Likes Likes:  0

Thread: self-mummification

kev Guest

Question self-mummification

some time ago,i saw a tv-report about japaneese? monks who meditated till their death and through that they mummificated themselves,it was really interesting,but unfortunately i couldn't watch the whole report.does anyone heard about that phenomenon?

Likes (received)

Whatever you do, don't do a google search. You'll turn up some very strange stuff!
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Default On the other hand....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilliams
    Whatever you do, don't do a google search. You'll turn up some very strange stuff!

Here.

Estimates of the number of self-mummified priests in Japan range between sixteen and twenty-four priests. Impressive though this number is, many more have tried to self-mummify themselves; In fact, the practice of self-mummification -- which is a form of suicide, after all -- had to be outlawed towards the end of the 19th century to prevent Buddhist priests from offing themselves this way... and yet the grand majority of priests who have tried to do this have failed.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

kev Guest

thank you for the interesting link...
    kev

Likes (received)

It is intriguing, and macabre at the same time. To be able to do this to your body does seem break beyond all forms of what is believed to be the mind-body connection that we hold as a hard truth.

*edited due to redundancy*
    All that moves well moves without will.
    All skillfullness, all strain, all intention is contrary to ease.
    Practise a thousand times, and it becomes difficult; a thousand thousand, and it becomes easy; a thousand thousand times a thousand thousand, and it is no longer Thou that doeth it, but It that doeth itself through thee. Not until then is that which is done well done. -Frater Perdurabo-
    ~Patrick McCorkhill~

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    some time ago,i saw a tv-report about japaneese? monks who meditated till their death and through that they mummificated themselves,it was really interesting,but unfortunately i couldn't watch the whole report.does anyone heard about that phenomenon?
    I believe I've seen a similar program (National Geographic, perhaps?)

About a Shingon sect on Hokkaido, as I recall.

As I understand it, the process was initiated through a strict diet, then progressing through austere physical training, all the while subsisting mainly on a certain type of tree bark.

Interesting, but very macabre stuff...
    Chris Hodsdon

Likes (received)

Now here I thought this was a conversation about a fetish....
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

LOL but isn't everything, if you think about it, a fetish? Just have to look beyond the obvious reasons for doing everything, and see the personal, realistic-hidden, reasons for doing such. It goes a long way to destroying prejudice, hate, and misunderstanding of all thoughts/fetishes.
    All that moves well moves without will.
    All skillfullness, all strain, all intention is contrary to ease.
    Practise a thousand times, and it becomes difficult; a thousand thousand, and it becomes easy; a thousand thousand times a thousand thousand, and it is no longer Thou that doeth it, but It that doeth itself through thee. Not until then is that which is done well done. -Frater Perdurabo-
    ~Patrick McCorkhill~