Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Koru Passai? or Passai Qua

Likes (received)

TJ,

Thank you very much for replying back. I think it’s unfortunate if they haven’t done so due to the fact that that footage would be a tangible cultural asset to the Okinawa Government.

Regards,
    Larry
    Larry Kientz
    “When you train you have to devote yourself to karate do… You must not only learn body movements but also research and study the art itself.” - Choshin Chibana

Likes (received)

I'm fairly sure Mr. Lee has not.
    -John Oberle-
    Personal martial arts site:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter16a2
    I have seen many versions of the Passai kata and found that most are very similar. I have a copy of the late Masanobu Kina performing a version of Shimabuku Passai. I was told that this form comes from the Shimabuku village area and is actually written down in their town hall. I was told that Masanobu Kina had learned the form from his uncle, Peichin Kina.
    Another version of Passai that I have seen done was by Seiki Arakaki was Nishihara Passai. Again this is a village kata. The interesting thing is that the major moves seem to be there but the order is a little different.
    Edward A. Harper
    Hi Ed; I have film of Kina Masanobu doing a sai kata and i think Passai also
    that i took in 79/80 time frame. Do you know the years that you have .
    He was a very nice man and to my knowledge only taught a few servicemen,
    before he died. do you know if the copy you have is posted on the web any where?
    thank you
    bill steigner
    Jinbukai
    william steigner

Likes (received)

Default Troll Basher went off again!

RobertRousselot
    Registered User Join Date: Aug 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackwood
    Yes. I was at a seminar in 2003 that taught Koryu Passai. I have a video someplace that shows at least part of it.

Koryu Passai simply means "old style" Passai and is not the name of a kata.

#8 08-18-2005, 02:27 PM
    RobertRousselot
    Registered User Join Date: Aug 2005

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRousselot
    Here is a list of most, if not all, the Passai practiced in Okinawa:

Passai Dai
    Passai Sho
    Chibana no Passai
    Oyadomari no Passai
    Kiyan no Passai
    Ishimine no Passai
    Teruya no Passai
    Tawada no Passai
    Azato no Passai
    Soeishi no Passai
    Motobu Passai

I highly doubt there is a legit "Koryu" Passai or "Koru" Passai.
    I highly doubt you know what your talking about. But then again I could be wrong..Then again I know Koryu Passai kata an Bunkai as well as Many other OKINAWA Karateka do.

Robert, I hope you travel to Okinawa and see Shorin Ryu up close, since your sooo close. I'll be more than happy to provide you Dojo names...but wait just look in the Okinawa Prefecute dictionary and you will find all the Dojo's ..except yours.

Cheer up

Jim
    [FONT=Arial]Jim Kass[/FONT]

Likes (received)

Default Okinawan Dojo

Hello,

although my question does not belong to the Passai subject, I am curious, Mr. Kass, why should the school of a teacher, who is living in America, be listed in "the Okinawa Prefecture Dictionary"?

Regards,

Henning Wittwer

Likes (received)

I assume Mr. Kass meant to write Directory rather than Dictionary, (probably a victim of spell check) Nonetheless not having read this thread very closely, I'm not sure of the details of the discussion, but to address the question about registration on Okinawa; about 2 years ago, the prefectural Board of Education requested all the different karate groups on Okinawa, Renmei, Kyokai, etc... to submit a list of the recognized dojo. Domestic and international dojo were included on this list, form which the Board of Education published the directory.

I'm not suggesting that this directory is 100% inclusive, but certainly the burden would be heavier to show direct lineage if your dojo was not submitted when others were.

Here is an online version of the directory:

http://www-edu.pref.okinawa.jp/hotai...ist/index.html

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kogan
    Is there an English version??
    All My Best,

Todd Wayman

"…since karate is a martial art, you must practice with the utmost seriousness from the very beginning."

- G. Funakoshi, Karate-Do Nyumon, 1943

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by twayman
    Is there an English version??
    English version is here

Mine is #28

Happy Holidays!
    ~ Larry
    Larry Kientz
    “When you train you have to devote yourself to karate do… You must not only learn body movements but also research and study the art itself.” - Choshin Chibana

Likes (received)

Just to be clear, the pointer that Larry provided is not the English list, these are merely enteries in the directory that were submited not using Japanese characters. This romanized parts of the list are not a duplicate of the Japanese parts of the list, it just wouldn't make sense to write non-Japanese names and addresse in Katakana, as this was meant to be used as a mailing list.

Could you imagine what the local mailman would do with the mail in Italy, US or Argentina if it arrived in Japanese.

Likes (received)

Default My Apologies

My apologies - that is not an English version and it's exactly what Daniel stated.

The local mailman would pull his hair out!

Daniel: Did you receive an envelope with surveys from them about a year ago too? They also included postage to mail back to Okinawa.

Jim Kass:
    Hi Jim - it's nice to see you here again. Happy Holidays to you!
    You still have the best salmon I've ever tasted!

Best Regards,
    Larry
    Larry Kientz

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5