Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: do you replace your belt?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • no

19 45.24%
  • yes

20 47.62%
  • frequently buy new ones, but make them look old...

0 0%
  • belt? I prefer doing everything nude!

3 7.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacing your belt or making it look older?

MarkF Guest

Aaron,

You da man. That is exactly what dogi are and were meant to be; training clothes. It is not different than wearing sweat clothes. I wore the same two dogi from the early seventies on into the 2000s. They were patched, sewn, fit me like a glove (a tight one) so no one could grip his way. They probably broke rules every time I word then after, say the 1980s but they endured a career of getting to every shiai I could and still stood up.

I wonder if that says something about the quality of those days or the rules of today.

Mark

MarkF Guest

Aaron,

You da man. That is exactly what dogi are and were meant to be; training clothes. It is not different than wearing sweat clothes. I wore the same two dogi from the early seventies on into the 2000s. They were patched, sewn, fit me like a glove (a tight one) so no one could grip his way. They probably broke rules every time I wore them onto the shiai mats after, say the 1980s but they endured a career of getting to every shiai I could and still stood up.

I wonder if that says something about the quality of judogi then of those days or the rules of today.

Mark

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF
    Aaron,

You da man. That is exactly what dogi are and were meant to be; training clothes. It is not different than wearing sweat clothes. I wore the same two dogi from the early seventies on into the 2000s. They were patched, sewn, fit me like a glove (a tight one) so no one could grip his way. They probably broke rules every time I wore them onto the shiai mats after, say the 1980s but they endured a career of getting to every shiai I could and still stood up.

I wonder if that says something about the quality of judogi then of those days or the rules of today.

Mark
    probably says more about the quality, my dogi never live past 2 years.
    Rogier van der Peijl

REAL SCOTSMEN WEAR KILTS because sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yards!

Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
    Ah, what a cutie, Rogier. I'll bet a lot of ladies in Netherlands are mourning because you are out of circulation now!

JCCAikikai Guest

u serious? wut kinda crap !!! gi do u buy lol? i consider my practise above average rigour, but the gi will still have to withstand lots and lots b4 i have to replace it. its a FUJI brand, dunno if its in respect among u guys here.

my gi pants have been patched twice already lol, left and right knee how convenient

MarkF Guest

Rogier probably beats the hell out of his dogi which translates to a lot of keiko. That is a good thing. Grip fighting was rare when I was young, especially when compared to today's judo player which is a major reason for tearing now, I believe.

I had the same instructor from 1970 or so until his death in 1989. I had another before from 1963 to about 1969. One was the student of the other. His words to a class were brief and to the point, then we played and played hard. I cannot recall anyone ripping his/her uwagi in all that time but shitagi came apart at the seam (Usually the one running right down the middle of one's cheeks, a usually embarrassing accident that in shiai, could not be stopped until the shinban saw it which could take a while).

I should have said that it was the uwagi that never wore out, the pants gave out quite often. I long for the days of the short-sleeved, short-legged dogi. I think giving more area to grip contributed to the grip fighting of today.

As to "cheap-a$$" dogi, that only fits if you have the cash to spend on so-called quality. Most of my students buy as inexpensively as possible, but to most, they are very expensive no matter the cost. I often go into my own pocket so they can get one but I am not against a pair of sweat pants and an old overcoat, buttons removed if that is all there is.

"Cheap" is relative.

Mark

JCCAikikai Guest

u shudve mentioned that only particular parts of ur gi wore out, cuz i got an impression that it becomes trash all over, sry bout that tho

i bought my gi for $80 canadian, i think its ok :S

Likes (received)

I am slightly guilty of 'making belts look old', but for the simple reason that I can't tie brand new belts worth a damn! New belts are so stiff it's almost impossible to tie them and have any material left on the ends of the knot. And you get a nice big knot that bulges a few inches out the front.

I prefer to just wear my old belt. Older the better.
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Likes (received)

Arrow

I always give my students the 1.5" wide belts as they break in real fast and dont fall off during training. The 1.75" are mostly for guys with big belly's.

As for the new or old obi, I can not think of anything else we wear that we do not replace when it is worn. Sure your teacher gave it to you and it has some meaning but that same teacher should now sell you a new obi especially if your black obi is turning white or grey.

And just so you know, the obi does not hold all your chi/ki/energy...your karate is in your heart not your belt. If your belt is dirty wash it if your belt is old/white/looks like a rag then get a new one. All the "masters" in my org. wear black belts that ARE black, these masters (age 75+) have set the example for us.
    Ken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2