Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Is O-Sensei's level unattainable?

Likes (received)

David, good clarification. I've seen more than a few people attempting to discredit Mochizuki Minoru's Yoseikan waza based on the current state of Yoseikan Budo (particularly in France). I'm not associated with either group, but have a hard time reconciling people doing what looks like sport chambarra with what I know about Mochizuki Minoru's budo and character. I think we're all in agreement that it's an unfortunate situation for all involved.
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

Default Haven't seen it

Quote Originally Posted by chrismoses
    David, good clarification. I've seen more than a few people attempting to discredit Mochizuki Minoru's Yoseikan waza based on the current state of Yoseikan Budo (particularly in France). I'm not associated with either group, but have a hard time reconciling people doing what looks like sport chambarra with what I know about Mochizuki Minoru's budo and character. I think we're all in agreement that it's an unfortunate situation for all involved.
    Well, I haven't seen the sport chambara side but I had heard that they did a competitive kind of sword-fighting with padded swords.

Minoru sensei used to get out a couple of heavily padded swords to clarify his points in kenjutsu.

There's a place in one kata where you dash the other guy's sword to the side and strike down on his wrist. Sensei was working with me on this and he said, "Hit me on the wrist." So I hit him with the padded sword, and he said, "No, I mean hit me!" So I hit him a little harder (he was in his late 80s at that time) and he glared at me and said, with a growl in his voice, "HIT me!" So I gathered up all my nerve and smacked him on the wrist. I was afraid of causing a blood clot. But he got an angry look on his face and said, "No! Like this!" and he went SMACK on my wrist with that padded shinai. My arm went half dead.

He liked to face off with you with swords (bokken) when he was old. His eyes became piercing. For those who never saw him, he was no tiny guy. He was short, but he had the build of a gorilla. And when he was old, he looked like an old gorilla, but when he faced you with a sword, time disappeared.

He would cross swords with you, make a couple of little feints, then stomp his foot to get a reaction. And he stomped it like Hell was coming through the door. I reacted, and boom! He hit me on the head. He was really fast with that sword, even in old age.

He was once doing a demo in a regular class and he told a young judo man to hit him on top of the head. The young guy was all too willing. He smacked sensei right on the head. It didn't bother sensei. After a moment, he told the guy to hit him again. I was at an angle where sensei couldn't directly see me but the young guy could, so I caught his eye and very slightly shook my head to tell him not to hit that elderly treasure. He backed off a bit.

Sensei was also doing ukemi in his late eighties. He let me throw him for a demonstration the first time I met him. It was exactly the opposite of what I expected, where you go up and the teacher throws you around and then sends you back to think about it. He had me throw him. So I knew he was no ordinary martial artist. He would sometimes have people throw him in class to demonstrate various techniques. And he would sometimes get out there and do a sutemi or three. And Murai sensei, who looked like a sparrow-sized falcon, did sutemi randori with bunches of larger black belts when he was in his seventies and eighties.

I know that Hiroo was very impressive the times that I met him, but I just don't have a motivation to go his way.

Best wishes,
    David Orange, Jr.

-------------------------------------------------------

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
    Lao Tzu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by szczepan
    Well Chris, take a look at the old movie from 1935 "Budo". It was shot long ago before K.Tohei started training.
    What do you see at this movie? Uke is running like a crazy attacking O sensei. O sensei himself is also constantly moving. Do you see typical Daito ryu pins, where uke taps for five minutes and tori still applying a lock? Do you see static reception of attack? …….hmhmh..may be one or two……all the rest is very dynamic. Normally O sensei didn’t permit to secure holds by his attackers.
    Do you see famous legs control, tying uke in very sophisticated way, and other Daito ryu trademarks? None, instead, we can clearly see many dynamic kokyu nage, or iriminage from almost any attack. Large, wide movements, a lot of mobility, running, hopping................
    And then, compare this film, with early K.Tohei video i.e. This is aikido.

In fact, O sensei did deep changes and taught it in early 1930. That’s why Shioda sensei did free style in similar, dynamic way, and not in static Daito ryu way. Shioda, Tohei, Kisshomaru Ueshiba, they only copied Founder. In more or less advanced level, but they weren’t innovators.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one. When I watch that tape (and i have owned a copy for at least a dozen years) what I see is: A) ahighly skilled martail artist {Ueshiba}, B) highly competent ukes throwing themselves with Ueshiba's assistance.

Were they (the ukes) faking it? I don't think so, I just think that they were doing their best (which was excellent) to make their teacher look good (which they did). But this tape is a classic example of Aikido's "cooperative" attacks (or in other words, not attacks at all).

As for the Tohei video, I see a skilled aikido teacher having a difficult time handling an overweight, out of shape, lousy wretsler. But hey, I think that he (Tohei) was also holding back so as not to hurt the nimrod camera-man, but it ain't the fable of the aikidoka effortlessly downing his opponent.

Basically I think that these tapes are invalauble pieces of budo history, a lot of fun to watch, but of very little value in actaully evaluating the skills of both of these men (who for the record I believe were outstanding martial artist, although I do protest the deification of Ueshiba).
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Dan Harden Guest

Originally Posted by szczepan
    Well Chris, take a look at the old movie from 1935 "Budo". It was shot long ago before K.Tohei started training.
    What do you see at this movie? Uke is running like a crazy attacking O sensei. O sensei himself is also constantly moving. Do you see typical Daito ryu pins, where uke taps for five minutes and tori still applying a lock? Do you see static reception of attack? …….hmhmh..may be one or two……all the rest is very dynamic. Normally O sensei didn’t permit to secure holds by his attackers.
    Do you see famous legs control, tying uke in very sophisticated way, and other Daito ryu trademarks? None, instead, we can clearly see many dynamic kokyu nage, or iriminage from almost any attack. Large, wide movements, a lot of mobility, running, hopping................
    And then, compare this film, with early K.Tohei video i.e. This is aikido.

In fact, O sensei did deep changes and taught it in early 1930. That’s why Shioda sensei did free style in similar, dynamic way, and not in static Daito ryu way. Shioda, Tohei, Kisshomaru Ueshiba, they only copied Founder. In more or less advanced level, but they weren’t innovators.

Though I am using this quote-I am really not responding to Szczepan. This revisionism of Aikido’s history is like Stevens's. Although Steven’s fantasies are a much more fun read. Almost nothing stated above is true to history. In fact both teachers taught static techniques as well as free movements. Uhm...just like their founder- Takeda Sokaku- did.
    If anyone were or is interested in -actually-( as opposed to blathering) reading up and finding out about the history of Aikido-read the works of Stanly Pranin.
    Stan ,a historian and a journalist is one hell of an investigative reporter. He interviewed all the living people who stood next to Ueshiba while he was studying WITH Takeda, and all the people who trained with him when he decided to teach. He reads Japanese, and speaks Japanese, and he performed blind comparisons from interview to interview and used several investigative techniques on his interviewees.
    What did he find?
    There is no other verifiable art other than Daito ryu (23 years) that Ueshiba spent anytime studying.
    When it came time to teach Ueshiba taught……Daito Ryu
    All…not many…not most…ALL of those interviewed stated they were studying …Daito ryu
    They showed Stan their scrolls…they were all….not many……..not most…ALL….Daito ryu
    They even stated they knew Takeda was Ueshiba’s teacher.
    They were taught static techniques, they did free form.
    One of Ueshiba’s own students who got to feel Takeda left Ueshiba to study with Takeda
    All of the stuff about Takeda and the supposed large sums of money to train, as well as the other lies were exposed for what they were.
    Takeda in fact was teaching people who were refined, and in high positions and comported himself fine in those circles. I imagine that his being lied about and his student cheating him was the basis for him always “appearing to be mad” when he was there. But, that’s kind of like saying a rape victim has a bad temper around her rapists and then stating it must be her personality.
    Overtime Ueshiba changed. But, more importantly his son and Tohei took over teaching when Ueshiba retired and they established the syllabus we know as Aikido.
    Ueshiba would show up and bitch about what they were teaching. At one point saying it wasn’t his art.

It really does matter how many times people like Szczepan and Stevens attempt to reinvent the past.
    At the very least-
    It shames the man who they claim to support.
    It discredits his true vision from where he came to where he was pointing.
    It discredits Daito ryu and its real involvement
    If new students actually (as opposed to blathering) read Stans work it would then confuse those reading REAL history.
    It discredits Stans work and all the men who told the truth to Stan.
    If ya like Aikido as it is
    It discredits the real work of Tohei and Kissamaru

a New truth
    Our new readers need to know that what is largly accepted as truth today was not known and was in fact called a lie just a short fifteen years ago.
    Read Pranin. No one, to date, has produced any work to equal his. Not even close. It is no wonder that so many IN Aikido were furious at this early work.

As for the videos. One viewing wasn’t even necessary for me. It just reinforced why I left. Aikido doesn’t offer much by way of real combatives, and probably never did. I could only take so much of “Ueshiba did this Ueshiba did that. There is no credible measure of anyone even coming close. After Ueshiba and Shioda it seems it has been all down hill.
    Only time will tell if the fighting aspects of the art have been completely eviscerated.

Cheers
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 26th November 2005 at 15:48.

Likes (received)

Nice post Dan

I just wanted to add an interesting side note. I went to see Mr. Pranin give a lecture a few years back and one of the things that he said is that there is a lot of information held in the Ueshiba family archives that he had to agree not to publish or talk about (or else he would lose his access to these archives and most likely be shut out of certian interviews). Now, I can understand the Aikikai's stance on this (heck, if i had stuff that I didn't want people to know about either my father or grandfather, I would likely take the same position witha researcher).

Why do I join in these debates? Maybe I like tilting a windmills. But I also practiced aikido at one time, and while I no longer practice it, it was an important part of my "path" and I wouldn't be where I am without it (and one of the important lessons that I have learned from following these debates is the importance of being honest about your past).

I also think that it is interesting to try and understand what makes an intelligent rational adult suddenly start believing irrational things (like watching old Ueshiba videos and not seeing the cooperative effort). Of course, since Ueshiba re-invented himself as a psuedo-religious leader, this was his intent. A noble prize winner once said that "reason ends where faith begins". Truer words were never said.
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Dan Harden Guest

Hi Bruce

Cooperative play can be fun-though I like mine more in the form of training resistively with someone who knows how to undo what I am trying TO do. It's still play after all-but it segues into full resistance in a natural manner. It doesn't have to be redone or fixed to "work" against a fighter or resisting opponent;two different dynamics all together. There a plenty of people doing that very thing.
    All in all Ueshiba's level has been and can achieved by others. First and foremost one has to agree at what that level really was as opposed to what the myth makers supposed it was. and what it would "look like" today.
    Once the reality is there to discuss, we can discuss the format in which it was "played" with. Internal work can be expressed in many ways as it is formless. Not all attacks are the same so the results can change. An example would be: Ueshiba today would look different, as the attacks would be different, and the outcome would thus look different as well. The internal body skills would be identical. We just keep "seeing" it used with the same old attack forms. Today those attack forms are just different. You can do the same thing internally to control a hand-grab and feed into someone as you would to punch or to connect -to- a punch, kick or throw.
    Could they have used their skills seemlessly to fit today? I say "Yes!" This would apply to Ueshiba's only teacher- Takeda and his other students, Sagawa, and Kodo and his student- Shioda as well. They all were doing internal work as well. It is probably true from witnessed accounts that Takeda, Sagawa, and Kodo were just better at it.
    I just don't see how one can equal Ueshiba without doing what he did. I appears it can't be found in Aikido-if it ever was there to begin with. It's in Daito ryu or perhaps the Chinese arts. Ya have to go inside- to change the outside.

As for what makes rational people believe what he was doing was real. I have always supposed it was hope. There are many "people with issues" in these arts. Those that have never been tested like to hope they can achieve or be credited through affiliation with others who are great. Thus they tend to artificially lift those they want to equal. Its an old tale. Most folks can fight-not many can do it with style and composure.
    A whole other topic is why people train to fight but don't ever try it out.
    Cheers
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 26th November 2005 at 17:46.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Dreads
    This is probably a question which most experienced Aikidoka have become tired with, but it stills gets me. When I read stories about Ueshiba, I get the impression of a completely invincible man.

The stories of O-Sensei's triumphs over Judoka are really inspiring. As are most of his supposed achievements, such as being able to dodge blows from a master of kendo until the kendoka was unable to continue.

Now then, that million-dollar-question, why aren't we that good? We are, essentially, training in the principles and techniques that he laid down. I would even go so far as to say that very little of my Aikido training has been martial in nature, its mainly been about form and kata. This suggests that the people training me are, likewise, not as good as O-Sensei at simply performing nage on a live opponent.

I've heard some good suggestions. For example, iI read in an article I will look for again (but right now can't seem to find) that in Iwama, O-Sensei forbade kiai-shouts, and made the training as unmartial in nature as budo could possibly be. (Note that I practise Aikikai, not Iwama ryu, so I can't confirm this, but others using these boards could). Even then, what about those following the Yoshinkan style of Aikido? This style stems from a different era in Aikido's history, so why can't its practitioners show the same martial skill as O-Sensei at that time?

It leaves a remarkable amount of questioning. One solution that comes to mind is that O-Sensei was simply incredible at kiai-jutsu, and so could mesmorize his opponents and gain the advantage. Another is ki. Look at what some Qi Gong pracitioners can do - take blades to the skin, be run over with a motobike, etc - it seems possible that O-Sensei drew his strength from ki as do modern Qi Gong and other similar arts. Whatever it was, you have to ask, why was this not taught to his students? Or was it, in secrecy (which would mean the knowledge was still in existence today)?

On a related note - how did early Aikido sensei like Tomiki, Tohei etc appear so much stronger than modern Aikidoka? What's changed?

Of modern Daito-ryu - how many today are as strong as Takada? What was he not showing?

I accept that I will probably never reach these standards. The standard I will most likely reach is pretty worldly in comparison. I still have to ponder why this is when I still believe these people were this good.
    I would have to say that O'sensei's level is atainable, the problem lies withen the fact that we are not Japanese. We do not look at life, energy and nature the same way as the great masters did and do. Also it takes plain old time, and serious dedication, and even faith. ki is intangible, we can not capture it but it is there, we can release it, but it cannot be seen. To truley master the art takes strong mind, and Zan Shin, among many other things. We must live and breath the art in a fashion that it never leaves our mind, even whilst asleep. Most budo-ka are not this didicated, and being from the west we have a blcok in our views as we are raised from small children with a different indset, then we discover KI, and it flips us upside down for a while. Also many practiocioners are christian, so they often leave out or do not grasp concepts of Aikido cosmology, and many other things. I belive theyre are masters as good as O'sensei that walk this earth thanks to the guidence O'sensei left the world, but the having truley master the art and become part of it, walk humbly not proclaiming how great they are, because it is not needed. They lead by example that is often overlooked.
    --jp

Likes (received)

With Aikido I think we all have the potential to be great, but the things is men like O Sensei, Kano, and funikoshi these men were true innovators that preserved martial arts for us all. No matter the the style you wish to choose, these seem to in some way have influenced all martial arts at Japanese anyway.

I could be wrong but that is how I view them, as great innovators.
    Bill Turner

Judo and Aikido

I think I am going to start my own style...everyone is invited to be under me of course. I will be called "Beat-the-dog-with-frying-pan-Ryu" I develop this from many years of studying "Nin-pot-smaK-a-ryu-justsu-kai-te-fu" which is a 50,000 year art from Japanimaca. The head of the Ryu is Sum Dum Guy. Everyone know him he a 50th degree.

Dan Harden Guest

I would have to say that O'sensei's level is atainable, the problem lies withen the fact that we are not Japanese. We do not look at life, energy and nature the same way as the great masters did and do. Also it takes plain old time, and serious dedication, and even faith. ki is intangible, we can not capture it but it is there, we can release it, but it cannot be seen. To truley master the art takes strong mind, and Zan Shin, among many other things. We must live and breath the art in a fashion that it never leaves our mind, even whilst asleep. Most budo-ka are not this didicated, and being from the west we have a blcok in our views as we are raised from small children with a different indset, then we discover KI, and it flips us upside down for a while. Also many practiocioners are christian, so they often leave out or do not grasp concepts of Aikido cosmology, and many other things. I belive theyre are masters as good as O'sensei that walk this earth thanks to the guidence O'sensei left the world, but the having truley master the art and become part of it, walk humbly not proclaiming how great they are, because it is not needed. They lead by example that is often overlooked.
    --jp

I would say this type of thinking is nonsense. Why then are there also no Japanese in his art who "got there."
    This Japanophile thinking is irrelevant and ludicrous. The Japanese are no better or worse than anyone else in physical skills. And if you think there is some other magical awareness that only a Japanese who has been indoctrinated into Shinto, Buddhist, or any other faith can “perceive-then where are they?
    The fact that you think there is something intangible and “beyond” a learned body skill will keep you right where you are at. There are many reasons that his students did not follow him. Chief among them being they did not do what he did or go where he went. And being Japanese didn’t seem to help them now did it? And all their talk of understanding "Ki" has produced just what? Since there are others who can do the Ki tricks (which are body skillls) and we do not believe in "Ki power"- where does that leave you?
    I would encourage you to go where he went, do what he did. It’s a start. The good stuff isn’t in the techniques and never was. Go inside and find your feet. Learn posture and believe you can remain balanced against all things, from all directions. Do some research and trust in your abilities. Stop being prejudiced about comparisons with the Japanese and the rest of humanity and open your mind. Embrace all men.
    I think Mr. Ueshiba would like that. It's why he started Aikido.
    Cheers
    Dan

Likes (received)

IMHO, I would have to agree with the assessment that Stan Pranin is more of a pure historian than a revisionist. Get the DVD of the back issues of Aiki-News and give a read to the interviews. A real education.

Since I never personally trained with O'Sensei or felt his technique, I have no way of knowing or measuring if it is attainable. So I just keep training to attain whatever level is possible for me.
    Until again,
    Lynn Seiser PhD MFT
    Yondan Aikido
    Lucaylucay Kali/JKD
    Mugai-ryu Iaido

"We do not rsie to the level of our expecations. We fall to the level of our training." Now, get back to your training. KWATZ!

Dan Harden Guest

Hi Lynn

As you know I agree with that observation about Stan. I have every issue since the begining. I followed his work through all the "formats" and years. Stan has some interesting stories to tell about his journey of discovering and just who was happy and not so happy about it.
    It has been a long way from then to now.
    Thankfully the new guys -mostly- seem to know Aikido's real history. To Stanley's good credit. But you still hear the ocassional nonsense about all the arts he "supposedly" but never actually "did" study and "the cosmology" being why he could throw...oh well.
    Makes me want to have this guy read where the Japanese students interviewed all said they couldn't understand anything the old man was saying and just wanted him to shut up so they could train. So much for energy shifting to the cosmic rhythms.

cheers
    Dan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harden
    Thankfully the new guys -mostly- seem to know Aikido's real history. To Stanley's good credit. But you still hear the ocassional nonsense about all the arts he "supposedly" but never actually "did" study and "the cosmology" being why he could throw...oh well.
    ...So much for energy shifting to the cosmic rhythms.

cheers
    Dan
    [off topic]
    Really makes me sad to see the current state of the AJ website and some of the featured 'blog' commentators. There's a few people perpetuating a lot of the myths that Stan previously helped to expose. I still really respect him as a researcher and value the resource that the archives make up, but don't really get or appreciate where the site seems to be going.
    [/off topic]
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

Default Modern Life

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harden
    I would have to say that O'sensei's level is atainable, the problem lies withen the fact that we are not Japanese. We do not look at life, energy and nature the same way as the great masters did and do.

I would say this type of thinking is nonsense. Why then are there also no Japanese in his art who "got there."
    This Japanophile thinking is irrelevant and ludicrous. The Japanese are no better or worse than anyone else in physical skills. And if you think there is some other magical awareness that only a Japanese who has been indoctrinated into Shinto, Buddhist, or any other faith can “perceive-then where are they?
    I don't think it's Shintoism or Buddhism but actual experience of a world gone away. No one can think like the old masters thought anymore. Our world is too polluted. It has polluted our minds. We would have to work decades to purify our minds to the degree that theirs was already pure and focused from an early age. And then they were taught deep skills by masters.

But even Showa era Japanese never experienced that kind of life. Indeed, it was fast fading when Takeda taught Ueshiba. I believe one reason both of them stood out so much was that they both had drunk deeply from the well of the old ways. That and the fact that aiki-jujutsu is so superb.

Ueshiba got very famous because he was quite a showman. If not for his spectacular demos, he would have been just as powerful, but obscure. And note that his demos were less spectacular, in some ways, than Takeda Sokaku's. I've read that Takeda would take all those opponents and tie them up in a big pile on the floor. This would be more amazing than simply throwing the bunch around and leaving them to get up and attack again.

I'd accept Takuma Hisa as being more or less equal to Ueshiba, and maybe even people like Kyuzo Mifune and Toku Sampo.

And I don't think anyone can equal those guys today, either.

Minoru Mochizuki didn't consider himself their equal and I don't know of anyone approaching Mochizuki sensei's level.

Please comment more on the internal body work.

Thanks.

[quote]The fact that you think there is something intangible and “beyond” a learned body skill will keep you right where you are at. There are many reasons that his students did not follow him. Chief among them being they did not do what he did or go where he went...I would encourage you to go where he went, do what he did.[quote]

But that's exactly what we can't do. Where is our Takeda Sokaku? And if we met him, how could we relate to him?

Go inside and find your feet. Learn posture and believe you can remain balanced against all things, from all directions.
    Would you elaborate more on what you mean by internal body work? I got involved with the Feldenkrais Method (tm) in Japan after being uchi deshi at the yoseikan. Applying Feldenkrais techniques to the aikido I had learned opened many windows of insight for me. Do you know much about Feldenkrais and how his methods relate to what you describe?
    David Orange, Jr.

-------------------------------------------------------

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
    Lao Tzu

Dan Harden Guest

[off topic]
    Really makes me sad to see the current state of the AJ website and some of the featured 'blog' commentators. There's a few people perpetuating a lot of the myths that Stan previously helped to expose. I still really respect him as a researcher and value the resource that the archives make up, but don't really get or appreciate where the site seems to be going.
    [/off topic]
    Chris
    This is just my opinion which isn't worth much.

Aiki arts
    Look at the numbers
    Aikido practitioners = huge
    Daito ryu practitioners =ouch
    Yanagi ryu = drizzle

Now, what if I were to say."Hey Chris, lets consider this your business. Make money appealing to the masses in these Aiki arts."
    Just how long are you going to survive swimming upstream?

Aikido attracts wierdos. Everyone knows it-even the good guys in aikido- and they hate it too. But it still attracts the fruitcake crowd. You know the whole “empowering yourself” crowd.
    Now,
    1. Since our man Stan is not one of that crew
    2. Since our man Stan did all of that research we all love

“Just what in thee hell do ya think Stan is thinking?”
    I can just see him reading Nevs blatherings and his eyes rolling up in his head-much like yours and mine do.

He just isn’t ever gonna say it. He gives the fruit loops a voice and the normal people as well. There is a living to be had feeding that old “Ueshiba as Shaman” myth. And it is just good business sense to keep him above everyone and let them think he is unreachable.

Damn it! I just have to work on my P.C skills

Cheers
    Dan

Likes (received)

[off topic]
    Really makes me sad to see the current state of the AJ website and some of the featured 'blog' commentators....I still really respect him as a researcher and value the resource that the archives make up, but don't really get or appreciate where the site seems to be going.
    [/off topic]
    Yeah.

What he said.

As a longtime supporter and cheerleader of AJ, I have some reservations about the site, too.

Stanley's contribution to aikido has been incomparable, it has certainly enriched my practice. His books and research are the best thing available. His Expo is redefining the parameters of aikido here and in Japan. The fora once hosted the best discussions on aikido on the web. The archives are marvelous. The movie clips are useful, too.

But, many look askance of his unstinting support for the narcissistic gasbags soiling his front page. He has made it clear that HIS prerogative is more important than what knowledgeable readers and loyal followers of his for years have to say about what kind of, if you will, *untennenable* nonsense appearing under his imprimatur.

Another disappointment, Stanley doesn't conduct the site like a business, even though some of it is subscription based. I've asked questions and offered suggestions--at AJ’s prodding--and they've

--1) been thunderingly ignored,

--2) dismissed (with something like, "If you don't like it, ignore it."),

--3) deleted (ironically as I was expressing concern for AJ's good name with its fronting of pap the aformentioned gasbag-writers unknown to the aikido community before the opportunity to appear on the home page of what was once the best aikido site on the web.)

Not exactly responsiveness I encourage in businesses wanting my money.

Sadly, the fora have become little more than advertisements ("Recommended reading" = something posted there years ago, i.e. bumps. Rude bumps as you often have to navigate to the page to find its vintage.) Hopefully, this is only part of the ebb and flow of fora traffic we see on most sites.

The "newsletter" more of the same.

The blogs are a damned nuisance. They duplicate the functionality of the fora and disperse discussion. And they attract crackpots who wouldn't be contributing if they had to condescend to post to mere fora like the rest of us lowlifes (although they are also the venue for the wonderful notes posted by Amdur, Goldsbury, Ledyard, Threadgill, et al.)

Still, despite my own dyspeptic ranting, it is a wonderful site and I feel Stanley deserves my support despite his cussed intransigence presenting bilge on his front page.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast