Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Japanese Swords & Sword fittings exhibition

Okashira Guest

Default Japanese Swords & Sword fittings exhibition

These are from the Tokyo National Museum:

All the photos can be found here:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...il-AlbumInvite

This text is from the museum:

Iron sword production in Japan began from aroung the 5th century during the Kofun period (A.D. 25-0600).
    The early swords up to the 10th century were influenced by theri Chinese & Korean counterparts, using straight blades. The tachi with a slightly curved blade, which is the type of sword considered Japanese in general, emerged in the early 11th century.
    The oldest sword smiths of tachi are SANJO munechika of Kyoto & Yasutsuna of Hoki (present-day Tottori Prefecture). Aside from these individuals, sword smiths gatheres in productive communities during the late Heian period, in places as Bizen and Bitchu (both present-day Okayama Prefecture), as well as Yamato (present-day Nara Prefecture). The zenith of Japanese sword production was reached in the Kamakura period (1192-1333) when sword smiths were active all over Japan and regional stylistic characters began to emerge. AWATAGUCHI Yoshimitsu of Kyoto, Masamune in Kamakura of Sagami (present-day Kanagawa Prefecture), ICHIMONJI Yoshifusa and Sukesane in Fukuoka of Bizen, and Nagamitsu and Mitsutada in Osafune (Bizen), are some of the most famous names in sword forging.
    From the latter part od the Muromachi period (1392-1573) onwards, the tachi sword, hung from the belt by cords made way for the katana secured under the obi sash. In the Edo period (1603-1868), sword smiths mainly lived and workd in castle towns under the auspices of the local feudal lords, or in big cities such as Kyoto and Osaka. Edo-period swords are called shinto ("new sword", different to the religion Shinto). The term derived from the original word arami (new blade) used to describe newly forged swords in Edo-period books on this topic. The shinto swords were characteristically forged straighter than medieval examples, with splendid hamon blade edges.

Likes (received)

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth and walk over to the library to look for books on museum security systems.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.