Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual West Coast Taikai

Likes (received)

Default 1st Annual West Coast Taikai

Ladies and Gentleman,

Please allow me to take this opportunity to announce the 1st Annual West Coast Taikai.
    The event will be held at the Hilton Hotel, located in Costa Mesa, California on February 17th-18th 2006.

There will be a variety of seminars to choose from on that Friday the 17th, running from 8:00am to 6:00pm that evening by some of the most influential and highly ranked senseis of their specific arts from Japan and the USA.
    Following the seminars that Friday day, there will be a large Embu showcasing some of the individuals attending. This will take place around 7:30pm and is sure to be one of the largest collaborations for embu by both Koryu and Gendai teachers and representatives ever in the US.
    It will take place in the Catalina room with theater type seating completely encircling the stage.
    Some of the confirmed attendees both teaching seminars and performing demonstrations are:

Niina Toyoaki Gyoksui Sensei- Soke of Meishi-Ha Mugai Ryu IaiHyodo
    Sakaida Zenemon Sensei- 6th Dan Toyama Ryu Batto Do / Chief Instructor ZNBDR
    Bob Elder Sensei- 5th Dan Kyoshi, Toyama Ryu Batto Do / ZNBDR
    Mike Femal Sensei- 4th Dan, US Federation of Batto Do / Toyama Ryu batto Do
    Tom Smyth Sensei – 5th Dan, US Federation of Batto Do / Toyama Ryu Batto Do
    Carl McClafferty Sensei- Okuden Menkyo. Shin Shin Sekiguchi Ryu / Nakamura Ryu
    Brian Stokes Sensei- Suio Ryu Iai Kempo
    And a host of others that will be included on this list in the coming weeks.

Sponsors of the event will include the following:

Howard Clark ( Yusho / overall winner of the event) L6 Katana
    CAS Iberia
    Mugen Dachi (All targets for the event and seminars)
    Tozai Imports
    Legacy Arts / Ted Tenold
    Robin Ramirez Custom Fitting
    There will be more sponsors added in the coming weeks.

Saturday will start at 9:00am and will run until 5:00pm or until we are finished! The divisions for this event are listed as follows:

Batto Do Kata: (Toyama Ryu, Nakamura Ryu, ZNBDR / US Fed. Seitei)

. Shodan and below
    . Nidan / Sandan
    . Yondan and above

Iaido Kata: (All styles)

. Shodan and below
    . Nidan / Sandan
    . Yondan and above

Batto Do Tameshigiri:

. Shodan and below
    . Nidan / Sandan
    . Yondan and above

Iai Tameshigiri:

. Shodan and above (Open Div.)

Wakizashi Tameshigiri:

. Open Div.
    Yoko Narabi: (Multiple targets vertically side by side)

. Open Div.

Futo Maki: (Multiple targets rolled together to make one large target)

. Open Div.

Dodan: (Multiple targets stacked on their side)

. Open Div.

Iai Dodan: (Multiple targets stacked on their side)

.Open Div.

This event is open to all serious practitioners of Legitimate Japanese Sword Arts! kata and waza of a traditional manner will only be accepted as will the normally accepted attire of Montsuki for those that have them and or Keiko gi and Hakama. No flashy red white and blue get ups will be allowed.
    This is a preliminary release and the complete taikai package and information will be available on www.tozaiimports.com web site by the first week of October. You will be able to go to that site and click on the link to the West Coast Taikai and receive all the information as needed. We will be up-dating the site regularly and will announce it here when we do.
    Also, we will be creating a discussion forum on the website for the taikai only. Any and all questions that one might have can be asked there and answered by myself or one of the appropriate people.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing you there!

Gambate

Tony Alvarez
    bigtony@senpokan.com

N.A. Shibucho Meishi-HA Mugai Ryu IaiHyodo
    W.C. Shibucho, Zen Nihon Batto Do Renmei / Zen Nihon Toyama Ryu Iaido Renmei
    VP. US Federation of Batto Do

BIG TONY

Senpokan Dojo
    Tozai Imports

bobelder Guest

Default West Coast Taikai

The dojo members at Orlando Toyama RYu are coming to your taikai en masse. Will be nice to go to one for a change! Good luck Big T. Your gonna need it.

Likes (received)

'Squze my lack of knowledge, but whats the difference between Batto tameshigiri, and Iai tameshigiri? (At least I did read the ad.)
    Patrick Breheny

A closed mouth gathers no foot

When your enemy is commited to making a mistake... we must not interupt him too soon (Horatio N)

Likes (received)

... whats the difference between Batto tameshigiri, and Iai tameshigiri?
    Big Tony may elaborate on it, but basically it's that batto tameshigiri is from standing, iai tameshigiri begins in seiza.

Sherry has pencilled it into her calendar, so we'll definitely be there. Not sure how we'll afford it yet, but we'll be there!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Batto tameshigiri: http://toyamaryu.org/CuttingVideo.htm

Iai tameshigiri: http://renfield.net/blogged/2005/07/cuttin.html

I will be accompanying Niina-gosoke from Tokyo, and we'll get a bunch more members from Japan to come, too.
    It's going to be a blast!

Regards,

r e n

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Sherry and I are really looking forward to the taikai. I'm glad it is early in the year so I will still have vacation time. I'll have a chance to wear my new formal threads. Got a bit carried away in the kimono shop. Okay I got really carried away.

Tony has been supporting us here on the East coast and it is about time that we can start paying him back. Tony and his crew are great people and I'm happy to help. I hope to see everyone there. The seminars should be first class and good luck to everyone competing.

Mike Femal
    Shinpan Bucho US Federation of Batto Do

Likes (received)

Wish I could be there. My first born is ready to pop out and meet the world any day now. Once that happens, all my moolah will be sucked right out of the bank. The tix from Tokyo to Cali are actually pretty cheap, too. But, alas I will be busy witha new martial art (new to me, anyway) of dodging poo filled diapers. Or just plain dodging the diaper duty.
    Will there be a website with pix and video from the event? I'd love to check those out after it's all said and done.
    To all who comptete, I wish you the best of luck.
    Jon Bracamonte
    Toyama Ryu/Soga Ryu Batto Jutsu
    Former Shorinji Kempo punching bag

Likes (received)

Talking More to the point (ha ha!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by UKPatrick
    'Squze my lack of knowledge, but whats the difference between Batto tameshigiri, and Iai tameshigiri? (At least I did read the ad.)
    Patrick,

Batto-style begins like Kenjutsu Kata - blade is out of the Saya; Iai-style begins like Iai-/Batto-Kata - blade is initially in the Saya so that the first cut is nuketsuke (one-handed draw-and-cut).

I'll be there if I have the time and $$$ since my work situation is currently in flux.

HTH.
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

I'm thinking that Chris Moses and myself and possibly some of the other Shinto Ryu guys from here will head down.
    Sounds like a good time and a nice opportunity to meet some people in person.
    Best
    Jeremy
    Jeremy Hulley
    Shinto Ryu Iai Batto Jutsu
    TNBBC

Likes (received)

Default Tony you never told me how much you liked that wrapping paper...:P

Bastards! It's got to be that weekend?

Can't come this year, previously scheduled familial duties break my heart.

See you all in 2007 I guess.

Ah well, you won't miss me much anyways.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Thanks for the info people - apparently I have been Batto tameshi-ing without knowing.
    Patrick Breheny

A closed mouth gathers no foot

When your enemy is commited to making a mistake... we must not interupt him too soon (Horatio N)

Likes (received)

Well, even though I won't participate in any of the events, I would like to come to Cali and meet some of the JSA crowd. So I'm definitely going to try to attend.

Regards,
    - Alex Dale

Likes (received)

Well, even though I won't participate in any of the events, I would like to come to Cali and meet some of the JSA crowd. So I'm definitely going to try to attend.
    That's what I did last year, at the Tucson Taikai. I recommend it!
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

That's what I did last year, at the Tucson Taikai. I recommend it!
    But be warned Alex, we'll give you a hard time about not competing like we did Nicojo this Spring!

Sorry you won't be there Kem. There's still next August in Orlando though!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

If I get to drink Tony's good booze while sitting in his garage and yacking with everyone like last time I was in Costa Mesa, I'll head down too.

This time Jeremy or Chris gets to drive.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast