Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kaze Arashi Ryu Tessen Jutsu ???

Likes (received)

Default Kaze Arashi Ryu Tessen Jutsu ???

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the tessen techniques of the Kaze Arashi Ryu, any information would be great. I would really like to hear how they compare to other styles, the similarities and differences.
    Thanks,
    Tom Thornton

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by IronFan1
    Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the tessen techniques of the Kaze Arashi Ryu, any information would be great. I would really like to hear how they compare to other styles, the similarities and differences.
    Thanks,
    Search the fora on the name. There's been some conversation about them, mostly negative. I've visited and watched, they seemed like a sincere bunch to me, but there are questions about there lineage and claims.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by don
    ....there are questions about there lineage and claims.
    Damn! Of course that should read,

"....there are questions about DEM 'DER lineage and claims."
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------

Likes (received)

I read all the past posts on Kaze Arashi Ryu and the lineage issues don't concern me. I am just curious about there tessen techniques and how they compare to other arts.
    Tom Thornton

clive guth Guest

Default Iron Fan

I just know about Iron Fan techniques in Danzan-ryu.
    >>
    There is about 6 techniques on the Kiai No Maki list.

I too would like to know about other tessen arts in other styles.

Clive Guth

Likes (received)

Iron Fan

Not to be pedantic, but their "linege" ARE their techniques.

Unless they made them up, then the techniques had to come from somewhere.
    And that "somewhere" seems to be in some dispute.

Chris Thomas

Likes (received)

So if I asked about Daito Ryu Tessen techniques will I get the same response. There has been questionas about there lineage also alot of people seem to believe that tekeda was the founder so anything he claims as a lineage before him is questionable. Well how is that so different drom Kaze Arashi Ryu so Nishiyama seems to be the founder and anything before him is questionable. I consider both arts modern budo and thats why the lineage don't concern me. I was just interested in the tessen techniques. So is there anyone out there with info on the tessen techniques of the Kaze Arashi Ryu if so could you please answer some of my questions. If you want to respond to me privatly that would be ok, I really don't want this to get into a lineage discussion.

Thanks,
    Tom Thornton

Mark Raugas Guest

The tessenjutsu of Kaze Arashi-ryu is a minor art of the tradition, in which one does not recieve any licenses. It is considered part of our okuden, and as such, is not usually shown to outsiders. So, it would not be discussed on a bulletin board such as this; and if someone were to show you some of it without knowing you well before hand and trusting you not to share what you had seen, well, they just shouldn't.

That being said, it is not something you would be allowed to learn by itself. It is something that is taught after a practitioner has a firm grounding in our tradition's kenjutsu. A novel aspect is that if you have a fan with steel ribs, you can use it open as well as closed. And we have a lot more than six techniques.

On a related note:

Chris and Don, if you are well-informed, please tell me where Kaze Arashi-ryu came from. Be specific and point to concrete examples of ideas or strategies or patterns or ways of movement you've seen a licensed practitioner of Kaze Arashi-ryu do which are clearly borrowed from elsewhere. Please be concrete and cite examples.

It sounds like you are saying the techniques are no good. Maybe I am not reading you correctly. Please elaborate.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Raugas
    Chris and Don, if you are well-informed, please tell me where Kaze Arashi-ryu came from.
    Ha!

Thanks, but no thanks.

"Search the fora on the name" is what I wrote and I stand by it.

The threads are long and acrimonious. There are many interventions by moderators. I have no horse in this race. And my comments ("There's been some conversation about them, mostly negative. I've visited and watched, they seemed like a sincere bunch to me, but there are questions about there lineage and claims.") are right on target if you..."Search the fora on the name."

Good luck.

Enjoy.

I'm outa here.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------

Likes (received)

Mr. Raugas,

There is a dojo here in Pittsburgh thats teaches Kaze Arashi Ryu. They don't say that what they teach is Kaze Arashi Ryu unless asked. I am guessing they do this because there teacher no longer belongs to Kaze Arashi Ryu for reason unknown to me. I expressed interest in tantojutsu and tessenjutsu and was told I could study these two arts in private classes if I wished to. They said that each weapon could be taught as an art by itself. Anyways thats the reason I was looking for more info on the tessenjutsu of the system because I am looking into joining this dojo. Thanks for the info you did provide though.

Thanks,
    Last edited by IronFan1; 10th September 2005 at 23:09.
    Tom Thornton

Likes (received)

IronFan

No, your missing the point.

A-If you ask specific questions about Daito, then you get specific answers--whom trained with whom, when and for how long etc.

B-Even IF there are questions about Daito, or any other art for that matter--THAT MEANS EXACTLY NOTHING in terms of questions about the "windstorm style."

Its logically flawed--kinda like defending getting caught stealing by saying "well that guy stole too!!"
    See, even if your correct--which you are not, then questions about other schools DON'T address questions about "your" school.

Get it?

C-More to the point, by what measure can we judge the techniqes of the "windstorm school?"

If they are part of a classical system, then we "might" be able to use a comparison with other known schools--that appraoch assumes that there is a accurate basis for comparision--which we have not yet established.

And if they are not then its becomes horribly difficult to establish anything at all.

D-The questions assume that folks have trained long enough in the "wind storm school" to be able to render an opinion about the techniques.

In short--not sure many folks are going be able to answer your questiuon.

At least not to your satisfaction.

Chris Thomas

Likes (received)

All I wanted to know was some information on tessen techniques of the Kaze Arashi Ryu, thats all .... I am not missing the point, I got his point, I was trying to make a point of my own. Daito ryu has questions about there lineage before Tekeda and yet this is not the first thing brought up when a question is asked about techniques. As far as getting my question answered Mr. Raugas did answer it, not exactly what I wanted to hear but he did answer it. I will say this again I really don't want to get into a lineage discussion. lol ... I really don't know all that much to discuss the subject and it don't concern me like it does some. I just really want to study some form of tantojutsu and tessenjutsu because I have a deep interest in the two arts. The only reason I asked the question in the first place on here was because I knew practioners of Kaze Arashi Ryu posted on here from time to time.

Thanks,
    Tom Thornton

Likes (received)

IronFan

Fair enough.

But still, pointing fingers at others in no way serves to support the case of the "wind storm" ryu.

That questions can be asked of Daito in no way, shape, or form, somehow make "legit" another school.

By way of example, lets put this on me.

Say someone questions my training, I answer by saying--"yeah, what about IronFan? People have questioned HIS training."

Not only have I failed to support my own background, I have now tried to deflect the issue by pointing fingers at you.
    Both of which are simply wrong--ethically and logically.

I fully understand your interest in koryu and your reasons for posting.

I hope you understand that my answer is not intended to be harsh or somehow "mean."
    Just trying to be clear.

Chris Thomas

Likes (received)

I'd like to interject here. Some of the KAR tessen jutsu techniques are performed off of x-blocks which allow you basically open the fan in your opponents face, giving you time to draw your tanto. You can also hold one side of the fan, and snap the fan open, striking with the opposite side. Of course, you can use it closed as you would a short stick, to strike, lock, or throw.

Steve Baroody
    Steve Baroody

Likes (received)

Mr. Thomas,
    I have no clue how any of what your saying has anything to do with tessen techniques. I am sorry I even responded to any of it.

Mr. Baroody,
    Thanks for the information it was very helpfull in giving me an idea of what type of tessen techniques are in Kaze Arashi Ryu.

Thanks,
    Tom Thornton

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast