Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: London Kenshi

Likes (received)

Default London Kenshi

Gassho

Dear all,

As you will have seen on the news, London was today hit by a series of terrorist acts. They affected the Tube network and buses between Edgware Road and Liverpool St, all north of the river.

Daniel Hulme has let me know that he was around the area, and says that everyone is calm and getting on with things as we expect from Londoners. He says the media is making more of it than they might otherwise more reasonably do, but all the same people have been killed and it is very shocking. He is fine, and everyone he knows is fine. I am also fine, and as far as I know all Imperial kenshi are fine.

I thought people might like to use this thread as a message board to say they are well, and to announce any other news which may interest other eBudo readers as to the wellbeing of London kenshi. I sincerely hope that all of you in London are well.

Kesshu

John
    John Ryan
    Shorinji Kempo
    Imperial Dojo

Likes (received)

Was about to post the same John! Sarah and I are well.
    We have one guy at work in hospital with face and leg burns. He was traveling with a friend who also works with us who is still missing. Apparently they were pretty close to one of the explosions...
    Sean Dixie

Likes (received)

I bumped into Ezra at Liverpool Street Station, he was looking for his wife who was apparently in the thick of things. If anyone gets any information about it, please let me know.

Thanks

Daniel
    Daniel J Hulme

Exclamation

Just spoke to Ez. They had a bit od a scare this morning but all's well there.

Our thoughts are with those who have been killed or hurt and their families!

Please use our Kempo networks to check on the wellbeing of friends.

Sami
    Sami Elkhalifa

Likes (received)

The Guardian news says this mirrored the blasts in Madrid in March'04. My thoughts and prayer to those who were killed or hurt & their families. Hope all London kenshi are all right.

Johanes Herdi Wijaya

Likes (received)

I don’t do much in the way of praying, but I do hope that all London kenshi and their families are well. My thoughts are with all those that have lost friends and family.
    Cheers
    Colin Linz

Likes (received)

good to hear everyone here is ok... still finding yesterday bit hard to realise... i was at kings cross after the explosion and ended up in between there, russell sq and tavistock square for 3 hours in a nearby hotel... they were using the ground floor for receiving casulties whilst everyone else were ushered into the conference rooms or spare rooms... quite appalling to see when youre face to face with some sobbing and covered in soot... not nice at all...
    Felix Lee

-"Your Prawn techniqiue is no match against my Shrimp style haha!!"
    -"but chopstick pressure point fighting beats them all..."

Likes (received)

Good to hear everyone is alright. See you all on Sunday at the seminar.
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Likes (received)

I'm not a kenshi, but I am a Londoner. Just wanted to say that I'm glad you're all OK.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Read Mick Hume in The Times:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...684906,00.html

Those bombs on London trains and buses confirm that we are dealing with a new brand of terrorism. The IRA never attempted to blow up the Underground without warning at the height of the rush hour. Its bombing campaigns, though ruthless, were seen as a means to a political end, and usually targeted accordingly. But the new school of bombers have no political end worthy of the name. Their terrorism is an end in itself, their only aim to strike fear into our hearts. Were we to react too fearfully or adopt panic measures, it would only invite more of the same, along with an outburst of threats and hoaxes from any nutter with a grudge. That is why it is so important that we get back on those trains and back to normal, wary but not scared of our own shadows.

The BBC reported yesterday that, on major roads leading into the capital, signs were displayed warning motorists: “Avoid London. Area closed. Turn on radio.” Perhaps that seemed sensible as an immediate response to the scenes of death and destruction in the city centre. But as a message to the world, it would be disastrous. Do not avoid London. Our city is open. It is open to the peoples of the world, the most vibrant and tolerant of European capitals. Of course, this means that it may also be open to a few nihilistic murderers. That is a fact of life in a city such as London today. And while we would far rather not have to live alongside the madmen, many of us still would not want to live anywhere else.
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Likes (received)

I heard on todays radio that US serviceman and their families have been told not to visit London under any circumstances. Personally, after 9/11, I and many people I knew were on the net getting those bargain flights to NY. You can't let them win.
    Sean Dixie

Likes (received)

Default Mad But Not Stupid

I am a Londoner and I went to work as normal in Central London last Friday. This was not due to bravado but more because I have not observed any occasion where there was a follow-on terrorist attack the day after a major attack on Western soil. This makes strategic sense to me for the following reasons.
    1. There are less people around the day after so, as a terrorist, there is less people to kill.
    2. Also, since there are less people around, any suspicious behaviour is more likely to stand out.
    3. The people who are around are in a heightened state of alert and are more likely to notice any suspicious behaviour.
    4. There is more police around increasing the likelyhood of getting caught.
    5. If the aim is to disrupt things, there is less potential to disrupt as things are already disrupted.

If you are really serious about doing what you can then first, think like the enemy. If he seeks to make you angry, hateful or afraid, then you can be sure it is not for your benefit. They are mad, not stoopid!
    Cheung Lo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sean dixie
    You can't let them win.
    I completely agree. For me, the concept of terrorism is to scare people into feeling that they can't go about their everyday lives. If I'd stayed in Glasgow last weekend rather than travelled to London then the terrorists would have won.

The terrorists didn't win and I had a great weekend visiting some of my family and a fantastic day of training at the BSKF Summer Seminar on Sunday.

With regard to the general feeling in London, it struck me that everyone was getting on with things as usual and that - if you didn't know what happened on Thursday morning - there were just a few disruptions on the tube. I did find it very eerie that while trains were not opening their doors at Kings Cross/St. Pancras, they were still slowing down at the station and pausing for a moment. It certainly gave me a moment for some thoughts for the victims, their family and friends.

See you all again soon I hope!

Richard
    Richard Codling
    Edinburgh Shibu
    British Shorinji Kempo Federation

Likes (received)

"The US military has rescinded an order to its personnel to avoid London in the aftermath of the bombings. "

BBC News report Last Updated: Tuesday, 12 July, 2005, 11:06 GMT 12:06 UK

Defence Secretary John Reid told BBC News he had been "trying to get to the bottom of this". But he emphasised that the decision was taken locally in the immediate aftermath of the bombings, when many companies were telling staff to stay out of central London because of the confusion and the need to leave emergency services unhindered.

I like Cheung's pragmatic approach. I do, however, believe that my desire for to take a day off "for any excuse" would probably win me over. I'd be back on Monday, of course... but I think a Friday is often good enough reason in and of itself
    Last edited by Tripitaka of AA; 12th July 2005 at 13:47.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Unhappy Oh dear, thread drift imminent

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA
    "The US military has rescinded an order to its personnel to avoid London in the aftermath of the bombings. "
    Once again the US armed forces (I think in this case it was their Air Force) show themselves to be the prime example of Ken Zen Ichinyo gone wrong...
    John Ryan
    Shorinji Kempo
    Imperial Dojo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast