Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tying Taske

aikijo Guest

Default Tying Taske

Does anybody know of any online directions for how to tie back kimono sleeves with a taske? I've seen it done by skilled budoka in real life and on videos but usually they do it so fast you can't see how they tie it.

Also does anyone know where I can buy a taske or how long they should be on average?

Thanks!
    Joe

Likes (received)

Hi,

Welcome to e-budo. You should add your last name to your posts, or in your sig, per e-budo rules. Someone will remind you if you forget.

It is called a tasuki and my teachers showed me. Do a search on tasuki or tasuke here and you will find some directions.

For some things, we just use a sageo. No need to buy a fancy-pants one. But it is hard to put it back through the kurigata sometimes.
    For other things, we just make our own out of white cloth. If you really want to buy one, some kyudo websites sell them for 900 yen or so.

Cheers to Wyoming.

---
    P.S. Try not to drool while you have the one end in your mouth. That is bad form.
    Last edited by nicojo; 13th October 2005 at 01:41.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

A Web search brings up a lot of links to a character named Tasuki (anime?), and only a few related to tying one.

Fortunately there was a thread about it here some time ago. Guy Power posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by ghp
    I first learned how to tie a tasuki back in 1971 when I was learning Mugai Ryu. To my knowledge, the tasuki technique is not a "Mugai Ryu technique" -- I just happened to learn it from the teacher. That tasuki technique was very similar to what was posted on this thread earlier; and based on memory (from a thread years ago) -- it is very similar to the technique that Diana Skoss learned.

1. Grasp one end of tasuki in your left hand, place it in your mouth, and anchor with your teeth; the "working" portion will be on left side of the mouth. Still holding the portion in your left hand near your mouth (hand can now can slip down the tasuki by about 8-12 inches), now grasp the working end in your right hand near middle of tasuki. You now have both hands on the tasuki.

2. Release your left hand -- you now have a loop between your mouth and right hand. When you release your left hand you create a "loop" between the mouth, tasuki, and right hand.

3. With the right hand, "throw" the loop around and to the rear of your left shoulder in a counter-clockwise direction while simultaneously "spearing" the loop with your left hand.

4. While your right hand is behind your head, bring it over the right shoulder (from rear to front) and pull to tighten the loop -- this action ensnares the left kimono sleeve.

5. Switch hands. Using the left hand now, "throw" the loop around and to the rear of your right shoulder in a clockwise direction while simultaneously "spearing" the loop with your right hand.

6. While your left hand is behind your head, bring it over the left shoulder (from rear to front). Tighten the loop by pulling the tasuki over your left shoulder to ensnare the right kimono sleeve.

6. With your right hand, grasp the anchor-end from your mouth, tie a pretty bow, and release the knot -- gently guiding it into place behind your back.

After practicing a while you will be able execute this technique in a smooth, elegant, figure-of-eight movement.

Cheers,
    Guy
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

aikijo Guest

Thank you very much for the information, and my appologies about the last name. I will be sure to add this to my posts from now on.

Brian: that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Joe Monfre

Likes (received)

Jeez Brian, make it easy for him! I, like Bruce Lee, simply pointed out the right direction for him...You walked him all the way to the moon!
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

What can I say. My shrink says I'm an enabler.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

One of the many magical moments in the Miyazaki anime _Spirited Away_ is when the young heroine is climbing a ladder and takes a moment to tie back her sleeves...

I have a nice piece of blue and white poly clothesline cord that I use as a tasuke...I keep it in the sleeve of the kimono I wear as a dressing gown. How long should it be? Long enough, and no longer...
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo