Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aikijujutsu in Brazil

Likes (received)

Default Aikijujutsu in Brazil

It's been said that there was an aikijujutsu (Daito ryu?) instructor in Brazil by the name Yoshimasa Nagashima.

So far i haven't been able to verify his existance.

Any information about him or any student of Daito ryu in Brazil will be welcome.
    Renato Costa de Alcântara

Likes (received)

Renato,

My Portuguese is a bit...weak... But, this guy mentions Nagashima. Looks like the chap is a "10th Dan Aikijujutsu," and that he also practices judo, aikido and "Taijutsu." I think we can guess where his "aikijujutsu" comes from.

http://www.aikijujutsu.hpg.ig.com.br.../curriculo.htm
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Default Yeh...that's the guy....

Among other things he calls Kito ryu an form of Aikijujutsu and places catholic views in his Nintai ryu Aikijujutsu.

Before dismissing him as another fraud perpetuator (either being victim or con man) i wanted to verify if there is any truth in his claims...

Likes (received)

Default God I'm glad e-budo if finally back!

Hello,

Without knowing anything about this individual, I'd guess that the connection he is making between Kito-ryu jujutsu and "aikijujutsu" is based on an obscure reference to Kito-ryu having the oldest reference to the principle of "aiki" in their art. However, the fact that an art has aiki as one of it's operating/tactical principles does not by any means make it aikijujutsu.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Default Thank you!

The fact is that i really believe this to be another case of people trying to "hype" their style by using "obscure names", such as the "Kenjutsu MacDojo" that spread around Brazil in the last three years.

From what i've read, the name Aikijujutsu (as the name of the art) starts in the Taisho/Showa periods.

And after reading Amdur's "Old School" i came to think if "Shinra Saburo Yoshimitsu" as founder isn't in the same lines as many naginata-jutsu ryu claiming Tomoe as its founder.

MarkF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield
    Renato,

My Portuguese is a bit...weak... But, this guy mentions Nagashima. Looks like the chap is a "10th Dan Aikijujutsu," and that he also practices judo, aikido and "Taijutsu." I think we can guess where his "aikijujutsu" comes from.

http://www.aikijujutsu.hpg.ig.com.br.../curriculo.htm

Actually, depending on my Spanish to read Portugues, are you referring to Nashima as the 10-dan AJJ and 9-dan Judo or the teachers "Masters and Grandmaster (Nashima), or is the "chap" the young one making those claims?

Either way, it would seem his teachers are high stratosphere dan-I graded 10-dan and 9-dan (The Judo grade is easy enough to verify as "truth in advertising" though I do not have that much interest as it is pretty clearly laid out as to the origins of the chap's education).

Anyone think this should make its way into baffling budo for a thorough examination of his roots before making way in Bad Budo?

Mark

Likes (received)

Coming the first time to this forum, I saw this topic about AJJ in Brazil and Yoshimasa Nagashima. I'd like to give you the info I know about Nagashima so we could fix any misunderstanding.

Yoshimasa Nagashima came to Brazil in 1932, being a Dai Nippon Butokukai delegate, Budo graduate. He had education in AJJ and Judo, but never practiced Aikido or Taijutsu as probably mentioned in the webpage shown (that I can't access for it doesn't exist anymore). He dedicated himself pratically only to teaching Judo, teaching AJJ only to a few of his more graduate students. He never used "Daito Ryu" in any of his dojos where, as said before, his main activity was teaching Judo. He was a well-known master of Judo in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) until his death, in 1991.

Actually, many people use Nagashima's name and unreal info to say they were his students, trying to show off, when they never were.

Any questions or comments, I'll gladly answer and help with whatever I can.

Likes (received)

Mr. Junior
    As you say you could give knowledge about Yoshimasa Nagashima. Could you please say the Origin of his AJJ?
    -B. Trece

Likes (received)

About Nagashima Sensei I discovered that he was one of the Pioneers of Judo in Rio de Janeiro. He teached in the 50s in the YMCA of Rio de Janeiro and on the 60s he made a Black Belts association whith another teachers that promoted Judokas whith Dan grads (at that time Judo was not regulated as today). He died in some kind of ostracism As I was told. He lived in a Time that many japanese sensei tried to make his point of view to be seen as right and it could be one reason for it. AnywayAt least till now, I found nothing like an AJJ background. u he was very important to Judo In Rio de Janeiro.

sorry for any typo

Regards
    -B. Trece