Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lack of practice

Likes (received)

Default Lack of practice

Due to lack of funds, i wasn't able to attend aikido class all last month....and it seems this month will be more of the same.

I try to practice at home...have the dvd with the techniques....but it lacks the feel of being at the dojo.

I guess I'm asking you guys for what motivates you when you can't make it to the dojo to practice?
    Phill Costa

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by GreySilk
    I guess I'm asking you guys for what motivates you when you can't make it to the dojo to practice?
    Love of your art.
    All My Best,

Todd Wayman

"…since karate is a martial art, you must practice with the utmost seriousness from the very beginning."

- G. Funakoshi, Karate-Do Nyumon, 1943

Likes (received)

Aye, there's the rub.

I guess i'm just a lazy !!!...thanks for the response though...makes me think.
    Phill Costa

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GreySilk
    Aye, there's the rub.

I guess i'm just a lazy !!!...thanks for the response though...makes me think.
    I didn't mean any offense by it. Just some times that's what it takes. The fact that you enjoy and want to grow in your art (Love of the art). Can you work it out with your instructor so that you can work out and pay latter? Sometimes money is not the only driving factor for an instructor. Money keeps the dojo running but, IMHO a good instructor will keep a good student regardless.
    All My Best,

Todd Wayman

"…since karate is a martial art, you must practice with the utmost seriousness from the very beginning."

- G. Funakoshi, Karate-Do Nyumon, 1943

Likes (received)

"Sometimes money is not the only driving factor for an instructor. Money keeps the dojo running but, IMHO a good instructor will keep a good student regardless."

Definately, maybe you should ask your instructor to work with you. I tell you, I wouldn't be doing MA today if my instructor had let me quit when I couldn't afford classes anymore.
    S. Henson

Likes (received)

Default Let's make a deal

I agree that you should talk with your Sensei. I know that I and our Chief Instructor have had people come and start paying again when they can.

You can also talk with your Sensei about a barter system. If nothing else get a buddy from the class you can practise with until you can get back to class.
    Robert Cheshire
    Yoseikan Teacher
    www.yoseikanbudo.us
    www.fagri-igraf.org/

Likes (received)

IMHO, there is usually a way to find the funds fro training by making it more of a priority than something less important. I too know my sensei has allowed people to continue training until they could afford it. Some people will let you barter or work off the dues. I stay mtoivated by enjoying the training, knowing I'll feel better after (not necessarily before), and that improvement only comes through consistent and persistent training with genuine and honest intensity and intent.

Now, get back to training.
    Until again,
    Lynn Seiser PhD MFT
    Yondan Aikido
    Lucaylucay Kali/JKD
    Mugai-ryu Iaido

"We do not rsie to the level of our expecations. We fall to the level of our training." Now, get back to your training. KWATZ!

Likes (received)

Don't be too hard on yourself if your not able to practice all the time, or as much as you would like. With our many varied committments in life sometimes there is not enough time, and in some cases money, to do all of them. Just practice when you can, and when you do give all that you have on the mat. Personally I don't get to the dojo enough myself, but I go whenever it is feasible.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Though money should be no option in training in martial arts, sometimes it's a problem that can't be avoided.

Recently our club (Glasgow Uni ShorinjiKempo) had to scrap £10 a term training fees, because it was pricing us out of the martial arts 'market' at Uni. people could join other clubs for less, and they were. It's very important no make Budo as widely available as possible.

If someone is instructing Aikido for a number of years, I doubt very much their motivation is monetary. I certainly wouldn't give up 2-3 evenings a week and numerous weekends for not much money. I'd ask my instructor to keep an IOU of how much money I owed, and either try to pay it back through barter or pay him when I got a decent job. You shouldn't let money get in the way of something you love.

As an aside, apparently Mizuno-sensei (UK Chief instructor of Kempo) once told a class, "Love is very important, but if that person starts to get in the way of your training, get rid of her!" Now that's committment!
    JC McCrae

Likes (received)

Thanks for the words bro's. My main problem is I don't like asking people for help, in this case asking my sensei for a pay you back system.

If money is still bad for the next little while, I'll have to let my pride stop getting in the way of practice.

Once again, thanks. It helps alot.

Phill
    Phill Costa

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jailess
    As an aside, apparently Mizuno-sensei (UK Chief instructor of Kempo) once told a class, "Love is very important, but if that person starts to get in the way of your training, get rid of her!" Now that's committment!
    I'm sure the woman would have said the opposite to the student, cursing the sensei and the class.
    M Johnston

Likes (received)

Thumbs up if you are seriouse talk to your sensei

In my dojo we have experianced people who can't afford the fees to train if they are serious and are not just trying to get something for nothing they can train.After all we are subject to hard time now and again.Just to mention a few years ago my club was not doing well and was in danger of closing apart from 5 or 6 regular students.We all made a contribution to pay the rent for the next couple of months so we could turn the club around now we have over 10 regular students(Die hards) and another 5 students who turn up when the are nor working shifts we have money in the bank so if one of our studients fell on hard times we are always there to help.

Likes (received)

As an instructor I would choose the student, over 3 months dues. A 'no brainer'.

Likes (received)

ask for help. people have bent over backwards to assist me. the beikoku rembukan allowed me to attend several gasshuku at minimal cost provided that i assist with preparing the training hall, taking out garbage, etc. without their assistance, my iai and jo study would have been short-lived indeed. likewise, my aikido sensei has made it possible to attend several seminars and has given me clearance on a few occasions to pay dues late.

since then, my financial situation has improved, and it's more clear to me than ever: nice people rock. ask. and train.
    ed haponik