Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Before closing of the class....

Likes (received)

Default Before closing of the class....

With our dojo tradition, we do heiko daichi with the hands holding
    on our belt, then shout "hey, ho, who....." and bow.....

i know some of other goju dojos do the same thing....

anyone know why? anyone do the same? which ryu?

in my understanding, we have to relax our body mind from the higher
    alert status through shouting the above. Because training would be
    in high inspiration mind, high concentration......and we through the
    above kiai to relax us body back to normal status.....i train in goju base...

Pritt William

Likes (received)

I can't tell if your joking or not, hey ho who? It sounds like an army chant. We get down in siesan (im not sure if im using the right word, its where you sit on your feet), meditate, bow to the sensais, bow to the sempais (while in siesan), get back up.
    John Bellamy
    sho-dan Shito-ryu itosu-kai

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Seiza is the word your looking for. "Seisan is a higher level kata [I was taught it for fourth dan.].
    LIne up, adopt seiza mokuso [meditation] and then bow out.
    Same at the end and the beginning.

as for the ho, hee, hoo at with the hands holding the belt [thumbs hooked behind it?]. The first part I haven't ever seen before. The holdong of the belt would seem rude to most Okinawan/Japanese people. Its a bit like standing legs apart, hands on hips with your head cocked to one side like a street tough.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

Ah thankyou, im guessing its pronounced say-za. Im pretty sure he's joking, whenever I imagine a group doing that it just looks stupid.
    John Bellamy

Likes (received)

You guess correctly young sir! Maybe the shouting bit is Chinese [I wouldn't have a clue but it doesn't make any sense in a Japanese/ Okinawan context]. I haven't ever seen a Karate system, let alone goju ryu who hold their belt and bow- as I said, it would be considered thuggish.

Likes (received)

On the topic of closing class there is one odd thing I have wondered about. Usually instead of just sitting on the feet we always have the right foot on top of the left. I have wondered where this tradition has come from as it seems pointless and is uncomfortable (at least more than seiza).
    John Bellamy

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimbo
    On the topic of closing class there is one odd thing I have wondered about. Usually instead of just sitting on the feet we always have the right foot on top of the left. I have wondered where this tradition has come from as it seems pointless and is uncomfortable (at least more than seiza).

My Iai instr said that was from tea ceremony, not budo. That you can't get up quickly from there.

Rob

Likes (received)

Default :/

"hey, ho, who....."

What Daaaaaaaaaa

@_@

if if thats "phonetics"... WTF!

hey ho who @_@

be careful ur not at oms e dodgey BS MacDojo

i can say okinawan goju-Ryu, Okinawan Uechi-ryu, Japanese Goju-Kai, Japanese Kyokushin Karate and as a Japanese Speaker.... "Hei Ho Fu/who" is WTF!!!

Likes (received)

My Iai instr said that was from tea ceremony, not budo. That you can't get up quickly from there.
    Well, according to Kato Isao-sensei (soke of Owari Kan-ryu), the reasoning for crossing the feet in seiza is that it encourages proper posture and weight distribution, so that you actually CAN get up more quickly from there. I believe the line of thought he followed was (paraphrased) "If you assume seiza with the feet uncrossed, the body naturally slumps and rests the torso on the ground as though you were sitting. Crossing the feet encourages the posture to be straight and the muscles in the legs to work at maintaining such a position, so you can move swiftly if an opponent unexpectedly attacks you."

Kato-sensei then demonstrated how swiftly one could move from such a position by encouraging a student to attack shomen-uchi and performing a wrist lock (similar to the opening movements of aikido's shiho-nage, from my observation).

He also noted that, for the unpracticed, it's an uncomfortable and even painful posture. Better hurting and able to react than takin' it easy and dying, though...
    Roberto Valenzuela
    Owari Kan-ryu sojutsu (尾張貫流槍術)
    Shinkage-ryu heiho (新陰流兵法)

"Be intelligent, but do not be artificially intelligent." --Kung Fu Proverb

"Culture Check: Korean Arts still determined to make indigenous martial history from 4,000 year old cave drawings. France counters by claiming Savaate developed from hunting woolly mammoths before Ice Age." --The Nth Degree

Likes (received)

5th Brother: Please sign your posts, per board policy. The easiest way is to modify your profile.

Likes (received)

It would be nice if you wrote in English too. A Japanese speaker would pronounce WTF as "dabbayu tee efuu" BTW. Do you mean that the words are Korean and what the instructor says is Goju is actually Tae Kwon Do?

The bit about English is heartfelt- I'm an old codger and can't read textese. bear with me.

The Pagan Barbarian Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Likes (received)

Pritt,

I've never seen or heard about this and I'm training in goju too.
    Remi Vredeveldt

"Hysterical knowledge is often mistaken for historical knowledge"

Boni enim duces non aperto proelio, in quo est commune periculum, sed ex occulto semper adtemptant Vegetius Liber III, 9:5

Likes (received)

Default just an idea..

Reguarding the "hey,ho,and who"..that is not NORMALLY done in any Goju system I have ever seen. Perhaps it has just been added...to fill in space.

As for

"Seiza is the word your looking for. "Seisan is a higher level kata [I was taught it for fourth dan.].",Seiza is the correct spelling.It is a traditional Japanese/Okinawan posture used both inside and out of the dojo.Reading that Seisan is a higher level kata has got me curious as Goju Ryu makes up a part of a karate system I learned years ago. In Isshin Ryu the Seisan kata is the beginning kata...taught to a 'white belt'. It just proves how much is both learned AND left out of various Karate Do. Well, I nodoubt didn't have any influence as to either of these nor any other Karate Do as they both came way before my time,along with Shorin Ryu. Even if I had....the 'hey,ho,who" thing more than likely would not have been included even though that easily reminds me of some various Nei Gung (another name for chi kung) done in a few OLD Chinese martial arts.Considering these arts originate from White Crane Kung Fu(in Okinawa)there might be a connection. I doubt it..but there IS a chance that it is so until someone can check it out to be sure.

I RARELY post here as it is not apart of my life(martial) anymore. It should prove ...interesting.

John Hamilton

Likes (received)

The order of kata taught by my instructor was ; sanchin, gekisai dai ichi, gekisai dai ni, tensho, saifa, seiunchin, sanseiru, , shisochin, seisan, sepai, kururunfa, suparinpei. Other schools in Oz teach a similar syllabus as far as I have seen. Its interesting to see what level different instructors use different kata.

Likes (received)

Post End of Class

I have seen several endings following class, but the variation that I use at the end of my classes goes a little something like this:
    (actions presented here entirely in english for ease of reference, some commands are written phoenetically)

Line up (In a ready stance/natural stance) (Nar-en-de)
    Come to Attention (kil-skit)
    Standing Bow (rei)
    Formal Salute (From Kenpo)
    Standing bow (rei)
    Take Formal Seated Position (sei-za)
    Meditate/Cleansing breath (mok-su)
    Close meditation, pray (or further silence) (mok-su yame)
    Stand (audible grunt)
    Recite Karate Creed (A la Ed Parker)
    Attention (kil-skit)
    Standing bow (rei)
    Class Dismissed

We open with a variation, but we include seated bows to the instructors and to the respected (shomen) side of the dojo and a recitation of a student creed (and youth classes recite the pledge of allegience) prior to warm up.

I hope this adds to the variations.
    Christopher "AC" Wiley

...enough. Back to the makiwara.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast