Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MJER Curriculum

Likes (received)

In response to a request, I am posting the outline of the original MJER curriculum as put forth in the book "Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai Heiho Chi no Maki" (Earth Book of MJER Iai Heiho) written by my late teacher, Masaoka Katsukane (Kazumi).

This curriculum is according to the Shinden Ryu Hissho (Secret Scrolls of the Shinden Ryu) redacted by the 13th headmaster of the Shimomura-ha, Yamakawa Yukio (the 2nd generation after the Tanimura-ha/Shimomura-ha split).

1. Omori Ryu Iai no Koto, Batto no Shoden, 11 forms from seiza
    2. Eishin Ryu Iai no Koto, Batto no Chuden, 10 forms from iaihiza (tatehiza)
    3. Tachiuchi no Kurai, 10 forms standing, daito vs. daito
    4. Tsumeai no Kurai (Shigenobu Ryu), 10 forms in iaihiza, daito vs. daito
    5. Daishozume (Shigenobu Ryu), 8 forms from iaihiza, shoto vs. daito (daito wins)
    6. Daisho Tachizume (Shigenobu Ryu), 7 forms standing, shoto vs. daito (daito wins)
    7. Daikendori, 10 forms total, 4 forms shoto vs. daito (shoto wins), 6 forms daito vs. daito
    8. Batto no Okuden (Shigenobu Ryu), 10 forms from iaihiza, 12 standing forms.
    9. Itabashi Ryu Bojutsu, 5 forms bo vs. bo, 8 forms sword vs. bo
    10. Natsubara Ryu Yawara:
    a. Yawara no Kata, 10 forms
    b. Tachiai Kaisogake, Yawara no Kata, 10 forms
    c. Kogusoku, Yawara no Kata, 11 forms (in these forms, both participants are seated in an "iaigoshi" posture, on their toes with left knee down and the right knee up)
    d. Ato Tachiai, Yawara no Kata, 11 forms
    e. Kogusoku Wari, Yawara No Kata, 10 forms
    f. Honte no Utsuri, Yawara no Kata, 11 forms

Thus, the overall curriculum contains:

42 solo iai forms
    45 paired sword kata
    13 bojutsu kata
    63 yawara/kogusoku forms

Masaoka S. also mentions jojutsu and torinawa as being part of the curriculum but gives no information about this. In his book, he aslo mentions that Oe S., in addition to iai, also studied Eishin Ryu Bojutsu (I assume this is the bojutsu mentioned above)and Shinkage Ryu kendo.

In any case, since this curriculum was put together by a headmaster of the Shimomura-ha, I don't know how it was/is viewed by adherents of the Tanimura-ha. However, Oe S. was trained in both lines of the school, which co-existed side-by-side in Tosa, so I presume that all practitioners were familiar with it. In any case, from what I know at the present time, it would appear that the yawara, bojutsu, jojutsu, and torinawa parts of the curriculum are either a) lost, b) not commonly practiced today, or c) are advanced parts of the curriculum known to only a few advanced practitioners.

[Edited by Earl Hartman on 11-21-2000 at 04:13 PM]
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Thumbs up MOST EXCELLENT! TAIHEN SUBARASHII

Earl,

A "most excellent" post. Thank you for sharing the curriculum with us.

Obviously, something has been left out of my education

Regards, and thanks again,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Guy:

Pretty cool, huh? Kinda changes your view of MJER, don't it?

The really interesting thing to me is how the curriculum is arranged: ALL of the paired kata come after shoden and chuden batto, but BEFORE the oku iai. The other thing is the high incidence of grappling techniques in some of the sword kata (these are separate from the yawara techniques).

Masaoka S. emphasizes the point that solo iai practice was not enough to maintain any real martial efficacy and that the paired kata, as opposed to being "tacked on", were an integral part of the curriculum and were essential to prevent iai from becoming "just a show for self-satisfaction where the enemy is forgotten" (his words). He also mentions that there is an Eishin Ryu "oboegaki" (addendum) that clearly states that "it is only by practicing the kata together with batto that the technique becomes useful in a real fight". This is why he referred to his art as "iai heiho" as opposed to "iaido", emphasizing its nature as a comprehensive martial discipline (sogo bujutsu).

Refreshing, huh? Too bad these warnings weren't heeded.

Earl Hartman

Kris Guest

Extremely interesting. It seems I have much to ask my sensei. Of course, that will probably have to wait until my Japanese gets better

Likes (received)

Mr. Hartman,

thank you very much.

Yours faithfully
    Robert

Likes (received)

Interesting! Does the term 'Shigenobu Ryu' as applied to the Tsumeai no Kurai, Daishozume and Daisho Tachizume indicate the same origin as the Okuden waza?

The Bojutsu and Yawara carry different Ryu names that seem to follow the pattern of subsumed arts (as do the Omori and Eishin katas). Shigenobu is one of the founder Hayashizaki's names, so those kata sets seem to be attributed directly to the founder. Am I reading this correctly?

Since the Tachiuchi no Kurai and Daikendori are not attributed, do we know whence they came?

Parenthetically, there was a commentary in JJSA to the effect that Westerners seem much more interested in the 'katachi' waza than the Japanese. I imagine if someone were to find a sensei who knows all this material he/she could become very popular overseas.

Thanks,
    Jack Bieler

Likes (received)

I assume that the term Shigenobu Ryu refers to Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu.

I just listed the curriculum out as it is shown in Masaoka S.'s book. I really don't know the origin of these forms. Regarding the bojutsu and yawara, I assume, as you state, that they are subsumed arts.

Regarding the interest on the part of Westerners in the paired kata, since iai has developed into a solo exercise undertaken for "spiritual training" (I use the term advisedly) it is not so surprising that interest in the more combative aspects has waned. In Japan, I think this trend is deliberately cultivated. It seems to me that us round-eyes are more interested in the fighting aspect. It is a sword, after all.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Question

Does anyone here know if the Tachiuchi no kurai and Tsumeai no kurai etc share any similarities/common origins with the paired kata of the Shin Muso Hayashizaki ryu?
    I believe they also have seated, paired Daito/Shoto kata...

Also, does anyone know if the MJER and the SMHR are two completely different lineages, orginating from the same teacher (Hayashizaki Shigenobu), or if they at some point were within one and the same line of teachers...only to split apart at some later period (then probably sometime around or before the time of Hasegawa Chikara no suke Eishin)?

Regards
    Ulf Undmark

Joanne Miller Guest

Default The other Hayashizaki Ryu

I am not sure about Shin Muso Hayashizaki Ryu ( located in Toyko) but the other Hayashizaki Ryu.(Hayashizaki Muso Ryu) which is located in Yamagata shares the same 3 headmaster as MJER lineage. (i.e in both MJER and Hayashizaki Muso Ryu the 1st 3 headmasters are listed as Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu , Tamiya Heibei Shigemasa , Nagano Muraku Nyudo Kinrosai )

From the 4th headmaster onwards both these ryuha differs between their lineage. In MJER line Momo Gumbei Mitsushige is listed as the 4th headmaster but for Hayashizaki Muso ryu it's a different person.

So, it seems that before Hasegawa Chikara no suke Eishin there was a split between these 2 lineages. I wonder if anybody out there has any infomation on Shin Muso Hayashizaki ryu lineage as it would be interesting to see how the lineages differs between the 2 existing Hayashizaki ryu.

Cheers,

Joanne Miller Guest

Default Danzaki Tomoaki's Muso Shinden Ryu Curriculum

Hi all ,

It's really interesting to read about the curriculum of MJER by Masaoka Kazumi that Earl had shared with us. What I found really interesting is Earl's quote that :

"This curriculum is according to the Shinden Ryu Hissho (Secret Scrolls of the Shinden Ryu) redacted by the 13th headmaster of the Shimomura-ha, Yamakawa Yukio "

Just a thought.. but I was wondering if that is true wouldn't the Kumi tachi froms in MJER be exactly the same as Muso Shinden Ryu Kumi tachi forms,since Shimomura Ha is essentially Muso Shinden Ryu?

Anyway I whipped out Danzaki Tomoaki (of Muso Shinden Ryu fame) Book , "Iaido : Sono riai to shinzui" to compare the curriculum. The book listed the sets of the kumi tachi forms in the following order below

Kumi tachi no bu

1.Tachida no kurai - 10 forms all standing.
    Both person have swords drawn out.

2.Kuraidori -9 forms all standing
    In some of the forms the techinque starts with the sword still in saya.

3.Tsumeiai no kurai - 11 forms . 1st 5 both in tate hiza ,6th shidachi tate hiza ,uchidachi standing ,7-11 both standing.
    Some forms begin with sword in Saya others with sword already drawn out. Hasso,Kendori,Iwanami,Uroko gaeshi Tsubame gaeshi,Suigetsu-to ,Kasumi-ken are some examples of the names of the forms in this set.

4.Daisho kyo - 8 forms both are in tate hiza
    This set seems to involve take downs ,locks & throws. Where Uchidachi doesn't appear to draw his sword & tries to grab either shidachi or some part of shidachi sword and Shidachi reacts by using take downs ,locks & throws. It seems most of the forms here seem to involve "flooring" the enemy.

5)Daishyo tachizume - 7 forms 1-4 tate hiza 5-7 standing. This set seems to involve uchidachi as grabbing Shidachi and not drawing his sword. From the photos in the book Uchidachi is required to do standing ukemi with sword (The Technique Tombo Gaeshi requires it)

f)Tsume no kurai - 7 forms
    This set seems to be similar to set 4 & 5 ( Daisho Kyo and Daisho Tachizume)

That's all the info I have of the "other" curriculum in Muso Shinden Ryu.

Cheers everyone ,

* P.S Earl, I am guessing the book "Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai Heiho Chi no Maki" is out of print? I was wondering when the book was released was it for private circulation or was it avalible to the public? Just curious before I "hunt" for it

Likes (received)

Joanne:

According to the information I have, the line of the Shimomura-ha that ends with Nakayama Hakudo is as follows (pronunciation of personal names are guesses):

Yamakawa Kyuzo (Hisakura) Yukio
    Shimomura Shigeru Ichijo
    Hosokawa Yoshiaki
    Nakayama Hakudo (Hiromichi)

Yamakawa S. is listed in Masaoka S.'s book as the redactor of the curriculum I listed in my first post which began this thread.

Guy Power has sent me a photo of what I believe is the title page of a book by Nakyama S. which shows Nakayama S. as the 18th headmaster of Muso Shinden Ryu and shows Hosokawa S. as the 17th headmaster. (I can't post it, unfortunately, since it isn't in a web-compatible format.) If we go by this, we must assume that Nakayama S. received the entire curriculum from Hosokawa S., and that this would include all of the paired forms. It also indicates that there was/is an opinion that the Shinden Ryu existed prior to Nakayama S.'s popularization of it as MSR. The question is whether this is really a distinct and separate ryu or just another name for the tradition of iai in Tosa in general. Masaoka S.'s book has a picture of Nakayama S. performing one of the paired kata.

Regarding the relationship of the Eishin Ryu of Tosa and MSR, I would agree with you except that I would reverse the relationship and say that MSR is the Shimomura-ha of Eishin Ryu rather than saying the the Shimomura-ha is MSR. Just a quibble, but I think it gets the relationship better.

In any case, I think that Masaoka S.'s relationship with Nakayama S. must be seen in the light of Nakayama S.'s status as the inheritor of the "other" branch of Tosa Eishin Ryu. One of the things that distinguished Masaoka S. was his zealous research into the history, development, and techniques of Eishin Ryu. I guess that some people saw this as somehow inconsistent with his status as a recipient of the Kongen no Maki from Oe S., who passed on the Tanimura-ha rather than the Shimomura-ha, but it is safe to assume that Masaoka S. saw no conflict.

My personal opinion, based on my admittedly amateurish and limited research up to this point, is that there must have existed some tradition that referred to the body of techniques as "Shinden Ryu". This is attested to by the fact that Yamakawa S.'s documentation uses that name. How far back that tradition goes I don't know. Nakayama S. took this name and chose two new ideograms, "Mu" (Dream) and "So" (Thought) to replace the "Mu" (Without) and "So" (Twin), or "Peerless", that Oe S. used. They are read the same phonetically but have different meanings. I think that it was his way of honoring the origin of the tradition and, at the same time, making sure that he was not in conflict with it. Still, it seems clear that MSR is Shimomura-ha under a different name and as interpreted by Nakayama S. Thus, I think it is a safe bet that the paired kata shown in the MSR iai books you have cited all derive from the same source, however they are named and organized.

Also, just one comment/correction: I think that what you have listed as "Tachida no Kurai" is actually pronounced "Tachiuchi no Kurai".

The Armchair Historian,
    Earl

[Edited by Earl Hartman on 11-27-2000 at 07:31 PM]
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Default MJER Iai Heiho Chi No Maki

Joanne:

To the best of my knowledge, Masaoka S.'s book was privately published posthumously and is out of print. All I have is a Xerox copy of it (drat!). Sorry.

Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Joanne,

Guy Power has sent me a photo of what I believe is the title page of a book by Nakyama S. which shows Nakayama S. as the 18th headmaster of Muso Shinden Ryu and shows Hosokawa S. as the 17th headmaster.
    The page to which Earl refers is what looks to me to be an "eimeiroku" -- disciple's name book. The below is a slightly incomplete translation. The parenthetical numbers represent each line beginning at the far right (gyo-me):

(1) bottom half of line: he lists the ryu as "Muso Shinden Hayashizaki Ryu Battojutsu Heiho."

(2) 17th Generation [Dai Jyunana Sei] Hosogawa Yoshimasa

(3) 18th Generation Nakayama Hakudo

(between 2 & 3) Shinan Soden [teaching certificates]

(4) MUSO SHINDEN RYU

(5) Battojutsu Heiho no Shugyo wo .....

(6) Nakayama Hakudo, Hanshi [his "signature block"]

(7) Jikimonjin [direct disciple] Kimura ....

(8) Nakayama Hakudo [signature] & Seal

An interesting note: line 5 has the kanji for "Battojutsu" but Nakayama inserted "furigana" [a phonetic helping syllabary] to make it read as "Iai"

If interested, and you want a jpeg, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

Regards,
    Guy

Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default MUSO SHINDEN HAYASHIZAKI RYU BATTOJUTSU HEIHO

Joanne,

Guy Power has sent me a photo of what I believe is the title page of a book by Nakyama S. which shows Nakayama S. as the 18th headmaster of Muso Shinden Ryu and shows Hosokawa S. as the 17th headmaster.
    The page to which Earl refers appears to be an "eimeiroku" -- disciple's name book. The below is a slightly incomplete translation. The parenthetical numbers represent each line beginning at the far right (gyo-me):

(1) bottom half of line: he lists the ryu as "Muso Shinden Hayashizaki Ryu Battojutsu Heiho."

(2) 17th Generation [Dai Jyunana Sei] Hosogawa Yoshimasa

(3) 18th Generation Nakayama Hakudo

(between 2 & 3) Shinan Soden [teaching certificates]

(4) MUSO SHINDEN RYU

(5) Battojutsu Heiho no Shugyo wo .....

(6) Nakayama Hakudo, Hanshi [his "signature block"]

(7) Jikimonjin [direct disciple] Kimura ....

(8) Nakayama Hakudo [signature] & Seal

An interesting note: line 5 has the kanji for "Battojutsu" but Nakayama inserted "furigana" [a phonetic helping syllabary] to make it read as "Iai"

If interested, and you want a jpeg, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

Regards,
    Guy

Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Joanne Miller Guest

Smile Thanks !

Hello Earl,

Sorry for cutting and pasting lines. I can't figure out how to do that nice quote box thing

Quote :Earl Hartman
    "Also, just one comment/correction: I think that what you have listed as "Tachida no Kurai" is actually pronounced "Tachiuchi no Kurai". "

Ooops ! Thanks for your correction Earl ! Actually I am not sure how to read the kanji the proper way with reference to the names of the set.

Quote: Earl Hartman
    "To the best of my knowledge, Masaoka S.'s book was privately published posthumously and is out of print. All I have is a Xerox copy of it (drat!)"

I should say Xerox or not it's real precious ! Which MJER/MSR line of Iai doesn't want to hear what Masaoka Sensei has to say ! You're really lucky to have BOTH the book and having the chance to train personally under him !

Quote Guy Power:
    "If interested, and you want a jpeg, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy"

Absolutely lovely ! I will be sending you as well as Earl ( by email) a Jpeg of something about Muso Shinden Ryu as well.

Cheers everyone,

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast