Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Daito-ryu Study Groups

Likes (received)

North American Director Of Daito Ryu Kodo Kai

Best,
    Ron

Likes (received)

The Daito Ryu Kodo Kai is one of the more "closed" associations in Daito Ryu. There are a few groups in the US, mostly in California, New York and Virginia.

Daito Ryu Kodo Kai was founded by Kodo Horikawa, a senior student of Sokaku Takeda. The best source of general info on the Kodo Kai (other than the organization itself) is the plethora of articles and the books on Daito Ryu done by Stanley Prannin of Aikido Journal/Aiki News.

I'm not a rep of the Kodo Kai so it wouldn't be proper to get into more detail, except to say that if you're looking for "real deal," you can't go wrong here. Just remember that the organization is NOT looking for publicity (think Sagawa here). Also be prepared to experience a bit of PAIN, as this is also NOT Aikido of ANY variety (in other words, don't go in expecting that your ukemi is good enough or your pain tolerance is sufficient... have a VERY open mind).

Hope this helps those who want to learn.

Regards,

Carlos

PS: Hi Jason!!! Sorry I missed congratulating you on your promo when I was in VA. If you come out to the West Coast to go to the NA HQ for Kiyama Shihan, etc., PM me and we'll do lunch or something!
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.

3. Likes StephenBaker liked this post
    Likes (received)

He teaches Kodo Kai, he trained under Kodo himself and then under Inoue, and now, I will screw up the spelling under Shimpo. He is a very nice humble man. He is very good. He will let anyone feel his tech, unlike many Daito Ryu people. It would not be a waste of your time. However, do not take my word check him out for yourself.

Jason

Likes (received)

Carlos,

Thanks for the congrads. We just got back form another weekend seminar with Sensei Goldberg. You are right about the ukimi. He steped it up a bit for us this last time. Good time On Sat. we spent 12 hour on the mat, and 6 on Sunday. Send me an email I travel allot as well as many of us do here in VA. My email is carrierjason@hotmail.com.

I know we do not advertise much but if he is on the west coast he could do worse than to go out and see Kiyama.

Jason

Likes (received)

Default Word from DR AJJ Kodokai

Hello all,

The North American Headquarters for Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu Kodokai, under the direction of Kiyama Shihan, has asked me to post the following quoted below to this forum on their behalf.

My impression is that the NA Honbu Dojo would prefer that those with questions about the Kodokai, Kiyama Shihan, and/or possible training opportunities within the group contact them directly rather than seeking (often erroneous) information about these subjects on the internet. It seems that many of the comments on the internet about the Kodokai are coming from either people who have little direct experience with the Kodokai or who are not even members:

For current information about training opportunities within Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu Kodokai in North America, interested parties are encouraged to contact our North American Headquarters in San Luis Obispo, CA by sending an e-mail to kodoaiki@earthlink.net . Those wishing for training information in the east coast area can also request contact information for Roy Goldberg through the above email address.

Please do not attempt to contact Kiyama Shihan directly.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 6th January 2006 at 23:10.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Agreed,

Just wanted to point them in the direction of close training.

J
    What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially.

Ayn Rand

Likes (received)

Jason,

Yeah, I can appreciate your intention, but your posts were some of the ones that apparently contained errors and/or was information that the Kodokai would have prefered to keep off the internet.

For what it's worth, my experience in general has been that, if you have not been invited to be a "spokesman" for an art, it is best to be very careful about what you say - or what you think you know - publicly. Usually an art will select someone who has full knowledge of things and is also aware of what things an art would like and would not like to offer to the public. I mention this because that is a position I was in for about 10 years with Obata Sensei's organizations, and was usually the one to ream others out for getting us into fights with other groups or posting/publishing incorrect or sensitive information publicly. I can tell you that some people got in a lot of trouble for making such mistakes.

If the Kodokai wants to post the names and locations of their instructors and dojo on the net (in America or in Japan), I'm sure they will select someone to do so. In the meantime, we now have a contact email address for such questions.

FWIW,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Likes (received)

Very true

Thanks
    What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially.

Ayn Rand

Likes (received)

Default Daito Ryu in Canberra

Does any one know of a Daito Ryu group in Canberra?

Jason Carrier
    Jason B. Carrier

Likes (received)

Default Roy Goldberg Sensei, Eastern US Daito Ryu Kodo Kai Regional Director

To expedite communication, Roy Goldberg Sensei can be reached directly by those interested in Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu Kodo Kai in the Eastern US, by e-mailing him at aikishingen@yahoo.com.

Dave LoPriore
    Member of Daito Ryu Kodo Kai

Likes (received)

Does any one know of a Daito Ryu group in Canberra?
    No, what's a "Canberra"?
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott View Post
    No, what's a "Canberra"?
    And more importantly, does it taste good???

Best,
    Ron (jujutsu been berry berry good to me [slap me now, please...])

Likes (received)

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by jasoncarrier View Post
    Brandon,

If you do not want to fly to the east coast Kiyama Sensei, is in San Louis Obispo, in California. His son Danny also teaches in LA.

Jason
    Do you have any contact info. for 'Danny" or anyone in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks!
    James in San Diego

Likes (received)

Mr. Gibson,

Check your PM's.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Hello,

And thank you for the opportunity to sincerely ask about any Daitoryu Kodokai instruction in Houston, Tx. I am relatively new to the Houston area. I have a sincere interest and great appreciation toward Daitoryu Kodokai. I have tried the internet and found no resources indicating instruction in my area. I have contacted the following webpage http://uskodokai.org/website.swf several months ago, and haven't gotten a response. I am wondering if that is the correct page I need to go to?

Any help in knowing if there is Daitoryu Kodokai instruction in the Houston Tx area would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast