Likes Likes:  0

Thread: All-Japan Tournament rules different than others?

Likes (received)

Default All-Japan Tournament rules different than others?

What are the All-Japan tournament rules? I have heard that the legendary tournament (once the greatest tournement in Judo) had different rules.

Troll Basher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Pack
    What are the All-Japan tournament rules? I have heard that the legendary tournament (once the greatest tournement in Judo) had different rules.
    I am sure you can find something on the internet if you do a search.
    Most likely it was the greatest at one time because it was where judo started( started as in Japan).

Likes (received)

Default judo rules

I have heard from friend who practice judo that "Nippon judo" is different from "international judo". Their claim is that judo in Japan focuses on the perfect throw, the ippon. They are not looking for half points, or an imperfect throw that leads into groundwork (though they may be forced to take these options). Apparently Japanese judoka spend more time standing in the clinch, waiting/looking for the opportunity for the match-ending nage waza...
    Nullius in verba

MarkF Guest

If you mean that the rules may be different from those rules of the International Judo Federation, they probably are. Those rules are not written in stone and are completely voluntary even to tournaments of national governing bodies of judo. There is a pretty large notice about that in the rules section at the IJF web site.

The rules of that tournament have been written by the Japanese Judo Federation, a member nation of the IJF, and which was formed out of the banning of the Zen Nihon Butokukai in the late 1940s. Originally absorbed by the Kodokan, it was formed of the judo players of the Butokukai (this has little to do with the "Dai Nippon Butokukai" of today which has a branch in the US). Everyone knows the rules have change significantly, but I am sure those rules can be found on the web site of the Japan Judo Federation. I do not know if they are today translated into other languages but last time I checked it was only in Japanese. It may have changed.

If you really want to get into rules from the early days, it took two Ippon throws, pins, or one submission to win outright. That tournament is still one of only a handful of important tournaments as Japan generally is heads above other countries in judo. It is still important and has a great history, such as Mas. Kimura returning to amateur judo after a long professional career, winning his division for a second time and the famous draw in the Grand Championships. This too, was Kimura's second time in first place. He retired from Judo after that tournament to teach.

BTW: Everyone goes for the technique-laden ippon throw and Judo has always been a tachi budo. No one prefers waza-ari or point wins though there are those who will milk a slight lead as much as is possible. The rules are the rules so you are going to have to live with them. That is one of the principle reason the Japanese capture so many gold medals in world-class tournaments, including the All Japan tournament.

The rules WERE different, but not just in Japan and at only that tournament. Before WWII, it took two ippon to win a match outright and it was frequently a combination of a throw and a pin or submission. The rules in the 1950s and 1960s changed again. What replaced the two-ippon rule were the two waza-ari or "waza-ari awasete Ippon." But the first Ippon is like the KO in boxing and ends a match outright. Submission or pinning for thirty seconds (or two pins of twenty-five to twenty-nine seconds but less than thirty, was the same as two waza-ari throws), and an approved lock of the elbow joint for submission also won. There were also many draws which was nice, actually. Certainly it was better than a disputed win or loss, but you can work within today's rules and come out with a satisfactory achievement.

Another BTW: I find the complaint of too much ground fighting to be quaint. I have been to a lot of judo seminars and seminars of other styles with teachers with backgrounds in judo over the decades. There is one thing that never changed at those seminars, and these go back more than thirty years: The most-oft requested waza is "Judo Newaza" to include pins, strangles, and joint locking. Usually, it comes from those of other styles of budo who do not have much in the way of grappling, especially ground grappling.

The rules of that tournament are similar to any tournament in any country though they do not follow all rules of international judo. They are too numerous to list here so have a look at the IJF web site and read the rules. That should take a few hours. Differences would be minor, such as no rule of the blue judogi, the fighting surface area may vary and depending on referees, they may be allowed to ground fight as long as progress is made, and a few other minor differences. Kodokan rules are closer to the old way. One important differences is the lack of scored koka partial points, though they do score yuko, a higher score than koka but lower than waza-ari. In nage-waza, the general rule which is dependant on judgement of the shinban, states uke must hit the mat with some force on fifty per cent or more of uke's back. Older referees tend not to score the "soft" rolling Ippon but they will score it something.

The rules are the rules. That is the situation so deal with it (I only mean that there isn't much one can do so you have to learn to fight within rules that exist at the moment).

Mark

Likes (received)

Thank you for the explaination! Very detailed and informative.

I think I perfer the old rules of judo. This helps clear up some things like how some people bring up how Judo has changed to not have as much ground game in the sport.

You can see this because of the rules change.

As for having to deal with the current rules...may be not! May be I'll work my way up the ranks and change the system!

Take 'em back to Kimura's day rules!!!