Likes Likes:  0

Thread: torn bicep tendon

Likes (received)

Default torn bicep tendon

I had a very busy couple of weeks with a kung fu grading, ju jitsu grading, iaido and full contact sparring. then on monday i lent on my arm when i was trying to get something out of a drawer, and managed to tear the bicep tendon in my right arm. it is just torn rather than severed, but is the most painful thing ive ever done!!!!

right now im in a sling which i have to wear for 5 days, then start mobilising it slowly and building it up slowly.

how long is this going to take to heal? what exercises can i do to strengthen my arm? i am right handed which is a bind. how do i stop this from happening again??? did this happen because of the arm locks used in ju jitsu? help!!!

i am taking uber painkillers right now too when can i return to training?
    lucy lingo

Likes (received)

Lucy,

The answers to your questions depends on a lot of info you haven't provided.

1. How was the tear diagnosed (Dr or Ultrasound)?
    2. Where in the biceps is it?
    3. How big is it?
    4. Are the tissues around the tear normal?
    5. How far apart are the 2 torn muscle ends?
    6. How old are you?

Fortunately for you, how excruciating the pain is following a muscle tear is not indicative of how long it will take to heal. In fact, partial tears are often more painful than complete ruptures. The reason for this is thought to be the fact that the intact muscle fibres at either end of the tear are stretched and therefore generate pain signals. With a complete rupture, there are no stretched muscle fibres to generate pain.

My guess, on the limited info you have provided, is that you will be in some pain for 1-2 weeks. You will be able to resume some gentle upper limb training within 6 weeks but the healing tissue will not reach maximum strength for at least 6 months. It may be wise to avoid techniques involving forceful contraction or stretching of the torn muscle for that long at least.

It's too early to predict the likelihood of recurrences.

I hope that this is of help.

Cheers,
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

My non-medical opinion --

If you haven't seen an orthopedist yet, see one. If you have seen the orthopedist already, consider scheduling some regular appointments for awhile. After seeing the orthopedist, if surgery is recommended, then (for this condition), sooner is generally better than later.

Also, follow all advice given during physical therapy. Laziness in physical therapy can lead to permanent muscle atrophy. Meanwhile, too aggressive a program can lead to more severe injury.

For biceps tears in general, see (for example):

* http://www.emedicine.com/pmr/topic15.htm

For tears at the elbow, see (for example):

* http://www.emedx.com/emedx/diagnosis...al_outline.htm

For tears toward the shoulder, see (for example):

* http://www.shoulder1.com/care/condition20.cfm/22

From the first site, recommendations on avoiding re-injury include:

BEGIN QUOTE

Deterrence/Prevention:

* Pathophysiology of biceps tendon rupture often is related intimately to chronic irritation, inflammation, and impingement; therefore, prevention of ruptures is accomplished best when the patient can avoid repetitive maneuvers and activities that predispose to tendinitis, bursitis, and rotator cuff injuries.

* Avoidance of falls with direct trauma to the muscle or tendon and reduction of incidents of rapid, heavy loading of the muscle (especially with the elbow flexed and forearm supinated) also may be helpful in decreasing the likelihood of rupture.

END QUOTE

Be careful of the NSAIDs, too, as they can tear up your stomach, liver, and so on. At a minimum, give up alcohol while using "uber painkillers."

Likes (received)

I ripped an abd wall muscle a few years back. Son of a gun that hurt, it took about three months to be back to full strenght and flexibility. About a month before I could do anything on the mat.

Take your time, heal up and rehab.

Aaron Fields

Likes (received)

Cool

much appareciated advice. i went back to the GP today for a quick review. she has referred me for some physio which should help me out somewhat!!!

I actually drove myself there too, which was interesting.... driving with one arm isnt easy!!! lol.
    lucy lingo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by KatanaGal
    I actually drove myself there too, which was interesting.... driving with one arm isnt easy!!! lol.
    It's probably illegal as well .
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Sorry to hear about your injury. I've had similar injuries which kept me out of the loop for months, and it's really frustrating.

There's an herb from India, used in ayurveda, called cissus quadrangularis, that is used to strengthen bone and, more specifically, tendon. It has analgesic and anti-catabolic properties. It was 'discovered' and brought to the US by a small company, USPLabs. tHeir product is Cissus RX:

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=2475

Cissus Quadrangularis has been a staple of traditional Indian medicine for centuries. USPlabs researchers discovered the power of this unique herbal remedy and have now made it available to Western athletes and bodybuilders, or anyone else who wants to strengthen muscle and bone. Its unique blend of vitamins, minerals, and plant sterol compounds not only build and strengthen muscle and bone, but actually helps deliver nutrients to tendon related injuries, while at the same time soothe the pain of sports related injuries.
    It's gaining lots of attention among strength athletes for its tendon strengthening abilities. It seems to have mild anabolic effects at very high doses, likely from its anti-catabolism. Many people with injuries or recovering from operations have reported very speedy recovery using cissus. It also controls weight gain.

I had tendonitis in my achilles, which disappeared within a month of low dose Cissus supplementation. Pretty fascinating herb, with stellar feedback from users, good studies backing it, and a very high level of safety. It's cheap, too.

If you give it a try, I'd start with the initial 2 caps 3 times a day, then up it to as much as 3-4 caps 4 times a day. I've gone as high as 12/day for over a month, and other have used 15-20 for several years with no ill effects.
    Nate White

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin
    It's probably illegal as well .
    My friend's father lost an arm in a hunting accident when young. He drove everywhere with one arm.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

darn wrong thread
    Last edited by KatanaGal; 15th October 2006 at 21:31.
    lucy lingo