Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Daito-ryu Study Groups

Likes (received)

Default Daito-ryu Study Groups

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any information that they could give me regarding starting a study group on Daito Ryu. I have attempted contact with a few individuals and have thus far come up with nothing. I know the mainline Daito Ryu under Kondo Sensei has study groupd, but I am having a hard time coming up with any contacts to see if I could even affiliate with them.

What I would like some help with is who to contact and what things (other than people) I would need to get going on this. I have a very small group of people who share my passion for traditional arts and we have decided that we want to seek out Daito Ryu, if possible. Now since there are no instructors in my local or even immediate area, this is what we have come up with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Brandon A. Needham
    Brandon A. Needham
    Tri-City Aikido TenShin Dojo

Likes (received)

Default Ouchy...

I've been "out of the loop" for a while, so to speak, but just south of you in Oregon (It's a heck of a trip I admit, but I drove there from Hood River when I was "more active" in the Martial Arts) there's a Roppokai group. The closest "mainline" I can think of off the top of my pathetic head (Not enough Coffee this AM) is in Cali someplace.
    Best bet is to keep checking this post, and see if someone who has more authority or is more qualified on the subject (Which is pretty much everyone else on the board) chimes in with their two-cents worth.
    Jared Albrecht

Likes (received)

Hello,

"Study groups" can mean anything from a formalized "probationary" dojo to an informal group of distance-students who practice together when qualified instruction is not available. As such, I would imagine "study groups" under some variation of these definitions is possible with most if not all Daito-ryu groups. Some would just be easier to establish than others.

If you are thinking of approaching the more conservative branches of Daito-ryu, I would suggest approaching them with the idea of simply training. If accepted as a student(s), you may or may not be allowed to study together in a semi-formal sense (ie: wear the group uniform, etc.). The more conservative branches are not as attracted to the idea of creating large groups of students as they are about finding the right kind of students who will actually make sacrifices to receive their training.

If I were you, I'd try to educate myself as much as possible about the various branches of Daito-ryu, decide which idiology you would like to pursue/support, and do your best to get accepted as a student. The branches of Daito-ryu are all significantly different. Find the right branch/teacher, and the rest should fall in to place eventually.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Default Thank You!

Nathan,I appreciate your reply, and you are right finding the right branch is needed, and I beleive I have done this. I have a small group of serious people (4 including myself) that want to learn Daito Ryu.

I have been on contact with a very nice gentleman in NJ and will be going to his dojo to train probably at the begining of the year (can't go to much due to me being on the west coast in Washington). He is mainline under Kondo Sensei. I will also be attending the seminar in Oct. 2006, and if there is an Aiki Expo this coming year I am hoping to attend that as well.

But, thank you very much for all the input and I am happy to be on my way!!!!

Sincerely,
    Brandon A. Needham

Likes (received)

Brandon, as you have a body of people, you could do worse than to invite him out for a week of intensive training and share the cost, so all of you have a collective knoweldge to bounce off each other, and promise to just practice within the group, until such time as you are skilled enough to take on new students, then check in with him regularly to check technique etc. This end of stuff _needs_ direct transmission.
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

Default Yes

You are correct, but I do not want to take students since I am not a teacher and it will probably be a long time before I would be able to do so anyway. And I will consider having teachers come out and sharing cost, we have actually tossed that idea around, just need to formalize some contacts first. I plan on attending a couple schools and going from there to see how receptive it will be.

Again, thank you everyone all input is very appreciated. I hope to train with some of you oneday.

Sincerely
    Brandon A. Needham

Yama Kai Bushi Guest

Brandon, Russell McCartney has a dojo in Seattle. He is a fantastic swordsman and is an aiki jujutsu instructor ( not sure of his background in aiki). Here is his website. http://www.ishiyamaryu.com/default.html

Hope this helps,

Mike England
    www.aikijujitsu.com

Likes (received)

Default Er...

Please note that the title of this thread is "Daito Ryu Training groups"... Mr. McCartney might be a really nice fellow and the bestest 'aikijujutsu' feller in Seattle, but he doesn't seem to bear sanction from a legitimate school of DR.

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

Default Daito Ryu

Well, I want to say thank you to all that have responded. I have been in contact with an individual who studies/instructs Daito Ryu and it seems as though I will be making a trip to the east coast a couple times and attending seminars as well.

We will see where it goes but I want to thank everyone for the responses. Perhaps some of us can meet at some point and train.
    Brandon A. Needham

Yama Kai Bushi Guest

Wink Forum Police

Quote Originally Posted by kenkyusha
    Please note that the title of this thread is "Daito Ryu Training groups"... Mr. McCartney might be a really nice fellow and the bestest 'aikijujutsu' feller in Seattle, but he doesn't seem to bear sanction from a legitimate school of DR.

Be well,
    Jigme
    Kenkyusha, Just trying to be helpful to Aikironin with my reply. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend the forum police.

Mike England

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Yama Kai Bushi
    Kenkyusha, Just trying to be helpful to Aikironin with my reply. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend the forum police.

Mike England
    Mr. England:

With all due respect, I think that your use of the phrase "forum police" confuses private individuals who provide accurate information with those who are formally tasked with the enforcement of regulations.

Best,

Fred Little

Yama Kai Bushi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kokumo
    Mr. England:

With all due respect, I think that your use of the phrase "forum police" confuses private individuals who provide accurate information with those who are formally tasked with the enforcement of regulations.

Best,

Fred Little
    My apologies. Have a great day.

Mike England

Likes (received)

Default Aikijujutsu

I did check the link that you placed on here Mr. England, however I could not figure out what Mr. McCartney did teach other than sword work. It says that he studied Aikido but doesn't mention what type of Aikijujutsu he studied, which only makes me suspect. But, none the less, I think I have found what I ahve been looking for.......FINALLY!!!!! And hope it takes off from there. Again, thank you all for your responses, and Mr. Scott, thank you as well.

I received the 2 Kondo Sensei vids and have been doing more research on the different branches as well to which I hope the one I ahve been in email and phone contact with works out. Anyway, have a great day all!!!!

In Budo,
    Brandon A. Needham

Likes (received)

Default Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu Kodo Kai

Brandon,

If you do not want to fly to the east coast Kiyama Sensei, is in San Louis Obispo, in California. His son Danny also teaches in LA.

Jason

Likes (received)

Default Dr

Which line of Daito Ryu is it that he teaches Jason??? And with whom has he studied? Any information would be appreciated!

Brandon
    Brandon A. Needham

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast