Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Ibarra / DR AJJ Yamabushi-kai (Icho yama-ryu)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Izzyzx
    Hello Roy, I have the videos and I have studied with Shihan Ibbara. The tapes, like any other training videos you have to be accompany them with hands on training. You can buy a video on how to build a brick wall, but unless to train and practice with a master mason (you may build a wall) your wall will look like crap.

Shihan Ibbara holds a number of seminars annually and he has a small dojo in NY. He has never turned away a martial artist looking for knowledge or looking to add some good effective techniques to their MA arsenal.

As for Aiki-Jujutsu, we live in America not in Japan. Japanese methods of training and movement are great if your final goal is to achieve some form of spiritual training. Shihan Ibbara has 10 active black belts training today and none of them would want to put their personal safety or the safety of others in Daito Ryu. It’s a beautiful art good for self-development, but in a street fight or arresting a crack head, Yamabushi Jujutsu is the most effective art.

With Respect
    Good thoughts & excellent post, IMHO!
    Cary James Barrett, CPT, AN

Likes (received)

Wink miguel ibarra

My skill in daito ryu is of the most basic level as is my jujutsu skill for I am still learning and seeking improvement in my techniques. I was not offended by your comments re: my skill level because I don't care one way or the other. I only care about the opinion of the perps I have dealt with and put away. As I mentioned I do not do sport and so do not compete with anyone on any level except to survive[but that's for keeps]. I also do not get on the mat with anyone to show how good I may or may not be at performing techniques but I have had the opportunity to do so for survival. I have performed in many parts of this country,Canada and Europe and I guess there must be a lot of people with poor judgement because I have been well received and invited back for more. So you see your opinion although greta to get print is of little to no value to me. My seniors' opinions[Pereira, Depasquale, Jay, Maroteaux etc] do matter to me and so I listen to them.

As to my ranks, again, I accept whatever is given to me that I do not pay for and you know what, I am not insulted to be placed in the same category with Ronald Duncan. he has been training for many years probably more than some people on this forum. If you do not recognize the groups and organizations that have granted me ranks and honors so be it. I don' think anyone died and left you to be the authority on recognition. If they did please let me know, I am always willing to bow to a higher supreme being. Additionally, he is also involved in the investigative fields and has shown his ways to be practical. And I have always found him to be a gentleman as well.

Vilaire obviously left a bad taste in your mouth. For the record, he never trained in MiYama Ryu under Shinan Pereira. He did study Mi Yama Ryu under one of Pereira's Black belts. I first met him when I discussed the similarities of KAR with MYR. He then explained his additional training and ranks which I have not been inclined to investigate or research since I found him to be talented and he always treated me with respect as I did him.

I have heard many things said about him since he left NY but then again I hear a lot of things about me to. Perhaps you can contact Mr. Tony Anessi since I believe he knew Mr.. Vilaire long before I met him. Don't flatter yourself by taking my invitation as one to work out but rather to "discuss" your suggestions.

Lastly, believe me I haven't paid any of the individuals who have written in support of me but I do thank them.

So, have a nice day.
    Miguel Ibarra
    miguel angel ibarra

Likes (received)

Default miguel Ibarra

Mi Yama Ryu is based on Judo, Aikido, Japanese Jujutsu and American Self defense techniques. Shinan Pereira was a 6th dan in Judo and Sho Mokuroku in Sosuishi Ryu Jujutsu under Shitama Sensei in addition to extensive training in other arts.
    miguel angel ibarra

Samurai Jack Guest

Hello,

I would like to thank Mr. Ibarra for taking the time to respond. Mr. Ibarra, after reading your responses I didn't read , could be per my error, any direct response explaining the stark similarities between that of the Kodokai symbol and yours; as well as, the use of the Kodokai characters present in your symbol as pointed out by Mr. Nathan Scott. Do you mind directly addressing that issue specifically and in more detail?

Also, if you don't mind, please discuss why you feel that your current use of your symbol, so closely related to that of the Kodokai, represents you and your background?

Thank you for your time and your response.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 25th December 2006 at 21:15.

Likes (received)

Wink

Wow, we are still talking about this. You know, uniforms look much better without patches.

Samurai Jack Guest

I have noticed that Mr. Ibarra has posted recently on another thread; therefore, it can be reasoned Mr. Ibarra has no interest in answering my fundamental questions regarding his unofficial use of Kodo-kai property in his, per se, signage which he uses to represent himself and his organization.

Thus, I would hate to assume no answer from Mr. Ibarra means... well... do I have to say it? This is too bad. But, at least it is clear that we, the public, are now aware of Mr. Ibarra's intent and actions regarding this topic.

I guess the truth in martial arts, like in advertising is hard to come by! I would hope we all work toward truth and honesty, in order to better ourselves and those we teach.

Because of Nathan Scott's attentiveness to this matter the martial arts are now better for it. Without Nathan Scott to give us a heads up, and thus provided us, the public, with accurate information we would be sheep.

If Mr. Ibarra would like to make me eat my words and have the honor of leaving me with egg on my face, I still invite him to do so.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 3rd January 2007 at 16:17.

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack
    we would be sheep.
    LOL ... speak for yourself. I don't ever consider myself a "sheep".

But, you and Nathan brought forward some interesting points during the thread. Does the organization in Japan even care about this specific issue at the moment? Has any other such organization taken legal action in recent years regarding a similar incident (that you know of)? This is an interesting side-topic.

As per the last part of your thread, I don't think Mr. Ibarra will take your bait. He doesn't seem to care what you think (I don't mean this in a denigrating manner towards you). Again, you guys brought out some really interesting points.

As an aside, translate this into Spanish: "... have the honor of leaving me with egg on my face, I still invite him to do so."

It really sounds hillarious to a Spanish speaker. I don't think Mr. Ibarra is interest in putting "huevo" on your face even if you invite him to.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Perez
    It really sounds hillarious to a Spanish speaker. I don't think Mr. Ibarra is interest in putting "huevo" on your face even if you invite him to.
    Juan,

you owe me a new monitor.

I wouldn't want to put my "huevos" in anyone's face.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by George Kohler
    Juan,

you owe me a new monitor.

I wouldn't want to put my "huevos" in anyone's face.
    Was it coffee that ended up on your monitor? I'll look around DRMO to see if I have a new monitor around.

Samurai Jack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Perez
    LOL ... speak for yourself. I don't ever consider myself a "sheep".

But, you and Nathan brought forward some interesting points during the thread. Does the organization in Japan even care about this specific issue at the moment? Has any other such organization taken legal action in recent years regarding a similar incident (that you know of)? This is an interesting side-topic.

As per the last part of your thread, I don't think Mr. Ibarra will take your bait. He doesn't seem to care what you think (I don't mean this in a denigrating manner towards you). Again, you guys brought out some really interesting points.

As an aside, translate this into Spanish: "... have the honor of leaving me with egg on my face, I still invite him to do so."

To answer you, Mr. Perez, first of all, I don't think interjecting crude humor in this post is would be respectful to all parties involved, certainly to Mr. Ibarra to degrade him to such an act. It is clear what I meant; it is my intent to provide him a discussion of respect and intellect. It is not my intent to make fun of him or the Spanish language. This leads to my third response.

Second of all, the word "sheep" is coded. It is in relation to a splinter group of the Kodo-kai. I think you already are aware of that.

That is I am not baiting Mr. Ibarra. I just provided him with an opportunity to discuss respectfully something he had done. If I am not mistaken he has removed from his website the symbol of discussion.

I would think Japan Kodo-kai cares; it is foolish not to think otherwise. Why would then not care, are they not a very conservative group? Kondo Sensei on his new website cares about others using his organization's name. Also, if I am not mistaken the matter rights isn't something Japanese martial arts lends to. There are far less lawyers in numbers in Japan then say Europe or the USA, and that say allot. I don't think the Kodo-Kai needed, maybe now, staff of lawyers to protect its self from right infringements. This is a matter concerning integrity and honesty, and clarifications.

The Kodo-kai, like other similar arts, being a conservative group doesn't let out much information and I believe the reason is clear per Mr. Ibarra. I think as a result it is their way of protecting themselves and their rights in their Japanese way. This creates a problem, first of all it allows others to, per se, steal their identity and techniques and take credit for them. Conservative groups don't have the capital, means or resources to internationally protect their rights, say like McDonalds can. The other thing is being conservative they don't "open" stuff up hence we on the outside lack the proper information to be discernable. For example, try and find the Kodo-kai symbol, it is not widely known or recognized. Thus, it is easy for a dishonest person to misrepresent themselves by saying their symbol is that of Kodo-kai. As the public, we then are at the mercy of those who are dishonest. We are then tricked and mislead by falsehoods and misrepresentation when we lack the proper information. Yet, by providing the public with accurate information, a conservative group opens itself to more and greater abuse. Thus, a conservative group is at a disadvantage in protecting themselves from abuse, and misinformation.

What helps these groups protect themselves is people like Nathan Scott and E-Budo devote themselves to knowledge of what is accurate and what isn't. We rely on such people to provide us with the truth in face of dishonesty, misrepresentation and fraud.

Fraud hurts us all. There are thousands of hours of thread here that prove that.

Understand, I have neither judged nor convicted Mr. Ibarra. I do have an opinion on why he has not answered my questions. I want to hear in his own words why he felt the need to use Kodo-kai property unofficially, and how his use represents him and his background. I would also ask why he didn't use the other symbols or parts of them from the other Daito ryu group(s) he studied? Why the Kodo-kai. Though I am not holding my breath (not to be translated in Latin, or any other language).

Though I think vampair is translated by Mexican Spanish as Sheep blood sucker?

Likes (received)

Second of all, the word "sheep" is coded. It is in relation to a splinter group of the Kodo-kai. I think you already are aware of that.
    Another "tung" in cheek comment?
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

To answer you, Mr. Perez, first of all, I don't think interjecting crude humor in this post is would be respectful to all parties involved, certainly to Mr. Ibarra to degrade him to such an act. It is clear what I meant; it is my intent to provide him a discussion of respect and intellect. It is not my intent to make fun of him or the Spanish language. This leads to my third response.

That is I am not baiting Mr. Ibarra. I just provided him with an opportunity to discuss respectfully something he had done. If I am not mistaken he has removed from his website the symbol of discussion.

I would think Japan Kodo-kai cares; it is foolish not to think otherwise. Why would then not care, are they not a very conservative group? Kondo Sensei on his new website cares about others using his organization's name. Also, if I am not mistaken the matter rights isn't something Japanese martial arts lends to. There are far less lawyers in numbers in Japan then say Europe or the USA, and that say allot. I don't think the Kodo-Kai needed, maybe now, staff of lawyers to protect its self from right infringements. This is a matter concerning integrity and honesty, and clarifications.

The Kodo-kai, like other similar arts, being a conservative group doesn't let out much information and I believe the reason is clear per Mr. Ibarra. I think as a result it is their way of protecting themselves and their rights in their Japanese way. This creates a problem, first of all it allows others to, per se, steal their identity and techniques and take credit for them. Conservative groups don't have the capital, means or resources to internationally protect their rights, say like McDonalds can. The other thing is being conservative they don't "open" stuff up hence we on the outside lack the proper information to be discernable. For example, try and find the Kodo-kai symbol, it is not widely known or recognized. Thus, it is easy for a dishonest person to misrepresent themselves by saying their symbol is that of Kodo-kai. As the public, we then are at the mercy of those who are dishonest. We are then tricked and mislead by falsehoods and misrepresentation when we lack the proper information. Yet, by providing the public with accurate information, a conservative group opens itself to more and greater abuse. Thus, a conservative group is at a disadvantage in protecting themselves from abuse, and misinformation.

What helps these groups protect themselves is people like Nathan Scott and E-Budo devote themselves to knowledge of what is accurate and what isn't. We rely on such people to provide us with the truth in face of dishonesty, misrepresentation and fraud.

Fraud hurts us all. There are thousands of hours of thread here that prove that.

Understand, I have neither judged nor convicted Mr. Ibarra. I do have an opinion on why he has not answered my questions. I want to hear in his own words why he felt the need to use Kodo-kai property unofficially, and how his use represents him and his background. I would also ask why he didn't use the other symbols or parts of them from the other Daito ryu group(s) he studied? Why the Kodo-kai. Though I am not holding my breath (not to be translated in Latin, or any other language).

Though I think vampair is translated by Mexican Spanish as Sheep blood sucker?
    If you, or anyone else is offended ( )... grow thicker skin. Or, if you are really, really offended, shoot a PM to George Kohler and let him know.

Likes (received)

Lightbulb Bottom Lines

The bottom lines are as follows: (and of course all of these are all just my opinions based on my observation.)

1. There are groups of martial artists that believe that everything rests on talent and recognition of that talent. Another way of putting this is that they are capable of making their arts work or their arts work for them and therefore their arts are legitimate. Further, many people have recognized that their arts work and have reinforced and continue to reinforce this belief. Their is a very strong behavioral component and reward (personal) system connected to these beliefs and it really doesn't matter what anyone outside of this belief system says or presents, these people are not going to change their beliefs or their perceptions. Names are not necessarily a link to the past as much as they are descriptors of the types of movements or style that an artist portrays. Rank and titles are a entirely different matter.

2. There are groups of martial artists that believe that all martial arts come from an origin, a beginning, and that in order for arts to be genuine or authentic in their transmission there must somehow be a link to this origin. It is completely a lack of etiquette and an affront to an art to use a name of an art without some legitimate link to it's origin. Further, rank and titles are issued as a logical step in the transmission of specific levels of the art in question. It would be impossible to be ranked higher than the specific teacher. Nor could a practitioner earn a tittle that was above or higher than the tittle of his or her teacher. Even more important, no one without a legitimate link to the origin or founder of a particular school could bestow a tittle that had anything to do with the school in question.

Gentlemen, we are ruled by our perceptions. It is important to remember that in our discussions we are dealing with each other, individuals, people who have different perceptions of what is important, what is real, what is sacred and what is sacrosanct. One man's terrorist is another's patriot. One man's trash is another's treasure. There is no way that I will change your mind as to what is ethical if you do not already share my perspective on ethics.

What then is left to us? We can agree to disagree!

More importantly, when the ethical and legal line has been crossed, it is up to, and important for, the entities that hold legal claim to tittles and names to exercise their legal rights and hold those crossing the lines legally responsible for their lack of judgment. That translates into orders to cease and desist as well as monetary damages and compensation. There are consequences, good and bad, for all of our actions.

Personally, nothing is wrong with 1. until people transgress into 2. in other words, more power to you for making up your own arts, i.e. Ueshiba and Aikido. Please, feel free to give yourself and accept any tittle you see fit from any body that sees fit to bestow it upon you be it Japanese or other. However, leave the name of century old arts out of it. Further, if you have some background in a century old art, don't claim rank higher than what you earned in that art unless someone authorized by that art and ranked high enough to bestow the rank or tittle upon you did so. To be blunt, no one outside of Daito-ryu is capable of issuing rank or tittle within Daito-ryu.

In order to issue Daito-ryu rank and tittles, the person must hold legitimate rank and tittles in Daito-ryu that would allow them to award the rank and tittle received. Further, this branch of Daito-ryu must be a branch that can legitimately show lineage back to Takeda Sokaku (unlike saigo-ha). Without this level of rank and tittle or link it's just one big fantasy, no matter how good or talented an individual may be.

Again, this is just my opinon! And I am more than Happy to agree to disagree!
    Your's in health,
    Brian Wagner
    Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

Likes (received)

Smile miguel ibarra

Nicely put. Thank you. Food for thought: Daito Ryu is in fact not an ancient art but a modern art with ancient roots, if one subcribes to the belief that Sokaku Takeda is the originator of "modern" daito ryu as has been proposed by some. What do you think?
    Thanks
    Miguel Ibarra
    miguel angel ibarra

Likes (received)

Wink miguel ibarra

Hello Mr. Jack. I haven't answered because I am not so inclined. I have no interest in putting egg in anyone's face for I usually mind my own business and leave everyone else alone to mind theirs. Trading unfounded insults on the net is just NOT NICE.
    I have not removed my symbol from my sites, however after such a lively and interesting discussion I have decided to make some alterations because apparently to not do so will continue to give some people an impression of me and my group that I do not wish to foster. For example I AM NOT a fraud as you insinuate. And much like Mr. Scott and others on this site, have spent 40 years of my life studying and training in these arts which have not only saved my life but have helped to keep me sane and level.

I try to meet every man on the level so that we can be honest with each other but I find it difficult to so in an internet chat room where comments lack the emotional and physical expression to be fully understood and lack the ability to look someone in the eye to properly evaluate and understand the meaning of what is being said.

So if you would like to ask me questions regarding history, custom, techs. etc I will be happy to respond but I will not respond to questions as to whys and wherefores-my father died a long time ago and I retired from my job so there's not too many people left to whom I owe that priviledge.[my mother is still alive so she counts].

Hopefully this will finally put an end to this issue and we can move on.
    Miguel Ibarra
    miguel angel ibarra

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast