Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai / Nihon Kobudo Kyokai / Nippon Budokan

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Earl Hartman
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snerk, snurfle, gurk.....
    Don't choke on yourself, Earl!
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

I was wondering, what was that constant noise we could hear that sounded like Pan Pipes? I get that sort of noise over my speakers when a mobile message is coming in.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Well here is a picture of the castle in case you missed it with all the excitement:
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Ahh but I did see it!
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Hello,

Wayne Muromoto wrote:

Ummm....Hmmm. So any chance they're gonna ask the musket guys back again to set off the sprinklers one more time?
    The Nihon Kobudo Embu Taikai, which is put on by the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai, alternates among locations. Usually Tokyo and somewhere else. Right now it seems to be that the even numbered years the event is held in Tokyo at the Nippon Budokan. Odd numbered years the event is held at another location around the country. I believe Hyogo was chosen this year specifically to promote the use of their new budokan.

The demonstration usually finishes, as do many others, with the hinawaju at the end. I have never heard of the smoke causing problems at the Nippon Budokan nor at other venues for that matter. I'm sure the Morishige-ryu will be invited back as always, as they are members of the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai, but there are probably some of the local staff members of the Hyogo Prefectural Budokan who are in a lot of trouble at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if someone loses his job over this, especially if the floor warps and it has to be replaced or refinished.

I don't know if it would have been legal to turn the fire sprinklers and alarm off in a large building filled with people, but one would think that they would have planned ahead and lowered the system's sensitivity if need be just for that part of the demonstration.

Dan Harden wrote:

Ahh the beauty of antiquated, albiet proven, technologies- where only the locally effected sprinkler head would go off, thus minimizing water damage.
    Actually, that is what happened. Only two of the sprinkler heads went off right above us. However, they produced enough water in three minutes to flood half of the budokan floor and the stands nearby. The other half of the budokan, the other areas, and lobby were unaffected.

It would have been funnier for me if I wasn't one of the people who got soaked. I would have been able to laugh pretty hard if I had been sitting on the dry side of the budokan.

Also I'm sure some of the people I work with at the Nippon Budokan were not happy with the situation. The Nihon Kobudo Kyokai's office is located within the Nippon Budokan.

The Nippon Budokan and Nihon Kobudo Kyokai were the main organizers. The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, the Asahi Shimbun, NHK and a long list of others were sponsors. Elcom, the company that makes the koryu bujutsu video series for the Nippon Budokan, was there filming on that day as well. I imagine there will be some representatives of the Nippon Budokan making the rounds and apologizing to various organizations for the embarrassing mistake repeatedly for some time to come. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Regards,

Ron

Likes (received)

Hello,

I just took a look at my photos. Actually, the water covered more than half of the Hyogo Prefectural Budokan's floor.

Regards,

Ron

Likes (received)

I was just talking to Soke (I should say that he works for the Fire Service). He tells me when he was at the the opening ceremony of the building the same problem occured but only the alarm went off.
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Wink Oh yeah, winter. Trees look nice and green though...

Ahh but I did see it!
    That's right, it must have been raining outside as well, lol.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Default I say, "Good kamae" ;)

Here is a picture of Soke and Hyakutake Colin of Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu from the Taikai, taken by a friend of mine who was there.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------

Likes (received)

Default Kobudo Organisations in Japan

Hi All!
    I have some questions about the kobudo organisations in japan.
    I know the two big ones (Nihon Kobudo Shinikai and Nihon Kobudo Kyokai). Are there other organisation, for example regional operating not nationwide?
    Are there lists of members (ryu) in the internet for the two organisations above?
    How do these organisation define there goals and how do they try to archieve them (maybe there are official statements for this!)? Whats the benefit to be a member of one or more organisations for a ryu? What are the criteria to become a member (as a ryu or a group associated to a ryu). Maybe there are more questions but thats all for now.
    Kind Regards
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Hi Sven,

For starters I know nothing about Japanese Kobudo organisations but if I were you I would contact the cultural attache of the Japanese embassy of your country. This is the kind of question they should be abel to help you with.

Best regards,

Johan Smits

Likes (received)

Hi Johan!
    Thats worth a try! Thanks! My question is aiming for people like Ron Robien who are members of these organisation.
    Kind regards!
    Sven
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

This sounds like the same line of questioning over on SFI:
    http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...threadid=61198

Is there something in the air in Europe over this?

Erik

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sven beulke
    Hi All!
    I have some questions about the kobudo organisations in japan.
    I know the two big ones (Nihon Kobudo Shinikai and Nihon Kobudo Kyokai). Are there other organisation, for example regional operating not nationwide?
    Are there lists of members (ryu) in the internet for the two organisations above?

How do these organisation define there goals and how do they try to achieve them (maybe there are official statements for this!)? Whats the benefit to be a member of one or more organisations for a ryu? What are the criteria to become a member (as a ryu or a group associated to a ryu). Maybe there are more questions but that's all for now.
    Kind Regards
    You will find a lot of your answers over on the SFI thread. Neither organization and few of the ryu within have or wish to have an internet presence. They are not the kind of groups that for example send emails to members. When I looked The only Kobudo Kyokai list up on the net is 11 years old? No it's not regional like ZNKR. A lot of ryu are members of both. Also only certain selected members of each ryu are members. Most of us put out a yearly Nenga Jo (New year message) in the magazine with respective names of seniors. What are the benefits? Dunno, but it cost me a small fortune to participate. We are going to start taking it it turns to do embu. Around 70,000 yen for eight minutes on the Budokan floor, three of them actually doing something! To me daily practice and helping students is far more important.

I would like to add a little and say that ryu strength is not based on internet presence. I know most people are aware of that but I constantly see quotes such as. "Well I can't find any info on the net so they cant be legit" On the contrary lots go on the net to try and give themselves some substance. But.....it is a great way to bring people together and organize international practice.

Bye the way it's Shinkokai. Shinikai sounds like we belong to a group for dying.
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

There are regional organisations that also promote the koryu through themselves, some are independant of the Shinkokai and Kyokai and some are loosely associated with it..The two organisations named above have control over all of Japan and are perhaps the most "official" of the groups here..
    You could check the website for the Kyokai at http://www.nipponbudokan.or.jp/shink..._1/index9.html
    And it has a list of the ryuha it has currently under its wing there..In Japanese.
    If your Japanese is up to it I would try a phone call or email to them at that address too..If you want to know they have all that information there.
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast