Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scholarly Journals

Likes (received)

Default Scholarly Journals

I want to do a paper in my Geography of East Asia class on Chinese and Japanese martial arts, but she wants a couple of sources from scholarly journals. I've done a search using the school's DISCUS, but I've been only able to come up with one article. I think EJMAS would be a valid source. Are there any others that can be used?
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Default Re: Scholarly Journals

Originally posted by Chrono
    I want to do a paper in my Geography of East Asia class on Chinese and Japanese martial arts, but she wants a couple of sources from scholarly journals. I've done a search using the school's DISCUS, but I've been only able to come up with one article. I think EJMAS would be a valid source. Are there any others that can be used?
    Try searching using these keywords: Hoplos, Hoplology, Hoplological, IHS, Donn Draeger.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

3. Likes StephenBaker liked this post
    Likes (received)

Joe's site is excellent.

What's your topic?

The easiest is journal to cite is:
    Japanese Journal of Religious Studies

...because they have full text on the web. Look for the Keenan exchange (4 parts); also, someone did something on Bushi religion.

Journal of Asian Martial Arts
    Journal of Japanese Studies
    Monumenta Nipponica
    Philosophy East and West

Other journals might be history. Search on names like Karl Friday, William Bodiford, Thomas Conlan, Harold Bolitho, Cameron Hurst III, Martin Collcutt for specific references.

Good luck.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

Originally posted by don
    Journal of Asian Martial Arts
    Journal of Japanese Studies
    Monumenta Nipponica
    Philosophy East and West

Other journals might be history. Search on names like Karl Friday, William Bodiford, Thomas Conlan, Harold Bolitho, Cameron Hurst III, Martin Collcutt for specific references.
    Thanks for the list, Don. I'll check them out. The first two look interesting.
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Assorted articles at EJMAS are updated versions of previously published academic articles. The idea was to put them in one place, thereby saving lots of digging at the library. But your teacher's goal is probably to teach you how to use the Internet and library to find things. So, my suggestions here include http://scholar.google.com/ .

For example, the keyword "martial arts geography" promptly turns up articles such as:

Hallenberg, Helena. Muslim Martial Arts in China: Tangping (Washing Cans) and Self-defence. Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs, v. 22 (1), 2002.

Backing off to just "martial arts" brings up thousands more hits, such as this one about using MA to treat the mentally ill. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...tool=iconabstr , or this one on judo's impact on adolescent aggression. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
    Assorted articles at EJMAS are updated versions of previously published academic articles. The idea was to put them in one place, thereby saving lots of digging at the library. But your teacher's goal is probably to teach you how to use the Internet and library to find things. So, my suggestions here include http://scholar.google.com/ .
    I went there just around an hour ago looking at some articles. I guess I can use the univeristy search of Google's, too.

And, yeah, EJMAS will definitely save me a lot of time.
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Your teacher should've told you about JSTOR found at www.jstor.org
    This is free if you use it on a computer on campus. What is your paper about anyway?

If you have time you should also check out a dissertation, master's thesis database. Ask your school librarian.
    Michael Wert, PhD
    Associate Professor
    History Dept.
    Marquette University

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Michael Wert
    Your teacher should've told you about JSTOR found at www.jstor.org
    This is free if you use it on a computer on campus. What is your paper about anyway?

If you have time you should also check out a dissertation, master's thesis database. Ask your school librarian.
    I thought our library's website has that link on there, but I'm not sure. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere, though.

I haven't completely figured it out yet, but I want to do something on Japan.
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Librarians are your friends.

Likes (received)

Speaking of librarians as your friends, Tom Bolling is a research librarian at University of Washington's Odegaard Undergraduate Library. He's also a kendoka. So, of course, he has a good list of resources for kendo and other JMA. See http://faculty.washington.edu/kendo/budo.html .

You can also find a bunch of neat stuff, from Iron Game History to the official Olympics reports, at http://www.aafla.org/search/search.htm .

Likes (received)

Thanks, Joseph. I can always use additional sources.

Hey, would y'all want me to give you a copy when I finish?
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
    Speaking of librarians as your friends, Tom Bolling is a research librarian at University of Washington's Odegaard Undergraduate Library. He's also a kendoka. So, of course, he has a good list of resources for kendo and other JMA. See http://faculty.washington.edu/kendo/budo.html .
    Joseph, the links that Tom listed in the Journals section, are they considered scholarly journals?

Also, books by Donn Dreager, Thomas Cleary, and William Scott Wilson, are they considered to be scholarly. I believe William Scott Wilson is a professor.
    Jonathan Wood

MarkF Guest

You are on right track. Donn Draeger's work certainly is. Add Robert W. Smith. You will also find books written together by Draeger and Smith.

Check out http://koryubooks.com for classical Japanese Budo.

Mark

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Michael Wert
    What is your paper about anyway?
    I think I may have something. How about, 'The Evolution of the Japanese Sword"?
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Some of Tom Bolling's links may constitute scholarly, but others are popular websites. Same at EJMAS, actually -- some of the sites are peer-reviewed, whereas others are not. The peer-review standard is the important one.

Donn Draeger and RW Smith, writing as themselves, generally count for academic purposes. But, writing as John Gilbey (Don Eagle is none other than DD), they would be considered popular. The lines are not clear (Gilbey remains a useful source), but learning what to use and what to question is the artform.

Also, remember that a story doesn't have to be true just because it's in print in an authoritative source. Nor does it have to be true just because the source is almost always correct. Interpretations change. New sources are found. Error creeps in everywhere.

Bottom line? Question everything and everyone, including yourself.

Google is your friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast