Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: go no kata reference material?

MarkF Guest

My understanding is that that original Go-no-Kata was a genuine Kodokan Kata and that it was the complementary kata to the Ju-no-Kata, where of course, 'Go' means hardness and 'Ju' means softness.
    That is a good point, Llyr which seems to follow the Cundy-performed kata, too.

I don't think that changes to it is necessarily bad, either, but historically speaking, it would be nice to know. That probably will not be known, I don't think, but it should not have been abandoned. I have read some of Kano's discussion and descriptions of just how complimentary they are, though it isn't put in those turns, it seems you cannot have 'softness' without the 'hardness.'

I do not mean that Kano specifically mentioned any particular kata, but that he demonstrated, and reiterated throughout his lifetime that the two are not mutually exclusive.

Interesting subject.

Mark

Likes (received)

Check out Kobushi Media for a CD ROM of The Lost Kata of Judo at the following URL

http://www.kobushi-media.com/v-cds.htm

Quoting from the website:

Isao Obato held the rank of 8th dan (hachidan) in judo with black belt certification in jo-jutsu (short staff), iai-do (swordsmanship), aikido and Kito-ryu jujutsu. Born in Osaka, Japan, Obato was a student of K. Mifune, a Kodokan 10th dan from whom Obato said to have learned 20 judo kata (pre-arranged forms). Many of these kata were never included in the Kodokan syllabus. Still others were once there and are on longer taught. The author was a student of Obato sensei’s for six years and in that time period amassed a wealth of information on early judo waza (technique).

This video teaches Go-no-kata (forms of hardness) showing the link between Funakoshi’s karate-do and Kano’s judo. Renkoho-no-kata (forms of arrest) teaches ancient control holds, while Go-no-sen (forms of counters) teaches defenses against common judo tachi-waza (standing throws).

Has anyone seen this CD ROM - I Plan to order it tonight.

Llyr
    Dr Llyr C Jones (ジョーンズ)

Likes (received)

I am curious who is the "author".
    Antun Sisgoreo

Likes (received)

I have revisited the Kobushi Media website and found that all material is (c) to the Yama-ji Kan Dojo. I then discovered that this is the dojo of George R. Parulski, Jr. Indeed his name features on the covers of some of the other judo CDs. I was not aware of this when I made my original posting.

I am also aware that this individual has been the subject of many other postings on this forum. Can anyone comment on the veracity and quality of the Go no Kata on these CDs.

The Kobushi Media website is of the highest quality and the scren shots from the CDs look OK to me too.

Any advice welcomed.
    Dr Llyr C Jones (ジョーンズ)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF
    That is a good point, Llyr which seems to follow the Cundy-performed kata, too.
    Whoa there hoss! Just to clarify, Antony Cundy reported on the Go no kata, he didn't perform it, Ochiai sensei performed the kata.

Pardon the intrusion.

MarkF Guest

'scuse me, I mispoke (I did not mean Cundy performed it, but it seems it came out like that -- sorry. I keep doing that. Stop it!).

Do a search of E-budo using Mr. Parulski's name for older threads on that topic. While I emailed him at length, and has admitted to me that it is NOT the true Go no kata nor a kata of any kind, I'll leave it to those who have known him and have a past with him to explain further, if necessary.

Isao Obata or Obato has been investigated to death and no evidence of his existence has ever been found. This is a completely different person from the true Isao Obata who was not known as judoka.

Mark

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsey
    I have revisited the Kobushi Media website and found that all material is (c) to the Yama-ji Kan Dojo. I then discovered that this is the dojo of George R. Parulski, Jr. Indeed his name features on the covers of some of the other judo CDs. I was not aware of this when I made my original posting.

I am also aware that this individual has been the subject of many other postings on this forum. Can anyone comment on the veracity and quality of the Go no Kata on these CDs.

The Kobushi Media website is of the highest quality and the scren shots from the CDs look OK to me too.

Any advice welcomed.
    I have done some net research on this Forum and also on the Judo Forum. I concluded that the Go no Kata that features on the Kobushi Media CDs bears no relation to the genuine "lost" (early) Kodokan Go no Kata.

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showt...&hl=go+no+kata

I am disappointed that I am no nearer to seeing a visual demonstration of this kata.

Llyr
    Dr Llyr C Jones (ジョーンズ)

Likes (received)

Well, there must be people that have good connections to the Kodokan, maybe they can ask. For instance, if and when the Kodokan is planning to share this wonderful kata with the rest of the world? Since they are the world's headquarters for judo (is it not so?).

Ouch - Another let's share moment!

Best,

Johan Smits

Likes (received)

Dear Johan

Steve is the man,Kubota Sensei is not only a nana dan in Kodokan Judo but he also has an office in the Kodokan.

Mr Paralski is not to be trusted the B.S. he has published about Tenjin Shinyo Ryu is amazing,however I don't want to start that all up again.

Steve,I'll speak to you soon been very busy.
    Kind Regards
    Lee Masters
    Tenjin Shinyo Ryu
    Tenyokai International

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ree
    Dear Johan

Steve is the man,Kubota Sensei is not only a nana dan in Kodokan Judo but he also has an office in the Kodokan.

Mr Paralski is not to be trusted the B.S. he has published about Tenjin Shinyo Ryu is amazing,however I don't want to start that all up again.

Steve,I'll speak to you soon been very busy.
    OK mate, if I don't hear from you before, Merry Christmas to you and your family.

MarkF Guest

I am disappointed that I am no nearer to seeing a visual demonstration of this kata.

Llyr
    Yes, I know what you mean.

Mark

Likes (received)

Steve, you are the man!!! ---> Lee has told us so.

Are you already feeling some kind of mysterious influence? Something undetectable and untouchable but very real?
    That is a "let's share moment" and it's coming your way.
    All the E-budo crowd go STEVE, STEVE, STEVE.....

Uuh not to change the subject but a little other quetion for you all.

There has been something nagging me on a technique from kime no kata. In nuki uchi the right arm of uke is taken up by tori's right arm, as in kata ha jime. It is not impossible for uke to get the sword free from the scabbard. Now you (or better I) may have a strangle on but I am not overly happy with a large chunk of steel pointing somewhere at me. Would someone here have any suggestions? Even if you kick the man down while putting on the technique he still has the opportunity to go over his head with the sword.

Don't forget the main issue here go no kata....go no kata.....go no kata.....let's share....go no kata....... (chanting set's in) .....

Best regards,

Johan Smits

Likes (received)

Man, I've already told you everything I know. *Sweating under interrogation room lamp* Ochiai sensei.......ugh..........use of force at critical time........constant use of jigotai.............. *passes out*

Likes (received)

Steve

Come on we want more.

You know we have ways of making you talk.
    Kind Regards
    Lee Masters
    Tenjin Shinyo Ryu
    Tenyokai International

Likes (received)

Ree,

Next thing you know, Special Branch will be involved!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast