Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Naginatajutsu & Sojutsu - FAQ

Jonathon Sumner Guest

Patrick

You might consider the Jo as a system. The jo is taught as a weapon in some systems and as the main weapon in Shinto Muso Ryu. Not being an expert in anything I can't say for sure, but I think you can manupulate a jo in any fashioned like a bo, but because of its length one might be able to actually do more with it in terms of manipulation than you can with a bo.

There a few video tapes out there where you might be able to see some demonstration of Jodo/Jojutsu.

Just a thought...

JS

Likes (received)

Default Types of bo used in koryu bojutsu

Are there particular varieties of bo used in koryu bojutsu or do most ryuha just use whatever six shaku stick happens to be handy? Are there ryuha out there that use the tapered bo commonly found among karateka, or is this a relatively modern invention as I suspect? Are there width requirements for certain ryuha?

I know many ryuha have a bojutsu founded upon the principle of "oops I just broke my yari", so perhaps the very idea of a 'standard' bo is ridiculous. But I seem to recall there being a number of interesting variations on the bo, such as iron banded ones, metal capped ones, and octagonal ones. Old illustrations apparently show warriors using black lacquered staves and poles, so maybe the humble bo was occasionally given the same sort of treatment by an admirer?

On a tangentially related note, is there any bojutsu done in Shinto Muso Ryu jodo, or is it strictly jo? Going on the idea that jodo is an evolution from bojutsu I would guess not, but that's just a guess.
    James A. Crippen

Likes (received)

Default Shinto Muso Jo

Hello,
    there is are no bo-forms practiced in Shinto Muso Ryu. The jo techniques seems to be derived from Katori Shinto Ryu naginata, sword and bo techniques. The Katori Shinto Ryu bo is a rokushaku-bo(ca 1,83m), maybe the most common
    type in koryu. The movements here not seems to be related to the naginata techniques of the ryu so there is maybe no "broken naginata/yari" reason for the bo-forms. By the way handels a jo(ca. 1,28m long) very different compared with a bo.
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Default Naginatajutsu & Sojutsu - FAQ

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

I would like to know if anyone could help me get information on Yari-justu and Naginata-justu. I am VERY fond of polearms such as spears, halberds, etc. I would really like to learn more than what I currently know about them. I have been self-training in polearms for 4+ years. Thank you.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I'll answer any question you ask about me.
    Kyle Ingram
    Currently studying Kenkojuku Shotokan-Ryu, Capoeira Angola, and Tai Chi Chuan.

"There is more to this world than you know."

Likes (received)

I'm not qualified to give much info on the yari or naginata but just for future reference, it's not yarijutsu but rather sojutsu.

Likes (received)

Arigatou for that small piece of information.
    Kyle Ingram

Likes (received)

Well I'm not sure what you want to know. You posted this in the Gendai forum, so you may already know that there is a modern-day budo form of naginata-do. It is a little like kendo, though the naginata is used primarily.

There are older schools (koryu) that have sojutsu and naginatajutsu, so you may find something by searching in those forums.

I don't think there is any sort of gendai sojutsu, though evidently some of the ninpo groups will study it.

What exactly are you looking for? History, a place to train, or..?
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

What I'm really looking for is information on techniques and other things. Although if you know of a place in Mississippi where I can learn them that would be quite useful.

Although I would especially be interested in koryu naginata-do.
    Kyle Ingram

Likes (received)

Smile

"Kyle Ingram
    Currently studying Shotokan Karate
    & Investigating legitimacy of Konigun Ninjutsu"

I can't help with your question but, I can help with konigun Ninjutsu, go to the "Bad Budo" section and you should see a thread on them... should answer all questions of legitimacy.
    Michael Kelly

Ironically neither a Niten Ichi practitioner or in fact a ninja.

Likes (received)

Default Koryu.com

Check out http://koryu.com/guide/ryuguide.html

that would be a good place to start for getting the names of the styles. Then try the guys in the koryu areas.
    Matthew White
    Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
    Oklahoma City, OK

Mukeido Guest

I would especially be interested in koryu naginata-do.
    "do" forms 道 are not considered koryu. Naginatajutsu is koryu. Naginatdo is more correctly termed atarashii naginatdo and is gendai.

Investigating legitimacy of Konigun Ninjutsu
    What's there to "investigate?" It's fake, simple.

Likes (received)

Thank you for the link. Thank you Mukeido for the "do" correction.

Also, I have read all the threads on Konigun.
    Kyle Ingram

Likes (received)

Default Buy Ellis Amdur's book

Youmight want to get yourself a copy of Ellis Amdur's book, OLD SCHOOL.

Available through his website at www.edgework.info

There is a long essay on the the naginata in there. I can't recommend his stuff highly enough.

Regards,
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

Not sure why this is in the 'Gendai Budo' section. Go ask in the 'Sword Arts' section - people are into pointy things there...
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mukeido
    "do" forms ? are not considered koryu. Naginatajutsu is koryu. Naginatdo is more correctly termed atarashii naginatdo and is gendai.

What's there to "investigate?" It's fake, simple.
    To be precise, there are koryu forms of naginata which sometimes refer to themselves as such-and-such-ryu naginatajutsu, but Atarashi Naginata is the proper name for the Gendai form. Naginata-do is specifically not used, and should not be used.
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast