Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hatsumi sensei - koppo- DVD

Likes (received)

Default Hatsumi sensei - koppo- DVD

Has anyone seen this DVD and if so what were your feelings on the content?

ralph severe, kamiyama
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com
    The best Japanese and Mexican Bugei in Dallas !

Likes (received)

I had a viewing of this new DVD this week with the Academy.
    I was surprised to see that most of this DVD was old footage of the Koto ryu VHS.
    There were short shots of new footage in between some of the old.
    Towards the end the DVD took a different turn into other koppojutsu ryu.
    I was surprised at the lack of information it presented.
    I was totally surprised at how Hatsumi sensei didn’t seem to know the subject matter.
    This makes me ponder a great deal.

ralph severe, kamiyama
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

Likes (received)

I’ll take the bait since it’s a slow day…

Mr. Severe,
    The Koppo DVD was an updated/reformat of the program originally issued on VHS. I wonder how this could surprise since other previously released titles were similarly modified when re-released as DVDs. Whatever happened to “banpen fugyo”?

I do miss Mr. Manaka but I categorically disagree with your assertions that the new material lacks useful information or that Hatsumi sensei appears to not possess mastery of the subject of koppo.

I’d suggest that you have voluntarily marginalized yourself so completely that you have lost the ability to efficiently extract useful information from Hatsumi sensei’s movement but I think you are just spreading disinformation and looking for a sucker (me) to respond.
    a man who wears fur should never spit on a man who wears suede.

Likes (received)

I do miss Mr. Manaka but I categorically disagree with your assertions that the new material lacks useful information or that Hatsumi sensei appears to not possess mastery of the subject of koppo.
    **ky, I never said it lack new material. What I said and if you read my post again you will find it says I was surprised how Hatsumi sensei was lacking in his concepts and information regarding the koppo ryu he was demonstrating. Almost as if he not sure what to say or do regarding the koppo ryu. If I were a betting man and didn’t know Hatsumi sensei I would bet he doesn’t have information in detail regarding the koppo ryu he is showing on this DVD. But I’m not that betting man. I’m sure he is a master of the ryu as far as a menkyo goes. I don’t disagree with this… not at all.****

I’d suggest that you have voluntarily marginalized yourself so completely that you have lost the ability to efficiently extract useful information from Hatsumi sensei’s movement but I think you are just spreading disinformation and looking for a sucker (me) to respond.
    **ky, I wouldn’t be the betting man who bets against my understanding of what is being shown by any martial artist…. especially Hatsumi sensei.
    Disinformation.. how so?****

I feel the DVD will do well because it seems like a scam to use old Koto ryu with some new stuff for cash.
    I enjoyed it..
    But I didn't pay for it either.

I say get it.. see for yourself..

Thanks for the reply

ralph severe, kamiyama
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

Likes (received)

I want to make one thing clear..
    I support Hatsumi sensei and feel what I did see of him on the DVD was totally great. He has my respect for what he can do at his age.. and he's a wonderful example.

So don't take my honesty the wrong way.
    I just gave my opinion on the DVD.

ralph severe, kamiyama
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

Likes (received)

Mr. Severe,
    I do appreciate your opinions but I think you sugar-coat disparagements and sprinkle them liberally within. I won't argue with your own experience but, if I said that my opinion of your on-line strategies was not related to my opinion of your understanding of koppo or budo I would be dishonest.

I do not consider myself to be an apologist: this DVD is very useful if you practice the current Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. There is a practical element and a demonstration of the potential to really "keep on truckin'." Hatsumi sensei's movement and understanding of koppo are represented at two distinct stages of his life. Senno sensei and Yabunaka sensei provide very good counter-points to Hatsumi sensei's recent movement. There are some excellent lessons not present on the VHS release but you need better eyes than I have to see them all.

Likes (received)

I feel Hatsumi sensei says it best.. "koppo is just koppo, nothing more"

Yes.. nothing more or less.

I feel to many are loast in the vortex of the koppojutsu, koshijutsu, shitojutsu, etc.. and forgetting the real reason they train.

ralph severe, kamiyama
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

Likes (received)

My god, are you actually saying you know more than Hatsumi? We all laugh at you, but this is really, really funny, 8/19

Hello,
    Funny statement and you give no background on yourself.
    No I'm not saying I know anything at all.
    But I’m giving my opinion of what I saw on this DVD of koppojutsu by Hatsumi sensei.
    You can laugh at my opinion.. it still stands.
    One thing I will say I know more of than Hatsumi sensei and that is ‘real time’ fighting experience.
    Thanks for your statement.

ralph severe, kamiyama
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

Likes (received)

Mr. Severe,
    I'm going to work but my wife says that I can play for a minute.

You appear to be quoting someone's post from 8/19 but I don't see it in this thread. Would it be too much trouble to explain to those of us following the thread who the author of the quote you used to continue this discussion is?

I have had very little luck with the "confuse and exhaust" strategy lately and this time it may not be working for you either.

Let's change the subject:
    Would you maybe update us on your progress with tabi making? They looked very nice and address the poor-wear issues.

Have a happy Sunday.

Likes (received)

Hello,
    The tabi are great and I will never have to buy a pair again.

On the other subject.. I was just answering a statement made by a reader about my post he left me on PM.

People make very silly statements regarding my post because they misunderstand them, dislike me or don't really read them for what they are worth.
    They are mainly worth nothing.. if you don't 'get it'.
    It is not my intention to discredit Hatsumi sensei or any other person.
    I just give my opinion.
    My experience is just what it is.. nothing more or less.

Thanks,

ralph severe, kamiyama
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com