Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gassho Rei - what are its origins?

Peter from Oz Guest

Default Gassho Rei - what are its origins?

We've got an interesting discussion going around the dojo about the origins of gasssho rei. We can't find much in any of the texts that would support or deny our theories; can anyone point us to where info can be found?

Peter W

Likes (received)

Peter,
    I don't know the exact origins. The hands together salutation is a very old Buddhist one, usually not in front of the face, but at chest level. Mizuno Sensei once said that chinese secret societies had various hand positions (called 'in', like kesshu-in, gassho-in etc) to make themselves known to each other. I reckon Kaiso talks about it inKyohan. He doesn't mention its origins in the What is Shorinji Kempo? book.
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Likes (received)

I remember being told something about this, and apparently its similar to the idea behind handshaking - when you shake somebodies hand you use your right-hand which is also your weapon hand (for using swords or guns). So by shaking hands you are showing that you will not attack the other person.

But overall it would have originated from similar buddist movements.
    Leon Appleby (Tokyo Ouji)
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを
    SK Blog at http://www.leonjp.com

Likes (received)

Good question. Definitely goes back to India, at least.

When we had our public demo back in April, our guest instructor, Goto-sensei, have a howa about the meaning (not the origin) of gassho-rei. He characterized it as symbolizing the bringing together of people in common endeavor—the unification/harmonization of forces. It was a good speech.

Colin May
    Bellevue (next to Seattle), U.S.A.
    Shorinji Kempo Seattle Branch

Peter from Oz Guest

Thanks everyone. It's all pretty close to what we had come up with, although the one about being as a means of identifying that David brings up is an interesting line of thought too. Keep them coming if you hear more.

Cheers

Peter Wood
    Secretary / Treasurer
    Shorinji Kempo Gold Coast Inc
    Australia

Likes (received)

Hi Peter,

My understanding is that it derives from the Indian greeting salutation. i think they call it 'lamaste' in India. It has been slightly modified in kempo - no bowing of head, fingers held at eye level, fingers slightly spread and elbows away from the body.

My original SK instructor taught us that in SK we do not bow as we are all equal and to avoid losing eye contact with a potential agressor. The hand and finger position is for protection in case of unexpected attack.

Having said this, these days it is essentially symbolic and gives members of the SK fraternity a sense of belonging much as the sign of the cross give catholics one.

I remember in 1985 being at Ginza station. A small group of us were going to Hombu. We gassho reied (Is gassho rei a verb?) to greet each other. Within a few minutes, our group had grown substantially as others, recognising the salutation, joined us.

Cheers,
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"