Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sudoku

Likes (received)

Default Sudoku

I don't know how many of you are familiar with this puzzle game.

If you think about it for a minute, you will realize that Japanese and Chinese don't lend themselves to crossword puzzles. Instead, the Asians have always enjoyed number games. Su Doku puzzles are often printed in Japanese newspapers as English papers have the daily crossword. They originated in England, but were quickly picked up the Asian world. The puzzles are even now starting to show up in American newspapers.

It is amazingly simple, yet at the same time very complex. It requires some visualization and a great deal of logic.

Here is the site that I have spent all too much time at:

Web Sudoku
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Nanami Guest

I've got to admit...I never noticed SU-DOKU in papers while in Japan (some 10~15 years ago).
    Crossword puzzles in katakana were on papers & mags I remember.

I went to that site and started working on one...then another...and more.
    SU-DOKU is addictive...

Likes (received)

HI

Some UK newspapers publish them every day.

My 10 year old daughter is obsessed with them. If she finds one in a paper she asks if she can cut it out and spends hours doing them.
    Paul Richardson - Shidoshi
    Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo

Likes (received)

Default If the link doesn't work, then just type "Sudoku" in the mag's search thingie

Here is a recent Slate article about sudoku. Author prefers crossword puzzles, but it was an interesting post and the first time I'd heard of the game.
    Last edited by nicojo; 15th August 2005 at 02:56.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.