Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual West Coast Taikai

Likes (received)

Last time I had a drink in Tony's garage, by 2:00am it was converted into a barber shop... I still have a shaved head.

Official member of the Bob Elder Fan Club
    Dan Keupp

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Yamamoto
    If I get to drink Tony's good booze while sitting in his garage and yacking with everyone like last time I was in Costa Mesa, I'll head down too.

This time Jeremy or Chris gets to drive.
    Does that mean we can't call you, "Kato" this time?
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

If I get to drink Tony's good booze while sitting in his garage and yacking with everyone like last time I was in Costa Mesa, I'll head down too.
    That would be cool! Out of everyone on my list of West Coast folks that I need to buy a drink for, Chris is the only one I've managed to cross off the list.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

TY Paul, I'm really just jealous.

Shelly's family is coming to experience Arizona. Had to schedule it far in advance to fit all the schedules.

I'd rather be cutting!

Orlando might be out too; that's usually when our Japan contingent comes to test us.

There's still next August in Orlando though!
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Plan on at least three of us from Chicago making it out there, Tony. Looking forward to seeing everyone out there again, and meeting new folks from parts unknown..!

Likes (received)

Default Tony gets all his good booze from me.

This time Jeremy or Chris gets to drive.

Neil,

I will be bringing this. And yes, that does say 30 years old.

This will be my outlet as I try to do my imitation of Tom Smyth and help organize this thing. We just started and we're already tired. Now I understand why Tom, Bob, and Mike look so old. I mean, umm worn out. Oops, I mean tired. Oh hell with it, just come and share my scotch.

Dave Neeley

Senpokan Dojo
    Senpokan dojo barber
    Tom Smyth wanna-be
    Regards,

Dave Neeley

Senpokan dojo

Likes (received)

30 year old scotch is a good reason... to do almost anything

Dave, you are a good guy for an uncouth barbarian, to share that bottle. Strathisla is a decent highland at 12 years. I just killed off the last of a bottle a bit ago. If this holds true to the distillery character it should have a nice sherry nose, some fruit and and honey in the background.

The mouth will be hints of toffee and malt sweet, slight smoke in the background, some earthiness and grass. Tone it down with water it will bring out some sweetness.

So, I guess I'll spring for a bottle of Connemara Irish to contrast. Or maybe Ardbeg or Springbank.

Hell, you can call me Kato for that 30 year old too.

Likes (received)

Dave, you are a good guy for an uncouth barbarian, to share that bottle. Strathisla is a decent highland at 12 years. I just killed off the last of a bottle a bit ago. If this holds true to the distillery character it should have a nice sherry nose, some fruit and and honey in the background.

The mouth will be hints of toffee and malt sweet, slight smoke in the background, some earthiness and grass. Tone it down with water it will bring out some sweetness.

So, I guess I'll spring for a bottle of Connemara Irish to contrast. Or maybe Ardbeg or Springbank.

Hell, you can call me Kato for that 30 year old too.
    And I bet it tastes good too!
    Regards,

Dave Neeley

Senpokan dojo

Likes (received)

Now I've got to make sure I get there before Neil can drink it all!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Talking

I'm looking forward to it. I'm Paul from the Orlando Dojo with Sensei Elder and I'm already clearing my calander for it. I can't wait for it. Plus it gives me an excuse to go to California. I hear your beaches are pretty awesome.
    Paul Koseenanonth

"<i>There is no preventing a fire from emitting smoke</i>"

Likes (received)

Default 1st Annual West Coast Taikai

I'm looking into ways of being able to go for this event,
    at least for a visit and hopefully some of the seminars.
    Regards
    Arne Oster
    MJER (with a background in Mugai Ryu)
    Sweden

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by RoninPK82
    Plus it gives me an excuse to go to California. I hear your beaches are pretty awesome.
    Hi Paul, this is Carlos who occasionally gets to Bob Sensei's classes in Orlando (I just moved ironically to a place for work, where I work about 2 miles or so from the West Coast Taikai). I can vouch for the beaches - they're GREAT!!! Also, if even HALF of the folks who are supposed to show up actually show up, it's going to be a blast!!!

Hope to see you in Costa Mesa! Tell Bob Sensei that Carlos says "hi!"

Carlos
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.

Likes (received)

Ok guys,
    Here’s the first up-date of information for the West Coast Taikai!
    We have created the registration forms and payment options at http://www.westcoasttaikai.com/

Please go there to register for the desired seminars and events that you will be attending and competing in.
    Should you have any problems, you can email me at bigtony@senpokan.com

Also, we have added the Taikai Forum which is being designed to enable all who are interested in attending to be able to direct any possible questions or concerns to us there. This forum is a work in progress and will be changing daily as we will be adding the different subject areas. This should be complete by Sunday the 16th.
    My reasoning for this forum is to allow the people that are not used to the taikai environment the ability to ask questions as they wish for any and all seminars and divisions as needed.
    For example, many of the US competitors that have attended the Orlando Taikai are not familiar with YokoNarabi or Futomaki. They can inquire about these divisions and techniques through the Taikai forums. What will Elder sensei’s seminar cover and will there be enough beer to go around, etc.

Things are moving quickly and the event is only four months away!

Please look for more information to come.

Carlos,
    if you are out here now, you should drop me an email and we can get you in the dojo so you can train. I have a couple of open spaces, so get in touch.

See ya.
    BIG TONY

Senpokan Dojo
    Tozai Imports

Likes (received)

Default Registration Update

Two packages have just been added to the Taikai registration:

Taikai Package #1: Competition package. $150

Iai Kata
    Batto Kata
    Batto Tameshigiri
    Dodan

These are the fundamental events for any taikai. The package results in a $55 saving from the individual events.

NOTE: Wakizashi Tameshigiri can be substituted for Iai Kata. If you wish to make this substitution, please note it when you register.

Taikai Package #2: Cutting Package. $150

Dodan
    Iai Dodan
    Fudomaki
    Yokonarabi
    Wakizashi

All advanced cutting events. This package results in a $60 saving over the individual events.

More to come in the coming days including event rules, additional seminars, and detailed instructions on the new cutting events Fudomaki and Yokonarabi.

Please visit the official taikai website at www.westcoasttaikai.com.
    Regards,

Dave Neeley

Senpokan dojo

Likes (received)

Tony, would you mind clarifying if "Batto" kata is going to be standing kata or specifically Toyama/Batto Renmei kata? Inquiring minds want to know...
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast