Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Iaito length plus other boring questions

Likes (received)

Default Iaito length plus other boring questions

Hi everyone,

I've read many of the beginner iaito threads so I'm asking a question which I have yet found the answer for.

I have just recently started seitei iaido when it became available at my kendo dojo.

My height is 164cm. According to blade length table, 160cm tall iaidoka requires a 2.3 while a 165cm requires a 2.35. Since I'm 164cm, should I err towards a 2.35? Swordstore's calculator says that I should pick 2.30.

Though I'm not that tall, I'm well build.

For iaito, I'm currently looking at the Higo Koshirae standard (ka105). I was interested in the dotanuki at first but it seems that it might not be suitable for a beginner. I wouldn't mind training with a heavier sword though.

Help out a fresh iaidoka who needs TLC and reassurance. Any thoughts/suggestions most welcome. Thanks very very much in advance.
    Andrew Tan

Likes (received)

Been using my bokken to experiment with sword length and I think I have a fair idea of which sword length to go for.

This is the method I used: stand and hold the bokken on the right side with the right hand. Aim the kissaki at the floor with relaxed shoulders. I adjust my grip til the kissaki clears the floor when I swing it to the front and back. I used the tsuba to mark the desired position.

With this method, the length of the bokken from kissaki to tsuba is 71cm, which is roughly 2.35.

Is that how's a sword length is measured? From kissai to tsuba? Or does the habaki play a part?
    Andrew Tan

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Andoru
    Been using my bokken to experiment with sword length and I think I have a fair idea of which sword length to go for.

This is the method I used: stand and hold the bokken on the right side with the right hand. Aim the kissaki at the floor with relaxed shoulders. I adjust my grip til the kissaki clears the floor when I swing it to the front and back. I used the tsuba to mark the desired position.

With this method, the length of the bokken from kissaki to tsuba is 71cm, which is roughly 2.35.

Is that how's a sword length is measured? From kissai to tsuba? Or does the habaki play a part?
    nagasa (blade length) is measured from the end of the kissaki, to the notch on the mune (spine) that the habaki buts up against. Most of the time your habaki is going to be roughly an inch long... so when buying a sword, realize that the nagasa is going to be roughly an inch under the length from the tsuba.. if I buy a 29" nagasa iaito, I'm expecting around 30" from the kissaki to the tsuba.
    Chris Holzman
    Moniteur D' Armes USFCA/AAI
    River City Fencing Club

Likes (received)

Question

Have you asked your sensei at all?
    Jon Bracamonte
    Toyama Ryu/Soga Ryu Batto Jutsu
    Former Shorinji Kempo punching bag

Likes (received)

Of course - it was the first thing I did!

She showed me what a proper blade length should be when I'm holding the sword on my right. But that's about it though. I had to figure the rest (ordering etc) out myself.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll do more searches on swordforum.com
    Andrew Tan

Likes (received)

Default Re: Iaito length plus other boring questions

Hi everyone,

I've read many of the beginner iaito threads so I'm asking a question which I have yet found the answer for.

I have just recently started seitei iaido when it became available at my kendo dojo.

My height is 164cm. According to blade length table, 160cm tall iaidoka requires a 2.3 while a 165cm requires a 2.35. Since I'm 164cm, should I err towards a 2.35? Swordstore's calculator says that I should pick 2.30.

Though I'm not that tall, I'm well build.

For iaito, I'm currently looking at the Higo Koshirae standard (ka105). I was interested in the dotanuki at first but it seems that it might not be suitable for a beginner. I wouldn't mind training with a heavier sword though.

Help out a fresh iaidoka who needs TLC and reassurance. Any thoughts/suggestions most welcome. Thanks very very much in advance.
    I have both a "higo" and a dotanuki, and I would reccommend buying the higo, at 2.35. Nice and agile sword, should suit you well during your first iai-years.
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Default Re: Iaito length plus other boring questions

...Since I'm 164cm, should I err towards a 2.35? Swordstore's calculator says that I should pick 2.30.
    I would go for the 2.35 if I were you. 5 bu isn't a huge difference, but I think longer is better than shorter for what you're doing as it will help you to really concentrate on your form. Your sensei is the best judge of this, however.

...For iaito, I'm currently looking at the Higo Koshirae standard (ka105). I was interested in the dotanuki at first but it seems that it might not be suitable for a beginner. I wouldn't mind training with a heavier sword though.
    I agree with Roar; you're probably better off avoiding a really heavy sword, at least in the beginning.

You say you're well built, but a heavy sword might lead you to try to "muscle" your way through the kata, rather than letting the sword do the cutting. Repetition is key, and the lighter sword will help you to keep proper form further into each class' instruction.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for the advice!
    Andrew Tan