Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: What is this food?

Likes (received)

Default Thread drift

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Lo
    What scared me as a child new to the US was that HORRIBLE THING: CHEESE! Yuck.

M
    Hi Margaret,

Ya know, having been raised by dirty-Eastern-religion-practicin'-vegetarian-hippiestm, we would see meat (and actual chocolate... we only had carob... shudder), but didn't eat it until I was about 5. The first time I put together that the animals walking around on farms were the same thing that people ate, it was horrifying... luckily, I got over it

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Light Samurai
    Sorry to take this somewhat off-topic, but are there any "normal" foods in Japan?

I can eat Ramen, any kind of noodles - and COOKED seafood, such a sfish and vegetables - but not raw.
    Eating raw fish takes, for many, a paradigm shift in their outlook. Many fish have a very mild, even buttery taste when raw. Others, even when cooked, can be "fishy." I started eating "ethnic" cuisine when very young, so never developed many food phobias. (I do have a problem with bugs, and with whole fish served guts and all.)

Think of it this way; we eat fresh apples and baked apples, raw carrots and steamed carrots, raw milk and boiled milk (puddings, ice cream, etc.) -- so why not raw and cooked fish?

But for the less adventurous, there are many Japanese foods that are easy for most Americans and Europeans to enjoy.

You already mentioned ramen and "any kind of noodles." I'm sure you'd enjoy various kinds of udon (noodle soups with different ingredients).

Yakisoba is a noodle dish that can be made with beef, chicken, pork, or vegetarian.

I really enjoy chicken karaage, which is sort of like KFC Chicken nuggets, only -- IMNSHO -- much better.

Teriyaki can be found all over the place in the USA, from fast food teriyaki chains like Toshi's to cozy little mom and pop Japanese restaurants. (Many of them in the Seattle area are actually run by Koreans, which I like because I can get a side of kimchee.) Beef, chicken, pork, or a combination; skewered or sliced; with rice or with noodles; lots of choices there.

Sukiyaki (Japanese version of beef stew) is one of the most well known Japanese foods over here. Originally a peasant food, it is now popular with all classes even back "home."

Shabu shabu is thinly sliced beef that is cooked in either boiling water or in broth. The Japanese version of fondue, it's fun to have a few friends over and cook it at the table. You can add many different kinds of vegetables to the liquid as accompaniments.

Batayaki means "Butter fried," and I like shrimp batayaki as a side to...

Teppanyaki -- quick-seared meats, shrimp, lobster, vegetables, etc. cooked -- usually -- in a showy fashion. Benihana is one American chain, and there are many others, both chains and single restaurants.

The most famous beef dish, and a specialty of many teppanyaki, is Kobe Beef. Saying it's just "Japanese steak" doesn't do it justice.

The list goes on and on. Lot's of foods to suit the appetite of even the most finicky palate.

Study up and eat well!
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

To further my above post, many Americans think sushi is raw fish. It's not! Raw fish is sashimi.

While many kinds of sushi have raw fish, others have cooked fish, vegetables, even an egg omlette on top.

Just as not all sandwiches are peanut butter & jelly, same with sushi; what all sushi has in common is rice, just as what all sandwiches have in common is bread.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default I'm soo sorry

Quote Originally Posted by kenkyusha
    Hi Margaret,

Ya know, having been raised by dirty-Eastern-religion-practicin'-vegetarian-hippiestm, we would see meat (and actual chocolate... we only had carob... shudder), but didn't eat it until I was about 5. The first time I put together that the animals walking around on farms were the same thing that people ate, it was horrifying... luckily, I got over it

Be well,
    Jigme
    So sorry for the childhood trauma. Death by tofu is horrifying. Too bad your parents didn't practice Tibetan Buddhism..meat allowed.

M

Likes (received)

Angry The worst part...

is that they are Tibetan Buddhists. Danged peacenik-animal-rights-supporting-'Diet for a Small Planet'-reading hippies!

I do still quite like tofu, tempeh and all vegetables (except for okra... jibbers), and tend to use meat as a condiment rather than featuring great slabs of it, but as my son (then 5-year-old) son said, when confronted by tofu pups, "I want meat; M-E-T!!"

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

Default Must have M E T

Quote Originally Posted by kenkyusha
    is that they are Tibetan Buddhists. Danged peacenik-animal-rights-supporting-'Diet for a Small Planet'-reading hippies!

I do still quite like tofu, tempeh and all vegetables (except for okra... jibbers), and tend to use meat as a condiment rather than featuring great slabs of it, but as my son (then 5-year-old) son said, when confronted by tofu pups, "I want meat; M-E-T!!"

Be well,
    Jigme
    Did your peacenik parents know that during the reign of the Mongols in China in the 13th century, Tibetan Buddhists were associated with human sacrifice and other such blood rites? Buddhism was the state religion of the Mongols, the Golden Hoarde etc... Ok so cannibalism is out!

Hope you gave that boy some M-E-T!

M

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4