Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Difference/changes in original and modern Go

Likes (received)

Default Difference/changes in original and modern Go

Hi, new member to the forum and surprised to see that theres actually a Go forum! Anyway ive been playing Go all my life, as a hobby of course, but I play the chinese style (weiqi).

Just would like to know what is the difference between the original chinese style Go (or weiqi) and Japanese modern Go? I have a friend who just started to learn this game and plays japanese style and would like to know the difference.

Thank you!

pmcomeau Guest

Default taking a stab at it...

it's been a while but the basic differences are:

1) scoring
    If memory serves... you subtract prisoners in Japanese style Go, you don't in Chinese

2) handicap
    In Japanese style I believe you put the handicap stones on marked areas, where in Chinese you essentially get a free moves for the number of stones you have (e.g. 3 stones, then you get to place 3 on the board before white does.)

3) ko rules
    And I'm not even going to try, as the Japanes ko rules have changed a little over time and so have chinese (then there's AGA and the Korean based rules I'm blanking on the name though.) Esoteric to say the least as the rules cover situations that are rare.

At least I think that's the big three, I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong (haven't played in years...)

Paul Comeau