Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Budo: The Art of Killing -- Cast info sought

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    The only archery I recall was yabusame, not Kyudo; at least on the English-language VHS version I have.
    I was afraid of that .... mixed-up as usual!

--Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default Budo - The Art of Killing

Hello-
    I have been a student of Matsushita sensei (Shudokan Dojo located in Stroudsberg, PA)for 10 years.
    I will try and give as much information on him and the video as there seems to be great interest.
    Toyoshima Kazutora 25th Soke Shinkage Ryu (Taigi Juku Dojo).
    Nakajima Masasuke Soke(24th) previous to Toyoshima.
    Koide Tomoo Cheif Director (Taigi Juku Dojo)
    Both Toyoshima Soke and Koide sensei are featured in Budo - The Art of Killing and were Matsushita Sensei's instructors. Matsushita sensei served as uchideshi for seven years at the Taigi Juku Dojo. But has been traing since a very young age.
    Fukiya Sensei (long hair in video) Sempai to Matsushita sensei.
    Style of iai is Shin Shin Muso Ryu.
    Matsushita Sensei ,since his split with Toyoshima Soke, teaches Mei Shin Muso Ryu iaido.
    As for the lineage of Shinkage ryu - Matsushita has never mentioned a branch, just that it goes directly back to one of the original students of Kamiizumi Ise no Kami.
    Thank you,
    Jon Csensits

Likes (received)

Default Budo A of k

To answer one of the questions in the thread.

Koide sensei is the one doing Jodo as Fukiya sensei is using shinken.
    Jon Csensits

Likes (received)

Jon,

Thanks for posting!

Hope to see you in class soon....

Tom
    Tom DeAngelo
    "If you fall down seven times, get up eight."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by JMC
    ...As for the lineage of Shinkage ryu - Matsushita has never mentioned a branch, just that it goes directly back to one of the original students of Kamiizumi Ise no Kami....
    I'm pretty sure it's Hikida Shinkage Ryu, named for Hikida Bungoro who was one of Nobutsuna's ablest students (and I believe was Nobutsuna's nephew).
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I stumbled upon this site through doing a 'google' search on Sadaharu Fujimoto.

I remember watching the film Budo the Art of Killing around 1990 and remember being fascinated by a karateka breaking bottle necks with the edge of his hand, punching the makiwara and beating up a train with the ball of his foot etc.

Shobukai Karate has been the style that I have been training in for nearly 25 yrs. My teachers name is Ivan Mehkek who was a top sport karateka back in the late '70s early '80s in Australia. After retiring from sport karate, he became dissatisfied with karate in Australia and sought a number of high ranking Sensei in Japan. He eventually settled with Fujimoto Sensei since he had what he was looking for, mainly a very practical self defence, hard style.

I visited Sensei Sadaharu Fujimoto in Tokyo back in 1992 after writing to him and receiving permission. I stayed there and trained for 2 weeks and had a great time. The thing that I really noticed about the man was the amount of extreme hand and foot and body conditioning that he did. When I first laid eyes on him (I was 25) he had a terrific physique with large hands and feet. Both his feet and hands were heavily calloused and yet quite gentle. When I first shook his hand he had a crush grip that was certainly imposing. I believe he would have been in his late 50s back then and now would definitely be in his mid 70s.

He had a two story house with the bottom floor as the dojo. Directly above his house were railway tracks and every 5mins you could here the 'chugga chugga' sound of a train passing by.

In the dojo were a wide range of students from complete beginners to black belts. I was the only one of two westerners there at the time. The training was physically demanding ranging from kata, kihon, bunkai and occasionaly a little of club fighting. He was very interested in disabling the weapons of the attacker. For example, put a backfist on the inside of an attackers shin bone when they were attempting a front kick onto you. This of course required strong knuckles and great timing. Or chop down onto an arm when a punh was heading towards the stomach thus disabling that arm. He also had barbells where people did deadlifts, squats, powercleans and snatches. During training, I didn't see any serious injuries.

While he would take the class, occasionally he would forget that we existed and for the next 15-20min he would whack that makiwarra (yes the same one in the documentary) like a man possessed. He would pull out a large cement filled can (around 10kg) and hang it from a beam head high. Then he would proceed to shuto the thing on the rebound with the edge of his hand. Another time he would hand a pouch filled with lead pellets around 5kg and nukite on the rebound with his fingers. He had very tough hands, feet and elbows that inflicted pain. Once he visited Australia on the Gold Coast and young Aussie punk proceeded to challenge him - Fujimoto Sensei proceeded to what I would describe as scalping this challenger with his nukite (a flap of skin and hair came off!) and was rushed to hospital. The training in Tokyo was an experience to say the least!

A few years ago I came across a site (doesn't exist anymore) whereby I got in touch with a Japanese Sensei called Mitani. Fujimoto Sensei is Mitani's Sensei senior student. Mitani Kazuya Sensei is Hiroshi Kinjo Sensei's senior student. I believe Hiroshi Sensei is still alive as is Mitani Sensei. Here is the amazing part in all this: Hiroshi Sensei was a direct student of Itosu who introduced karate to the public school system. So there is this direct lineage which is just great.

A student from my club trained with Fujimoto Sensei a few years back and when he came back he reported that Fujimoto Sensei still did hand and foot conditioning at that ripe old age. He was nukiteing a floor to ceiling back on the rebound!

Anyway, apologies for the long post. There is probably more, but I can't think of anything at the moment.

All the best,
    Peter

Likes (received)

Thank you, Peter, for that fascinating account. That's exactly the kind of material I'm interested in.

It's great to hear the Fujimoto Sensei was still training well into his senior years. (There's still hope for me.)

[Moderator hat on.] Please don't forget to sign your last name to your posts, as you agreed when you joined E-Budo. It's one of our most strictly enforced rules, so we have to apply it universally. The easiest thing to do is to go to your User Control Panel and add it as an auto signature that will appear on every post. Thanks. [/Moderator hat off.]
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

G'day Brian,

Your welcome! Hope the info is useful.

I haven't seen Fujimoto Sensei since then but that student that visited him 2 years ago showed him a group photo of our karate class and he still remembered me from all those years ago which now includes my greying hair, so that made me feel great lol!

I'd heard he recently suffered a heart attack but was well on his way to recovery and now actively training again. Actually I would like to post a topic on ageing and training, when I have some time; so busy these days!

I'm seriously thinking of writing to him again and visiting next year, but next year is a long way off and who knows what can come around the corner.

Oh, My signature added.
    All the best,
    Peter Sbirakos

Likes (received)

Default Fujimoto Sensei

Peter,

I visited Fujimoto Sensei in 2001 & 2003. He also visited Brisbane in 2005 (November) and is looking hale and hearty. Still doing great at 75. Still training and sparring (after a heart attack back in 2004!!!) He is looking stronger every time I see him. While he has slowed down a little since I first met him in the 80s, he certainly is still capable, and can still open a beer bottle quicker than I

Just some follow-ons from some of your earlier comments...

Kinjo Sensei is still alive and in his late 80s. Kinjo Sensei studied under Oshiro Sensei and Hanashiro Sensei, the Itosu link is a little more distant. He visited Australia around 2002-3! was running Tegumi workshops with Patrick McCarthy I think.
    Regards,

Glenn Irvine
    Senior Instructor - Kodomon Karate-Do
    http://www.kodomon.com.au
    glenn.irvine@kodomon.com.au
    +61 405 010 999

Likes (received)

I always wanted to know more about "that guy who beats up trains." That's one of my favorite segments of the video. Thanks for sharing the story!
    Ken Akiyama
    Shorin Ryu
    Goju Ryu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by JMC/

Toyoshima Kazutora 25th Soke Shinkage Ryu (Taigi Juku Dojo)

Both Toyoshima Soke and Koide sensei are featured in Budo - The Art of Killing and were Matsushita Sensei's instructors. Matsushita sensei served as uchideshi for seven years at the Taigi Juku Dojo.

As for the lineage of Shinkage ryu - Matsushita has never mentioned a branch, just that it goes directly back to one of the original students of Kamiizumi Ise no Kami.
    Thank you,
    Jon Csensits

Toyoshima Kazutora kata photo:

http://www.shitoryu.org/events/Japan...000japan15.jpg

Some discussion about the Shinkage lines mentioning the Hikida/Hikita Shinkage line. Interestingly, this is the line which Hunter Armstrong was associated. Armstrong was highly respected by my friends and long time budoka when I was living in Osaka. There must have been a good reason that he traveled from Kyoto to Nagoya to train at the Hikida school!

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/printthread.php?t=30045

Meik Skoss’ clarification of the lineage of the Shinkage schools.

http://listserv.uoguelph.ca/cgi-bin/...-l&O=A&P=14077
    Matthew Rogers
    Scarborough Martial Arts Training Group
    http://www.spiritforging.com

Likes (received)

Now I'm a bit confused as to what line Mr. Toyoshima Kazutora is the headmaster of, as said in the picture above. It isn't mainline Hikita Shinkage-ryu (headed by Kato Isao-sensei).. an offshoot of that, perhaps? Or a completely seperate line all together?

All the Shinkage-ryu lineages makes my head spin.

Regards,
    - Alex Dale

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Dale
    ...mainline Hikita Shinkage-ryu (headed by Kato Isao-sensei)...
    I was under the impression that Isao Kato's school is Owari Shinkage Ryu (and also Owari Kan Ryu), a few generations seperated from your line, and not Hikida Shinkage Ryu, which was never of your line.

Don't quote me on that, though; I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Dale
    ...All the Shinkage-ryu lineages makes my head spin. ...
    Mine too!
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default showtime extreme is showing Budo

I spotted this over the weekend, they are showing it multiple times. Get your DVR or VCR ready.

Below is a link to the scheduled showing, you can find it on a quick google search with "showtime extreme budo" as keywords if the link doesn't work.

http://www.sho.com/site/schedules/pr...isodeid=129317

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3