Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dai Nippon Butokukai

Likes (received)

Default Dai Nippon Butokukai

What exactly is the Dai Nippon Botokukai and where is it located. I tried googling and came up with nothing. This is what I understand about the Dai Nippon Botokukai. Its a goverment in Japan that has the authority to license (?) and recognized traidional the japanese budo. ( Then again I could be wrong) Do they also recognized Okinawan arts as well ? Is there a list somewhere that shows what budo the Dai Nippon Botokukai recognises ?

Thanks everyone !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

It's easier to find information when you know how to spell the name of the organization - Butokukai, not Botokukai.

History of DNBK on their web site. I don't know much about the organization, myself, but they have a rather nice english website.

---
    Sebastien L.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Loeffler
    What exactly is the Dai Nippon Botokukai and where is it located. I tried googling and came up with nothing. This is what I understand about the Dai Nippon Botokukai. Its a goverment in Japan that has the authority to license (?) and recognized traidional the japanese budo. ( Then again I could be wrong) Do they also recognized Okinawan arts as well ? Is there a list somewhere that shows what budo the Dai Nippon Botokukai recognises ?

Thanks everyone !
    The DNBK was a governmental organization until WWII; the American occupation of Japan disbanded it since it was considered part of the imperial government organization. The organization has been restructured in the late 1950s (not sure about date) and currently exists as an interdisciplinary Japanese M.A. organization. I happen to know it has a Karate department in it.

Amir
    Amir Krause

Likes (received)

Try searching dnbk.

Look at http://personal.picusnet.com/butoku/
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

Likes (received)

Hate to bring this topic back up. How does one see what karate styles are registered and recognized by this organization ? I tried googling and yes with no luck. I am just curious that's all.

This site has all the historical info and representatives but no contact info given out.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

...How does one see what karate styles are registered and recognized by this organization?

...This site has all the historical info and representatives but no contact info given out.
    Since you are in California, you might try contacting Ken Shockey. He is a Daly City-based member of the DNBK Karatedo division.

Here's a Web address: http://www.geocities.com/maidc_washinkan/

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hate to bring this topic back up. How does one see what karate styles are registered and recognized by this organization ? I tried googling and yes with no luck. I am just curious that's all.

This site has all the historical info and representatives but no contact info given out.
    Membership is individual on the whole and by invitation only.
    Trevor Gilbert
    ("If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying "Here goes number seventy-one" - Richard M. DeVos)

Likes (received)

In answer to your main query though, because membership is for individuals styles are not registered. Thus, although there is a karate division , members could be of any style.
    Trevor Gilbert
    ("If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying "Here goes number seventy-one" - Richard M. DeVos)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by trevorg
    In answer to your main query though, because membership is for individuals styles are not registered. Thus, although there is a karate division , members could be of any style.

Got it ! Thanks Trevor !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Got it ! Thanks Trevor !
    No Probs. Their site has a different url and has been updated a bit, it is www.dnbk.org Full information is contained on the site which, if only some of the sceptics I have seen on other threads had a look then they might have a fuller understanding.

You will see the international division is headed by Hamada Hanshi who is based in Norfolk,Virginia I believe.

Trevor
    Trevor Gilbert

Likes (received)

Dr Llyr C Jones (ジョーンズ)

Likes (received)

I don’t quite get it… are they promoting traditional Japanese budo or martial art sports? Seeing as Karatedo and kendo are there, looks like they are promoting sports.
    Dante Zoing

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twist
    I don’t quite get it… are they promoting traditional Japanese budo or martial art sports? Seeing as Karatedo and kendo are there, looks like they are promoting sports.
    In the main DNBK promotes gendai-budo. and not koryu. However, the genadi budo such as aikido, judo, karate-do etc are promoted without an emphasis on the sports or competition aspects that have infected them from modern governing bodies.
    Dr Llyr C Jones (ジョーンズ)

Likes (received)

Hello

The DNBK of today should not be confused with the DNBK of pre WW2. Despite claims to the contrary they are nothing alike and are not the same organization. The claim of being "by invitation only" is curious. A good friend visited their headquarter offices in Japan, paid a membership fee and was accepted as a Wado ryu yudansha without ANY documentation.

Not very reassuring.

Will Bauer / Wado ryu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twist
    ...are they promoting traditional Japanese budo or martial art sports? Seeing as Karatedo and kendo are there, looks like they are promoting sports.
    Karatedo and Kendo are traditional martial arts.

Sure there is a sporting aspect to Karatedo (as with Judo and some other martial arts), but if one has ever set foot inside a traditional dojo (as opposed to a "kurrotty studio" or "McDojo") there should be no doubt that it is also a Budo.

Kendo is a competitive sport, but -- as with Karatedo -- there is a profound link to the Martial Arts & Ways of the past.

Among traditional dojo, the line dividing Koryu and Gendai Budo/Bujutsu/Bugei is often a blurry one, of more importance to historians than to Bugeisha.

That's how I feel, at any rate.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast