Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pressure points for those of us with poor aim.

Dare Devil Guest

Default Pressure points for those of us with poor aim.

I am legally blind. I do not see openings as easily as others, my hand-eye is not as fast (as a result I eat boxing style punches like candy). In part, this is why I prefer to grapple an opponent- I can just close my eyes and relax.

As such I don't trust myself to apply pressure point strikes in either free movement or even a clinch, I just can't be that precise. However on the ground I'm curious what most people find effective and easily accesible.

The few points I manipulate other than the joints and spine/neck would be just under the nose, just under the jaw, the back of the knees, and the arm pits (I often GnP an opponent's arm pit when he covers up and protects his head, in very short order that arm is useless ^_^). Aside from striking the colar bone, trachea, and other such unfriendly targets I don't have many PP tricks up my sleeve.

Just curious as to whether or not other people have similair troubles, and what points are worth checking out the next time I am in full mount or am working my spider-guard ^_^

Chris O'Connor IV
    Pleasantly Oblivious.

Likes (received)

Mmm, I'm not blind (only nearsighted), but I remember my old judo instructor at the Cornell Judo club generally discouraging the use of pressure points in grappling. In his experience, they weren't very effective...not effective enough to spend much time studying, in any case.

Dare Devil Guest

I would never count on a PP to end a fight, just maybe open up a crude head lock; anythin I can do to save myself the trouble of moving a lot, hey, I'm all for it ^_^

Chris O'Connor IV
    I CAN'T SEE YOU!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dare Devil
    I would never count on a PP to end a fight, just maybe open up a crude head lock; anythin I can do to save myself the trouble of moving a lot, hey, I'm all for it ^_^

Chris O'Connor IV
    I CAN'T SEE YOU!
    Well, one thing that worked on me once which would probably be easy to do without looking was a really big judoka dragged his knuckles along the sides of my neck while he was reaching for a lapel choke.

I was lying on my belly on the ground, and he was sitting on my back. I was protecting my lapels pretty effectively. Then he said, "This is gonna hurt", and using my sweat as lube, dragged his knuckles down my carotids so he could reach in and apply the lapel choke. It was extremely painful.

And extremely funny in retrospect, heh heh.

Likes (received)

I'd actually start by just working pressure points slowly, the ones between tricep and bicep, ones on forearm, etc. Then start working them into grabs and such. The trick is not that you aim for a pressure point, there's lots of spots on the body that're painful to grab. The trick is to be able to use the pressure points wherever you've ended up grabbing. That just takes practice. One thing that might help is trying to train your grip so that you wiggle your thumb/fingers under the muscle. Lots of spots on the body where, if you get your fingers under muscle, there's a nerve to pinch. Also the gripping points on back and side, where just a hearty pinch-n-twist works. You might also learn how to properly pull hair, so as to be complete. Not many pressure points on the back of the head, but if there's hair, it functions just fine.
    Trevor Johnson

Low kicks and low puns a specialty.

Likes (received)

Shoving your fingers into the mastoid process (just under the ear) can be an attention getter at times.
    Harry Cook

Likes (received)

One thing I would do a lot of is training your grip strength and wrists. Carrying around the widemouthed jars filled with water is good, as are the winching exercises. (Take a dowel about 3/4 as wide as your shoulders, drill a hole halfway through, put a rope through that and knot one end. Attach the other to some weights. Now take the dowel and use both hands, held out at shoulder height, to winch the weights up by wrapping the rope around the dowel, and then back down slowly. ) You can also squeeze tennis balls (and golf balls with the fingertips, ) to develop grip strength. Many neat things can be done by gripping and twisting with your fingers dug into a weak spot.

Don't forget, if you have bad eyesight, grab and then hit. Once you've grabbed, you should know where they are and what they're doing from the tactile cues.
    Trevor Johnson

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Cook
    Shoving your fingers into the mastoid process (just under the ear) can be an attention getter at times.
    Harry Cook
    Works like a charm, however for the visually disabled there's a far easier one. There's this secret technique that you're only taught at high levels, but I think I can tell you guys.

There's an area between the legs of (nearly) every male in this world, if you push down hard, grab and twist or just crush...........

But seriously, I think Harry's suggestion is a good one.
    Rogier van der Peijl

REAL SCOTSMEN WEAR KILTS because sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yards!

Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
    Ah, what a cutie, Rogier. I'll bet a lot of ladies in Netherlands are mourning because you are out of circulation now!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Cook
    Harry Cook
    Instead of shoving your fingers there, make a "phoenix eye fist" (the index finger is only partially bent so that the second knuckle extends out as the striking surface; the other fingers are curled as in a normal fist), and repeatedly punch the nerve that runs along the edge of the jaw. Striking into the soft, fleshy part of the mastoid process isn't quite as effective as punching into it. In training, be sure you are striking against the posterior aspect of the mandible (jaw), and not against the mastoid process (that large bump under/behind the ear), as the mastoid isn't the strongest bony proturbance in the body... It'll end up getting damaged in short order.

Alternately, if in the rear mount and attempting to get a choke onto your opponent, use said phoenix eye fist and drag the knuckle from the above mentioned point along the underside of the jawline... That'll get him to lift his head away from the pain instinctively, and "if do right, no can defense" since the pain makes you jerk your head up and back without thought...

Just some thoughts...
    Matt Stone
    VIRTUS et HONOS
    "Strength and Honor"

geordie Guest

Default Pressure points application

DAredevil
    Note; from my study there are three types of pressure points, striking, rubbing and touch points. Many people apply way too much pressure in the wrong way to the wrong type of point and get dissapointing results. Pressure points are best used in combinations along a specific meridian to get the best results. They are as dangerous as portrayed and not to be played with. In your situation you should indentify how to activate multiple points with your knees feet hands and fingers at the same time. One point will give pain, two some paralysis, three unconsciousness, four shut down an internal organ (recoverable), five causes death. It would be advisable to find out as much information as you can about reviving people and the healing side of nerve points before using the dangerous side. Pressure point practice should be limited to light touch no more than 15 minutes per week or your partner will become ill.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by geordie
    DAredevil
    Note; from my study there are three types of pressure points, striking, rubbing and touch points. Many people apply way too much pressure in the wrong way to the wrong type of point and get dissapointing results. Pressure points are best used in combinations along a specific meridian to get the best results. They are as dangerous as portrayed and not to be played with. In your situation you should indentify how to activate multiple points with your knees feet hands and fingers at the same time. One point will give pain, two some paralysis, three unconsciousness, four shut down an internal organ (recoverable), five causes death. It would be advisable to find out as much information as you can about reviving people and the healing side of nerve points before using the dangerous side. Pressure point practice should be limited to light touch no more than 15 minutes per week or your partner will become ill.
    Couple things:
    1. please sign your full, true, and accurate name to all posts, it's what you agreed to when you signed up on e-budo.

2. multiple points are, hmmm, a tad impractical? For someone who can't see his opponent, he's going to be going for one at most. And pressure points aren't magic, they're extremely painful, debilitating, and such, if applied right, but going for more than one at a time seems to me to be a waste. After all, the other hand's probably going to be needed for other things, like hitting, getting a lock, blocking, etc.
    Also, shutting down internal organs and such is probably mythical. I'd have to have it done to me to believe it. Multiple pressure points at the same time increase pain, yes. They're wonderful that way. But as for the shutting down organs thingie, the only ones that I can think of are lungs and heart, and those can be shut down without pressure points.
    Trevor Johnson

Likes (received)

I've had someone's lungs shut down (open palm strike on the plexus solaris ), Then a guy wasn't able to use his arms for 24 h after painfull demonstration of pressure points (it wasn't me and I do not agree with this kind of practises), then I had a guy knocked unconscious by a knuckle strike between his legs, .... A well trained person should be able to shut down other organs as well I gather, after all, accupuncture works too doesn't it? (to a certain extend ofcourse)

c

Regards,
    Christophe van Eysendyck.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cufaol
    I've had someone's lungs shut down (open palm strike on the plexus solaris ), Then a guy wasn't able to use his arms for 24 h after painfull demonstration of pressure points (it wasn't me and I do not agree with this kind of practises), then I had a guy knocked unconscious by a knuckle strike between his legs, .... A well trained person should be able to shut down other organs as well I gather, after all, accupuncture works too doesn't it? (to a certain extend ofcourse)
    c
    Well, yes. Putting people into shock with a sufficiently forceful nerve strike can be done. Lungs and heart rely on muscle action, which means that when you really pound the solar plexus, you can stop the lungs, and a strike on the chest can cause shock to a weak heart, as can a strike to the carotids. That was why I said what I did above. And a guy knocked unconscious by a strike to the groin is shock and sufficient pain. You get a solid hit on my groin, I'd be down for the count too. And as for other organs, you can't really shut down function of something that doesn't rely on nerves and muscles to function, like liver, spleen, etc, without rupturing it, which isn't, I presume, what you're talking about. If you cause enough pain/shock to a nerve, you can make certain muscles weak. Funny bone, anyone?

A lot of this is shock to the nerves and the debilitating effects of pain. Pain by itself can kill. Neuralgia can sap the immune system, for one.

Part of my problem with the whole pressure point thing is the mystical cachet that it's garnered. I view it as a very practical thing, and it works in my hands as I have described above. There are groups who practice pressure points who can't replicate their techniques on anyone out of the group. This strikes me as conditioning. If I tell you that you're worthless enough times, you'll believe it. If I tell you that something's going to hurt convincingly enough, you'll feel pain when I do it. If I tell you that you'll feel dizzy and maybe pass out after a technique, and I set you up properly the first few times, you'll believe it and start to make yourself feel dizzy. The problem is, without this mental conditioning given to beginners in the group, these techniques cannot be replicated. So, are they real? In a sense, yes. Are they useful? No.
    Trevor Johnson

Likes (received)

A sound theory indeed Mr. Johnson, I really hope you are right. Imagine if it would be effective?! It might change a lot of things in the world of MA.

Regards,
    Christophe van Eysendyck.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cufaol
    A sound theory indeed Mr. Johnson, I really hope you are right. Imagine if it would be effective?! It might change a lot of things in the world of MA.
    Sorry, but could you be a widdle bit more specific as to what you're talking about in which post?
    Trevor Johnson

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast