Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Why do ryu have secrets?

Likes (received)

Default Update on Denshi-ryu

Two acolytes, Mark R. and Kevin T. hover around the answer, but without that decisive cut, it's just moving air.
    Kevin L. was awarded a kirigami for good intentions from a narrow knowledge base.
    Other people whose answers are off-base, imagistic, Zen-like and just plain wrong - you know who you are, either by my shihan-like silence or acid replies have been confined to the scullery, cooking food, cleaning up and doing scut work (Arman - another mojito and be quick about it! And more rum in this one).
    Fred L., after an initial burst of brilliant insight, got lost in lyricism and poetry. Because he remained torn and suspended between his impulses towards artistry and that towards the decisive cut, he has been tied, one arm each to two posts, where he is regularly beaten by the proles (Arman - my mojito first! Then hit him!).

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by leoboiko
    I bet they have a lot of training in the ancient Suio art of throwing the sword and then bragging that you won because you're not as attached to the katana as a samurai would be...
    Do not, whatever you do, approach any of their cars, baby carriages, or the like, without warning them first. Just to touch the hubcap could mean instant death.
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Default Denshi-ryu ranking

Out of nowhere, with no time wasted in needless musing or poetry, Joshua L. has answered the gokui, making him the first electron warrior of the current generation of Denshi-ryu. The next question is if he will be deemed soke-dairi, or if, as most ryu did until decadent modern times - he will be the first shihan among others. Given my position as dai in the ryu, I have decided on the latter. If other shihan appear and rancor develops, it is a matter of complete indifference whether said-shihan engage in mutual assasination plots. I will not look kindly, however, on any non-menkyo trying to move up the pecking order by any plots against Joshua - this would result in immediate shibari on a post to be devoured by the voracious mosquitos of Satsuma (where you will pray for dragonflies to save you, but they, laughing, will just sit on the posts).

Not having access to Joshua's shugyo, I'm not entirely sure that his flash of pure brilliance might not have occured due to some prior knowledge - like reading one of my old essays. If this is so, his menkyo as electron warrior will be withdrawn, and he will be deemed Higgs Boson warrior, after a particle demanded to fill a space in the "Standard Model of sub-atomic particles." There has never been any evidence that Higgs Bosons exist.

Likes (received)

Default Essays? You have old essays?

My denshi shugyo is a personal matter - only those with whom I train daily are privy to the details.

In any event, I still have my sho-mokuroku in Hijikakeisu-ryu. It's not a menkyo kaiden, but it's better than nothing.

Josh

P.S. Renton isn't "nowhere". We *do* have an IKEA.

Likes (received)

Default My own private shugyo

Other people whose answers are off-base, imagistic, Zen-like and just plain wrong - you know who you are, either by my shihan-like silence or acid replies have been confined to the scullery, cooking food, cleaning up and doing scut work
    Well at least it's familiar to me...
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Default Denshi-ryu Update

Fred L. had apparently been trying to communicate for some time, but in between the beatings and the gag, he was kind of hard to understand. Turns out he, also, has just got the gokui. Fred L. is also an electron warrior.

P.S. A hint for you lurkers. Satsuma bushi used to hunt them for sport. But while you are huddling beneath the branches, something to contemplate. A dragonfly lives in a Newtonian world, but Tombo no Kurai makes him look positively Einstinian. Heisenberg is not allowed to pass the borders of Satsuma.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis Amdur
    Heisenberg is not allowed to pass the borders of Satsuma.
    How would you be 'certain' if he had though?
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

Default About those Mojitos....

Dragonfly spies a bottle of Wray & Nephew OP White Rum in the scullery

Likes (received)

Default Denshi-ryu Closes its Doors

As noted before, there are two electron warriors, Joshua L., and Fred L., though it came so easily to the former, the examining committee has some suspicion of some sort of illicit tapping in to the mojo wire by this candidate.
    Mark R. and Kevin T., working in parallel both went all over the place, more or less discovering a number of the other guiding principals of Jigen-ryu, and even correctly answering the gokui - but they didn't know they'd done so. So for being ubiquitous, omni-dimensional and utterly without mass, they will be deemed neutrino warriors, fully deserving their status as imperminent, transient and ultimately non-existent beings.
    As for those who were awarded kirigami, they will not further be mentioned as they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

The answer to the gokui, by the way, is ma-ai. A dragonfly sits in utter quiescence, and then seemingly instantaneously, flicks off the post to a point, and hovers, and then, no matter what distance far-or-near that they are, flicks without hesitation or inaccuracy right back to the same point. The Jigen-ryu swordsman is a master of impeccable ma-ai. One cut, from whatever distance, whatever the obstacle, unerringly to the target.

Now, that may be fascinating and may even improve your own practice. But imagine something different. Imagine being required to strike a post for years, with only a few very rudimentary forms to break the tedium, and being Satsuma, you are insanely, obsessively loyal and obedient. and (also perhaps envious of the sword schools with cool waza like Taisha-ryu in the next han), but one day you are told to study dragonflies on a post, because that's where the secret lies, and you obdiently, obsessively do, and suddenly, you get it. Get it to the bone. That's why they are secrets, so they can act as transformational acts.

Now, to get back to my own students and their problems. I've offered for their consideration, the plover (chidori), one of our school's problems.

Best

Likes (received)

Fascinating, Ellis, thank you!
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Ellis,

I'll give you a mojito. . .

BTW, I've been told (disdainfully, I might add) by a fellow student that Dave apparently explained this particular gokui to us once, which I promptly forgot. Hey, I don't study Jigen ryu!!

Best,
    Arman Partamian
    Suuuper-student

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Default Umm ...

Ellis,

Man, I don't know what you been smoking, bro', but I want some of it. Don't Bogart da densho, snake.

Chuck
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Likes (received)

Dang it. I was just too far off base. I knew I should've gone dragonfly hunting.
    Kevin Ly

Dan Harden Guest

Now, to get back to my own students and their problems. I've offered for their consideration, the plover (chidori), one of our school's problems.

Best

Hmmm………….

Discussions of drunken steps and their relevance may best be had at the shoreline. But I could suggest a worthwhile discussion at a different watering hole- while pondering the gokui of mint leaves and sugars peculiar ability to disguise the taste of alcohol!

Hope to see you soon.

Dan
    "A non-electron-wholey organic warrior."
    And I have the smelly Keikogi to prove it!
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 3rd August 2005 at 04:54.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5