hello.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Likes (received)

Ah yes, the damn pamphlet desk. Oh and then I have to dole out the bento for all of the demonstrators. After that I have to demonstrate my ryuha. Culture day is always hectic for me.

Not that I am complaining

Likes (received)

Default My thanks.

Hello Mr. Beaubien,
    My thanks for the advice. I am aware that it is not as short term thing...And that I will need plenty of time to sort myself out before I can think of anything other than teaching! But I like to plan ahead...As much as one can anyways...
    The points about the schools personalities interested me also...Would you say that it is possible to see or understand the Ryuha's personality by seeing them in action?...Or by training with them for a short time?
    I shall certainly seek both yourself and Mr. Delaney out at the Taikai...It would be good to chat to someone who has been through what I want to go through...I won't miss the chance.
    As for the Japanese studies....Hai, wakarimashita, nihon-go o benkyo shimasu...Mada heta desu....But it's not too bad....Compared to some of the JET's I heard at the induction yesterday....I have a hope!
    Again, thanks for your help (Both of you).
    Yours.
    Ben
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast