Likes Likes:  0

Thread: de ashi barai pointers

Likes (received)

Default de ashi barai pointers

When teaching de ashi barai, what are the key mistakes to avoid. I know the technique but want to explain to a new student. Doing and teaching are sometimes different. Thanks in advance.
    Erin O'Neill

Likes (received)

Constant repetition.

Sorry, that's about it.
    M Johnston

MarkF Guest

Default Re: de ashi barai pointers

Originally posted by O'Neill
    When teaching de ashi barai, what are the key mistakes to avoid. I know the technique but want to explain to a new student. Doing and teaching are sometimes different. Thanks in advance.
    Hi Erin (emphasis for nailing it)

That isn't a "sometimes," it is almost always an "always." Teaching and doing are so different that some, even those with the most experience, cannot do it, but are so good on the mat that you wonder how they became so good as that one just cannot teach. Others are just made to be good teachers but are fairly ordinary. They know the basics and a lot more, and they are capable of passing it on, making a champion or simply a good judoka.

The key to De ashi harai is timing. If you are hitting a leg or foot and it is stuck to the mat, you are not centering.You need to move around a little even when demonstrating. Ultimately, it is better to be at uke's side sweeping the foot forward.

Key mistake: instructing but not teaching.
    " Over-doing it in the details. Keep it simple, let the student learn from his/her mistakes then make a small change in how they do it every so often. Do not try cramming it down the student's throat.

Drilling or uchi komi are good tools when one is doing it correctly. You can instill good habits or bad ones, however, so when teaching a nage waza the throw should be completed as soon as is proper, but only if the waza is there. All throws attempted should be completed at some point. It is no different with a foot sweep.

Teach proper tai sabaki. That is one of the biggest errors made today. Largely, it can be totally absent. Not all, but too many just are not qualified. Uke shouldn't be directly in front of tori when tori sweeps, he should be walking right by tori, and as he takes that last fateful step, foot close to the mat, tori is suddently to his side, hooking the foot behind the heel. Tori should pull straight down with his hand. In a perfect world, uke should get the feeling that he has passed tori's attempt at the sweep, but he is thinking too far ahead. Tori is right there and uke is up in the air as if he just stepped on a fresh tomato. Ukemi.

The biggest error is miscommunication. My own teacher was a man who pulled a couple of students out of a line at the beginning of class. He then would say, eg, "Uchi mata!." Demonstration, then drill. Keeping it simple. In the beginning, I wondered how anyone learned anything. A sly one, he was.

Mark

MarkF Guest

bumpty bump.

Likes (received)

Default De Ashi Barai is a 'hand' throw !

The most basic mistake most people make is to look at their opponents feet. Not only does this ruin their posture/balance, but they then rely on the timing perceived by their eyes rather than the 'feel' through their hands.

Also, I try to remove the emphasis of using the feet! New students often 'kick' their partner because they are trying to throw with just their feet only - their hands are doing nothing. I therefore exaggerate the use of the hands and body movement to get them away from relying on just a footsweep.
    Pete Boyes.
    "Whoa, careful now. These are dangerous streets for us upper-lower-middle-class types. So avoid eye contact, watch your pocketbook, and suspect everyone." - Homer Simpson.

MarkF Guest

I therefore exaggerate the use of the hands and body movement to get them away from relying on just a footsweep.
    I recall having the same problem, and everyone else with the same problem. I used to get kicked that way a lot.

Mark

Likes (received)

I basically focus on getting their timing right first.

Do the simple three steps and get them to sweep just before the sets the foot down. Once the get the basic idea I start reminding them not to forget to use their arms.

Isn't that the most common mistake with throws anyway? People start making the movements, but actually forget to use their arms...
    Rogier van der Peijl

REAL SCOTSMEN WEAR KILTS because sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yards!

Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
    Ah, what a cutie, Rogier. I'll bet a lot of ladies in Netherlands are mourning because you are out of circulation now!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogier
    ..Isn't that the most common mistake with throws anyway? People start making the movements, but actually forget to use their arms...
    That's one of my pet peeves at the moment. Why fight for grips if you are not going to use your hands ? Rather than hijack this one, I think I'll start a new thread.
    Pete Boyes.
    "Whoa, careful now. These are dangerous streets for us upper-lower-middle-class types. So avoid eye contact, watch your pocketbook, and suspect everyone." - Homer Simpson.

MarkF Guest

Do the simple three steps and get them to sweep just before the sets the foot down...
    Did you read "Best Judo" on this particular throw? It is one of the best descriptions I have seen, and that line, Rogier, is pushed to the limit. Uke should have just made the first step, and the second to reclaim balance, the sweep happing with the foot perfectly even with as little space between the foot and mat as possible, to give uke the confidence that tori isn't going to sweep, then hit 'em.

The feeling of losing all balance at the point is not something I like to feel, but if it happens, it is as close to a perfect throw as is possible.

Mark

Likes (received)

Do the simple three steps and get them to sweep just before the sets the foot down...
    or do the sweep after the the foot sets down but sac into a Yoko Gake. This was one of my favorites at one time.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF
    Did you read "Best Judo" on this particular throw? It is one of the best descriptions I have seen, and that line, Rogier, is pushed to the limit.
    Mark
    Still missing from my collection. This is the way it's always been taught to me and it works. It is however extremely difficult to get the timing right, but if you do get it right it is a beautiful throw.

As for the combination to work towards the yoko gake.... I don't really like the sacrificial throws..
    Rogier van der Peijl

REAL SCOTSMEN WEAR KILTS because sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yards!

Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
    Ah, what a cutie, Rogier. I'll bet a lot of ladies in Netherlands are mourning because you are out of circulation now!