Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tape on the Jo-staff

Likes (received)

Default Tape on the Jo-staff

Hello all i am just wondering on your opnion on putting hockeytape or any other sort of thick tape at both ends of the JO. Not covering it completly but it is noticable and allows for easier maniuplation when sliding the Jo from hand to hand. I only ask this because the tape genrally makes it easier to stop your hand from sliding off the jo when performing ceartin techniques and i am just wondering if u agree witht he taping method or not. Please leave me your feedback.-TY

Alfred Ignacio.

Likes (received)

I'd say you'd better learn to control the jo better, not use tape on it as a shortcut.
    Trevor Johnson

Low kicks and low puns a specialty.

Likes (received)

Tape is not the answer.
    As Trevor said, you need more control. However check the finish on the Jo is it too tacky? To slippery? Perhaps you need to adjust the finish?
    Good luck
    Ken Morgan
    "If you don't think that your country should come before yourself, you can better serve your country by livin' someplace else."
    - Stompin' Tom Connors

Dileas Gu Brath - Faithful Forever
    http://guelphfirst.blogspot.com/

Mekugi Guest

Sand the ends with a semi-rough grade paper instead. Sanding takes the slippery off the ends and doesn't compramise anything, so it's a good alternative. Taping would be a mess, kind of funny looking and not exactly traditional or relavent to the use of the jo IMHO.

Make sure to test-sand a small area first, to see if that is what you want before doing the whole thing. If you don't, you will ultimately end up buying more paper and doing more sanding to get it where you want it to be.
    When you are done, wipe some boiled linseed oil on it for good measure as it will seal the wood up; make sure to dry the jo well after oiling, as it will be slippery and make your hands smell funny.
    Last edited by Mekugi; 22nd June 2005 at 06:51.

Likes (received)

Default Versatility

Jeez, why do people look for technical fixes to problems which are only related to depth of practise. The reason for training with a weapon is to develop versatility and skill with the weapon, not to put things in place so that you can instantly pull off flashy techniques.

I do agree with Russ's point about sanding the jo but not to put extra texture on the end to stop your hand flying off - one should train so that this doesn't happen.

Sorry for the rant but not a small amount of teaching and coaching gets wasted on eradicating bad habits caused by students creating tricks to overcome difficult techniques.
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk

Likes (received)

Told to me by Draeger.

The Jo is too short for the non Japanese who is generally about 4-6 inches taller than the Japanese. He practiced with a longer Jo. Many techniques work much better for the non Japanese when using a Jo about 6 inches longer. Try it and see.
    Jim Cotter

Likes (received)

Thankyou all for your replies. I will try the sanding techinque though it sounds a bit tough but doable. The wood on the Jo is very, very smooth and the sanding should allow me to control the Jo better than taping. As for the size suggestion it is very intresting and I think I may take that into consdieration next time I purchase a Jo, or at least try out a longer Jo.

Alfred Ignacio.

Likes (received)

Just do kihon until you know your weapon inside and out.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Delaney
    Just do kihon until you know your weapon inside and out.

Absolutely!
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jfkcotter
    Told to me by Draeger.

The Jo is too short for the non Japanese who is generally about 4-6 inches taller than the Japanese. He practiced with a longer Jo. Many techniques work much better for the non Japanese when using a Jo about 6 inches longer. Try it and see.
    Depends on the art you're practising. In some schools, the length of the jo is absolutely fixed, no matter how big you are.
    Trevor Johnson

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Johnson
    Depends on the art you're practising. In some schools, the length of the jo is absolutely fixed, no matter how big you are.
    Wasn't the "standard" jo length determined by the prevailing sword length? At least in Shindo Muso ryu, sword vs. jo is the most common scenario, and exploiting the advantage the longer ma-ai gives, seems to be a central point in many of the kihon and kata.
    Aage Bakken

Ki is like duct tape, it has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together. [yoj]

C.Z.Lockhart Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joman
    Hello all i am just wondering on your opnion on putting hockeytape or any other sort of thick tape at both ends of the JO. Not covering it completly but it is noticable and allows for easier maniuplation when sliding the Jo from hand to hand. I only ask this because the tape genrally makes it easier to stop your hand from sliding off the jo when performing ceartin techniques and i am just wondering if u agree witht he taping method or not. Please leave me your feedback.-TY
    I'm having a hard time picturing it. If you're talking about actually winding the tape along some length of the jo, say the last foot on either end, that might help for retention if you're just going to use the jo as a big stick for beating on people. I think that's why they wrap baseball bats.

If you're thinking of just wrapping a ring of tape at the very ends, I could see that as being useful as a marker to let you know that you've reached the end, until you just get used to the length and feel like taking the tape off. But it's kind of like working with training wheels when you probably ought to be just trying to ride the bike.

I can't picture any teacher being enthused with a student modding their jo for any reason short of a genuine physical handicap. And I don't think having tape on your jo would be a long term benefit either. Eventually it'll get damp and/or wear through, and you'll start smudging the glue, then it'll be sticky. Have you seen American Pie 2? A sticky stick really didn't work out well for that kid, now did it?

The only time I ever have a problem with stopping my hand on the jo is when it's raining. Generally I have a bigger problem with my hands sweating, and then the jo gets a little tacky, and it's hard to get the slide to work. If anybody has advice on how to fix that, lemme know.

Cheers to my unqualified opinions!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Z.Lockhart
    The only time I ever have a problem with stopping my hand on the jo is when it's raining. Generally I have a bigger problem with my hands sweating, and then the jo gets a little tacky, and it's hard to get the slide to work. If anybody has advice on how to fix that, lemme know.
    Train harder. Getting a bit of dirt on your hands may also help, but it's more of a quick fix.
    Trevor Johnson

C.Z.Lockhart Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Johnson
    Train harder.
    Specifically? Considering the fact that we've never met and I'm reasonably certain you've never seen me train, I really don't know what you're talking about. But since I get tired of being the squeakiest guy out there in the field, I'm willing to listen.

I tried the dirt thing when I first started. Didn't work out so well, basically "mudded up" and made everything too slick, even when I tried just using a tiny bit. It's kind of humit here. Tried some of the chalky stuff that the gymnastics guys use, and that worked pretty well, but it was a bit of a stretch to think that was something I'd be using all the time.

~Charles

Likes (received)

Default No mods!

Just my opinion, but I like the fact that Jodo is over 400 years old and that I am practicing (basically) the same way as those generations before me. I'm sure they found a way to deal with the elements and shortcomings in their technique without mods. Just can't picture Gonnoske, Shimazu, or Otofuji taping up the Jo like a hockey stick. I would no sooner put tape on a jo than I would a bell on a katana.

I think the advice about appiles to about 90% of posts concerning technique - find a good teacher, train hard, and have patience. I wouldn't rely on tape to correct my technique - what's the point? I'd question what teacher would let you use it anyway. You can't use it in demonstrations, it's not practical for real use, and could be distracting to your partner. Besides, it would look kind of cheesey.
    Greg Kencitzski

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast