Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need help...dojo in trouble

Likes (received)

I know word of mouth is considered the best way by most people but like Amir said new people don't enter your group often. I personally have talked to all my friends and i have only had one join but didnt sick with it.

My instructor doesn't like demos he say they don't work. My idea about demos is that it is more about educating that recruiting. I think they are fun.

I don't think using the media is bastardizing the art but because my instuctor learned japan he think we don't need it beacuse people should be knocking down our door to learn. Please keep in mind I am from Mississippi and we are a state of homebodies(just lazy).

We don't test like other schools either, only once a year but we are in the process of changing that to quarterly mainly because of the USJI changing their bylaws or something like that. Personly I like the traditional belt system.
    Bill Turner

Judo and Aikido

I think I am going to start my own style...everyone is invited to be under me of course. I will be called "Beat-the-dog-with-frying-pan-Ryu" I develop this from many years of studying "Nin-pot-smaK-a-ryu-justsu-kai-te-fu" which is a 50,000 year art from Japanimaca. The head of the Ryu is Sum Dum Guy. Everyone know him he a 50th degree.

Likes (received)

Where in Mississippi are you? I might be able to give you a bit of help.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

The jackson area.
    Bill Turner

Judo and Aikido

I think I am going to start my own style...everyone is invited to be under me of course. I will be called "Beat-the-dog-with-frying-pan-Ryu" I develop this from many years of studying "Nin-pot-smaK-a-ryu-justsu-kai-te-fu" which is a 50,000 year art from Japanimaca. The head of the Ryu is Sum Dum Guy. Everyone know him he a 50th degree.

Likes (received)

Really? I'm a Jackson native myself. What's your dojo name and how long have you been in operation? I might be able to help spread the word a little bit, though I don't get down there too often these days.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

As for the advertisement, you can do it in the way of blogs and signitures in forums. For the word of mouth part, you can just make it publicly known that you practice your specific art. When they ask, that is when you answer any questions that are available to you.

I can see your sensei's point of view for advertising since, while it will bring in more people, you might get those that are only there to "look cool." Anyone would rather teach a dedicated few than many who aren't so serious.

But before you do any major advertising, I'd definately ask your sensei whether or not he will let you do that sort of thing on your own terms.
    Christopher George
    Purdue Kendo Club
    My Kendo Blog

Likes (received)

get your dojo listed in some yahoo groups or get yourselves a spot on the google 'martial arts' directory. then chat it up with everyone you know who would be interested. You gotta work for it, people aren't gonna just come to you. Got a male friend who's interested in asia or japan? Tell em about Judo.. don't mean to sound sexist but I've found it's hopeless to try to recruit women to a dojo, they just aren't interested most of the time. Try hard and you'll get results, but they won't be instant.
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2